Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Psychiatry to update its illnesses manual, invites debate: do you agree ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Psychiatry to update its illnesses manual, invites debate: do you agree ?

DSM V - the 5th edition of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders is now available in draft form. This is pretty much the standard manual for mental illnesses and - as mental illnesses have a social element, the categorizations prove controversial

Homosexuality for example used to be classified as a paraphilla in DSM I & II

Fetishests had been campaigning to get some of their paraphilias removed... but to no avail, indeed the manual recognizes a new one - Paraphilic Coercive Disorder, along with controversial old ones such as : Transvestic Fetishism ,Sexual Masochism & Voyeurism.

Addiction to "normal" sex has not yet been categorised as a paraphilia - but they're keeping a watchful eye.

There's also changes to learning disorders - e.g. replacing the controversial term "mental retardation" with "intellectual disability" ... and new "moral disorders" e.g. Callous and Unemotional Specifier for Conduct Disorder

What is mad... and what is not is a subject that needs healthy debate - "madness" is often informed by the norms of our time.... are all these disorders madness ?

Ultimately this new manual will cause political and legislative action - so it needs wide debate !

Here's a good overview news story:
    Big Changes for Psychiatrist's 'Bible'

Here's the proposed draft
    Home | APA DSM-5

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hear binge eating will be added, on a serious note the manual is used by insurance providers and if a new disorder is added it might make it more difficult for people with disorders to get insurance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cYp

"madness" is often informed by the norms of our time
    No doubt. So let's not be shy about it.

I suggest fiscal irresponsibility. Let's lobotomise Bertie.

Celebrity obsession, Compulsive Facebook Disorder.

Dictatorship Syndrome by Proxy, the main symptom is trying to run the country and/or the world through a talkboard.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4"]YouTube- Napoleon XIV: 'They're coming to take me away'[/ame]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liamfoley View Post
    I hear binge eating will be added, on a serious note the manual is used by insurance providers and if a new disorder is added it might make it more difficult for people with disorders to get insurance.
    Yep - binge eating as distinct from bulimia is going in

Proposed Revision | APA DSM-5
    A. Recurrent episodes of binge eating. An episode of binge eating is characterized by both of the following:

1. eating, in a discrete period of time (e.g., within any 2-hour period), an amount of food that is definitely larger than most people would eat in a similar period of time under similar circumstances

2. a sense of lack of control over eating during the episode (e.g., a feeling that one cannot stop eating or control what or how much one is eating)

B. The binge-eating episodes are associated with three (or more) of the following:[more]

cYp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    cYp
    No doubt. So let's not be shy about it.

I suggest fiscal irresponsibility. Let's lobotomise Bertie.

Celebrity obsession, Compulsive Facebook Disorder.
    Actually they are ruling out Internet addiction#

Also they still don't see drug abuse per se to be medically troublesome:
    Substance-Related Disorders | APA DSM-5

And the definition of the "psychopath" has been sharpened greatly:
    Proposed Revision | APA DSM-5

cYp

I think these diagnostic criteria are becoming less morally or culturally based and rightly so. Just waiting for the anti psychiatry posters to come on here and slam the profession and claim theres no such thing as mental illness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it is awful that psychiatrists are backing up the persecution of those with unusual sexual tastes:

'Sex dungeon' found in sleepy Devon village - Telegraph

Officers were alerted after neighbours reported "unusual behaviour" and "strange sounds" coming from the four-bedroomed house in Lee Mill, Devon.
    The sex dungeon was then found in a converted room filled with "hundreds" of items including whips, gas masks, wooden bats, handcuffs, clothes pegs and shackles.
    A 38-year-old man from Lee Mill, a 21-year-old woman from Ivybridge, Devon, and a 24-year-old woman from Plymouth have been arrested in connection with the incident.
    They have been released on police bail until April 30 to allow police to carry out further enquiries.
    DS Gilroy said: "We are glad to have disturbed this activity and restored normality to the neighbourhood. We would also like to thank residents who reported the activity to us."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are some pople on this site that need help , they do this to people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eurocitizan View Post

There are some pople on this site that need help , they do this to people
    And there are some people on this site who like it being done to them

cYp

Mentioned