Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sylvia Hermon out of UUP Leadership contest

Default Sylvia Hermon out of UUP Leadership contest

Sylvia Hermon has withdrawn from the UUP leadership contest:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4557047.stm

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well thaths them basically ************************ed. She was about the only chance they had of swinging back semi-moderate unionist voters.

Can't say I give a damn for them really, but I'll admit that I had a little gra for Lady Hermon.

And her creating turmoil in the Unionist vote would have suited SF to the ground.

What I will say, and don't ever say Shinners lack humanity, is that her decision I believe was mainly based on the care and attention that she would have had to give to her husband, currently suffering from Alzheimers, and that in itself, from the political pool of people who are generally so egotistical its frightening, is noble
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel

Can't say I give a damn for them really, but I'll admit that I had a little gra for Lady Hermon.

I think that was her primary problem.

Does this leave Burnside as front-runner?
    Paisley Lite...Guaranteed no added tolerance.
    "If there is a future, it will be Green." - Petra Kelly.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What I will say, and don't ever say Shinners lack humanity, is that her decision I believe was mainly based on the care and attention that she would have had to give to her husband, currently suffering from Alzheimers, and that in itself, from the political pool of people who are generally so egotistical its frightening, is noble
    Interestingly, Laurence McKeown's column in Daily Ireland last Friday made reference to how apparently, she poke on RTE radio and commended Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness for enquiring about her husband's health, which is something the DUP never did. He went on to speak about Republicanism's humanity. This is a point that is often missed, but I don't think it was by Lady Hermon. Perhaps that is part of the reason she doesn't want to go forward. I would say Empey is their only choice now. I'd prefer Nesbit, but that is unlikely to happen.
    "John Bull has got his hand down your pants and his fist around your bollox and you can't see it."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess Burnside is the front runner now.

Good news, he will not compromise on his principles and will not capitulate to terrorists.
    We can turn the world around
    We can turn the earth's revolution
    We have the power
    People have the power ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On a personal level she came across as a very nice Lady but Politics, esp. in the North is played HardBall and I don't think she is that kind of a person.

She probably is politically where is she going to feel most comfortable right now anyway: As a Unionist M.P. representing the Middle Class Unionists of the north County Down Coast.

Maybe if her husband dies she might reconsider, but as leader of the U.U.P. in the future?

Just can't see it - they would eat her alive.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa
    On a personal level she came across as a very nice Lady but Politics, esp. in the North is played HardBall and I don't think she is that kind of a person.
    Agreed. She will have a tough enough time as an MP in the Commons with all those Biblebashers surrounding her, with their braying voices - "Ulster says Nae", "Lundy!", etc, etc.
    We have the power

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lady Hermon
    You mean Sylvia Hermon, I presume? (That's right, the wife of the reviled former Chief Constable of the RUC.)
    "I hereby declare that the Continuity Executive and the Continuity Army Council are the lawful Executive and Army Council respectively of the Irish Republican Army, and that the governmental authority, delegated in the Proclamation of 1938, now resides in the Continuity Army Council, and its lawful successors."

Comdt. General Thomas Maguire

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Risteard
    Lady Hermon
    You mean Sylvia Hermon, I presume? (That's right, the wife of the reviled former Chief Constable of the RUC.)
    You're getting pretty boring, do you know that?
    We have the power

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast