Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Compensation for Soldiers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Compensation for Soldiers

I see there is a case before the High Court by a former soldier for compensation in respect of Post Traumatic Stress. Following on from the fiasco that was the Army deafness claims it seems we may be in for another "little earner" for the legal profession.
    It seems that certain members of the armed forces now think it is against their human rights to have been put in harm's way whilst serving in the military. What a joke. I hope the case gets tossed to nip this in the bud.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    I see there is a case before the High Court by a former soldier for compensation in respect of Post Traumatic Stress. Following on from the fiasco that was the Army deafness claims it seems we may be in for another "little earner" for the legal profession.
    It seems that certain members of the armed forces now think it is against their human rights to have been put in harm's way whilst serving in the military. What a joke. I hope the case gets tossed to nip this in the bud.
    May be he has a case, its hard to tell without some info. Do you have a link?
    As we are talking about a single identifiable individual, I think we should tread carefully before making accusations of compo culture. It is possible this man is suffering from post traumatic stress, and if so he may be entitled to more than has been offered.
    Cira/rira Not in my name.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this what you mean??
    I have no doubt that the man witnessed some terrible things. But I wouldn´t go judging him from a newspaper report. These things are quite delicate. Have a heart!

Former soldier claims stress disorder after incidents abroad - The Irish Times - Wed, Jan 27, 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nearly 30 years ago. If you join the army, what do you expect to see?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ignorant response.

boo-boo

Default Know what you are talking about

Do you even know what PTSD is? I suggest you read DSM IV.

First criterion

A person has been exposed to a traumatic event in which both of the following were present

1. The person experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others
    2. The persons response involved intense fear, helplessness or horror.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a joke. IMO, unless this "soldier" was ordered to do something illegal in which he developed PTS he should grow a pair and shut up.

Do these "soldiers" understand that the Irish army is not just the boy scouts for over 18s?

If you sign up for war, you will get war and war is hell. Its like a vegatarian complaing about her job at the butchers ffs.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edg View Post
    What a joke. IMO, unless this "soldier" was ordered to do something illegal in which he developed PTS he should grow a pair and shut up.

Do these "soldiers" understand that the Irish army is not just the boy scouts for over 18s?

If you sign up for war, you will get war and war is hell. Its like a vegatarian complaing about her job at the butchers ffs.
    PTS is a recognised condition that anyone can develop. If a soldier has his legs blown off the Army and state are expected to help him. This is no different. Some jobs are more dangerous than others, but the fact is that we need people to do them on our behalf. Those people deserve our respect and support, not judgement from the sidelines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its ironic that soldiers sign up to defend the state (and possibly die in the process) but in reality just end up robbing the state. Thieves in uniform.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fir Bolg View Post
    Its ironic that soldiers sign up to defend the state (and possibly die in the process) but in reality just end up robbing the state. Thieves in uniform.
    How do you reach that conclusion from this case. Do you believe that this individual is making things up? I would presume that his condition is not self diagnosed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast