Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 133

Thread: Fine Gael difficulties is Labour's opportunity.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Fine Gael difficulties is Labour's opportunity.

    The George Lee fiasco is turning into an unseemly mess. The raging FG hacks and reps are spinning furiously to try and discredit Lee in an attempt to save Enda Kenny's hide. Everyone knows that Enda Kenny is a walking pr disaster, and FG either don't have the balls or an adequate replacement for him. No amount of spinning by FG hacks or the likes of Eoghan Harris is going to change this fact.

    Harris it seems will spin for either FF or FG. It seems he's afraid that the current FG difficulties will allow Labour to make it a 3 way fight to become the biggest political party at the next GE. The possibility of Labour becoming the largest party is anathema to a conservative like Harris and he will say and spin absolutely anything in order to ensure that FF or FG continue as the biggest vote getters. Most importantly Harris is not alone in this task.

    FF have been the largest party in power for too long, a change is needed that is clear. But it is equally clear that FG is not the answer. It is likely that FG will play a role in the next govt. however it is time for Labour to ensure that either FG or FF's role in the next govt. will be a surrogate one. The people of this country are educated enough now to see through the spin of the conservative hacks who spend all their working hours maintaining the status quo.

    I firmly believe that the people of this country are ready to break the stranglehold of the FF/FG hegemony. The question is do Labour have what it takes to grab this opportunity and offer a real social and economic alternative to the conservative FF/FG block? For Labour I believe the opportunity is there now, they must begin to put some clear blue water between themselves and FG, and pull out all the stops in order to gain the most seats after the next GE.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    FG is a party with an economically responsible ideology, Labour support unions and driving up costs.

    The two are not compatible and don't have the same type of person supporting them.

    FG are dead in Dublin inner city and other places with low education while Labour are dead in the rural areas.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,041
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goatstoe View Post
    The George Lee fiasco is turning into an unseemly mess. The raging FG hacks and reps are spinning furiously to try and discredit Lee in an attempt to save Enda Kenny's hide. Everyone knows that Enda Kenny is a walking pr disaster, and FG either don't have the balls or an adequate replacement for him. No amount of spinning by FG hacks or the likes of Eoghan Harris is going to change this fact.

    Harris it seems will spin for either FF or FG. It seems he's afraid that the current FG difficulties will allow Labour to make it a 3 way fight to become the biggest political party at the next GE. The possibility of Labour becoming the largest party is anathema to a conservative like Harris and he will say and spin absolutely anything in order to ensure that FF or FG continue as the biggest vote getters. Most importantly Harris is not alone in this task.

    FF have been the largest party in power for too long, a change is needed that is clear. But it is equally clear that FG is not the answer. It is likely that FG will play a role in the next govt. however it is time for Labour to ensure that either FG or FF's role in the next govt. will be a surrogate one. The people of this country are educated enough now to see through the spin of the conservative hacks who spend all their working hours maintaining the status quo.

    I firmly believe that the people of this country are ready to break the stranglehold of the FF/FG hegemony. The question is do Labour have what it takes to grab this opportunity and offer a real social and economic alternative to the conservative FF/FG block? For Labour I believe the opportunity is there now, they must begin to put some clear blue water between themselves and FG, and pull out all the stops in order to gain the most seats after the next GE.
    Good luck - if you think FG are having difficulties adjusting to the new situation - go and join the labour party - I guarantee you that you'll have left in half the time George Lee took to decide politics was not for him

    Dont take it from me - just buy Pat Rabbite a pint next time you see him and ask him about the joys having to get all the Labour party's little fiefdoms and empires to actually do something positive collectively - the poor man was the verge of a nervous breakdown even talking about it.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    833
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    ...Labour are dead in the rural areas...
    * TDs places like in Galway West, Longford Westmeath, Wicklow, Wexford, Waterford, Cork East, Kildare North, Kildare South.

    * MEPs in Munster and Leinster.

    * Local councillors in all but three counties, including County Councillors in places like Donegal, Clare and Offaly.

    Dead in rural areas? You wish!
    Last edited by redhead101; 10th February 2010 at 07:44 PM.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goatstoe View Post
    The George Lee fiasco is turning into an unseemly mess. The raging FG hacks and reps are spinning furiously to try and discredit Lee in an attempt to save Enda Kenny's hide. Everyone knows that Enda Kenny is a walking pr disaster, and FG either don't have the balls or an adequate replacement for him. No amount of spinning by FG hacks or the likes of Eoghan Harris is going to change this fact.

    Harris it seems will spin for either FF or FG. It seems he's afraid that the current FG difficulties will allow Labour to make it a 3 way fight to become the biggest political party at the next GE. The possibility of Labour becoming the largest party is anathema to a conservative like Harris and he will say and spin absolutely anything in order to ensure that FF or FG continue as the biggest vote getters. Most importantly Harris is not alone in this task.

    FF have been the largest party in power for too long, a change is needed that is clear. But it is equally clear that FG is not the answer. It is likely that FG will play a role in the next govt. however it is time for Labour to ensure that either FG or FF's role in the next govt. will be a surrogate one. The people of this country are educated enough now to see through the spin of the conservative hacks who spend all their working hours maintaining the status quo.

    I firmly believe that the people of this country are ready to break the stranglehold of the FF/FG hegemony. The question is do Labour have what it takes to grab this opportunity and offer a real social and economic alternative to the conservative FF/FG block? For Labour I believe the opportunity is there now, they must begin to put some clear blue water between themselves and FG, and pull out all the stops in order to gain the most seats after the next GE.
    All they have to do is refuse to go into coalition with either FF or FG in the next election, forcing FF and FG into a conservative right wing government, and leaving Labour to lead the opposition for the first time in their history. Then for the first time in OUR history, we can have a choice between conservatives and social democrats......just like every other grown up country.

    The thing is...have Labour the cojones to do this? Or do they not understand the difference between power and office?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    FG is a party with an economically responsible ideology, Labour support unions and driving up costs.

    The two are not compatible and don't have the same type of person supporting them.

    FG are dead in Dublin inner city and other places with low education while Labour are dead in the rural areas.
    I agree that Labour and FG are not compatible but whenever they manage to get into govt. they are usually together. Because of this in the minds of many people, Labour's identity is attached to that of FG. I believe there is an appetite for change among a lot of people both in economic and social issues. You say that FG are dead in urban areas of low education? I reckon there is a new educated vote coming on stream that Labour can harness. I reckon this educated younger vote are fed up of FF being perenially in power. I also believe they don't want FG, otherwise FG would have won the last election. This younger vote is not in my opinion particularly left wing but they are not conservative certainly on social/ education/ religous issues in the way that FF and especially FG continue to appear to be. Labour can position themselves to pick up this vote but they need to identify it and pursue it aggresively..

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    46,516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goatstoe View Post
    The George Lee fiasco is turning into an unseemly mess. The raging FG hacks and reps are spinning furiously to try and discredit Lee in an attempt to save Enda Kenny's hide. Everyone knows that Enda Kenny is a walking pr disaster, and FG either don't have the balls or an adequate replacement for him. No amount of spinning by FG hacks or the likes of Eoghan Harris is going to change this fact.

    Harris it seems will spin for either FF or FG. It seems he's afraid that the current FG difficulties will allow Labour to make it a 3 way fight to become the biggest political party at the next GE. The possibility of Labour becoming the largest party is anathema to a conservative like Harris and he will say and spin absolutely anything in order to ensure that FF or FG continue as the biggest vote getters. Most importantly Harris is not alone in this task.

    FF have been the largest party in power for too long, a change is needed that is clear. But it is equally clear that FG is not the answer. It is likely that FG will play a role in the next govt. however it is time for Labour to ensure that either FG or FF's role in the next govt. will be a surrogate one. The people of this country are educated enough now to see through the spin of the conservative hacks who spend all their working hours maintaining the status quo.

    I firmly believe that the people of this country are ready to break the stranglehold of the FF/FG hegemony. The question is do Labour have what it takes to grab this opportunity and offer a real social and economic alternative to the conservative FF/FG block? For Labour I believe the opportunity is there now, they must begin to put some clear blue water between themselves and FG, and pull out all the stops in order to gain the most seats after the next GE.
    Sorry, but there's far too many things in that post that are presumed to be fact, but not backed up by evidence.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    46,516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corkoniense View Post
    All they have to do is refuse to go into coalition with either FF or FG in the next election, forcing FF and FG into a conservative right wing government
    No, forcing another general election in which Labour would suffer.

    and leaving Labour to lead the opposition for the first time in their history.
    Ah, there it is. You want FF and FG to do the hard work for Labour, and grant them leadership of the Opposition on a plate, because that'd suit some textbook of political theory.

    Then for the first time in OUR history, we can have a choice between conservatives and social democrats......just like every other grown up country.
    Firstly, that's an oversimplification of the positions of all three parties. Secondly, if the Irish people wanted that, they'd vote for it. The fact that, in election after election, they haven't voted for it, suggests that that isn't what they want.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edo View Post
    Good luck - if you think FG are having difficulties adjusting to the new situation - go and join the labour party - I guarantee you that you'll have left in half the time George Lee took to decide politics was not for him

    Dont take it from me - just buy Pat Rabbite a pint next time you see him and ask him about the joys having to get all the Labour party's little fiefdoms and empires to actually do something positive collectively - the poor man was the verge of a nervous breakdown even talking about it.
    Under Dick Spring Labour appeared to unite these fiefdoms as you call them. If they did it then they can do it now. The prize of becoming the largest party in the state should be enough to concentrate their minds, and develop a coherent set of alternative social policies that people are crying out for.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    FG is a party with an economically responsible ideology, Labour support unions and driving up costs.

    The two are not compatible and don't have the same type of person supporting them.

    FG are dead in Dublin inner city and other places with low education while Labour are dead in the rural areas.
    The highlighted sentence is the only statement verging on the truth. The rest is just ignorant nonsense. FG supporting auctioneers and councillors gazumped property throughout the boom along with their FF buddies and ruined the cost base of this country.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •