Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What will Ireland be like by 2016?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What will Ireland be like by 2016?

US opinion pollsters use a tracking measure of whether people think the country is moving in the right or wrong direction. Such a poll here, I believe, would show Ireland under Cowen is very much going down the tubes.

Basis for pessimism
    1. Those who were in charge, in government, banks and media who oversaw or ignored the then looming economic crisis are still in charge.
    2. The main opposition party is ineffective in opposing the status quo eg they pair for bertie, they have not raised that a minister has mislead the High Court and voted for the bank guarantee. It is no place for outsiders.
    3. youth unemployment and emigration is a drain on optimism.
    4.300,000 empty properties Blighting the country.
    5. nama will drain about 30-40
    Billion and transfer taxpayers money to international bondholders.
    6. The cuts have come too late and are not based on common sense eg mccarthy report largely ignored and government does cuts never reform.
    7.Public sector morale has never been lower, contrary to media opinion these affects a huge number of people.
    8 People talk of 'most vulnerable in society' but the 1200 in Victorian asylums, 5000 actual homeless and tens of thousands of children of disfunctional parents are ignored by politicians and media.

Can anyone suggest a basis for optimism in the next 6 years? .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post

Hard to see any, though one would hope the electorate would have a bit more cop on - i wouldn't hold my breath

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoguy View Post
    Hard to see any, though one would hope the electorate would have a bit more cop on - i wouldn't hold my breath
    Maybe Lenihan is deliberately screwing up just to get rid of Brian and he has a really good plan ready to put into immediate operation when he takes the reins. A long shot I know, but straws are better than nothing.
    Of course there is also the other very strong possibilty and that is, like Harney, the bankers know where the bodies are buried too.

Politics.ie Member libertarian-right's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is a complete lack of political will by all parties. The Irish system is a sham and is being protected by as the OP calls them insiders. If theres no reform from the top, we will see a stagnation for a decade.

Can over 400,000 people wait 10 years for a recovery? I dont think so, most will leave.

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post

The things you describe are apt, well put and a source of great tragedy for many, many people.

But we are alive. Where there is life, shelter, food and company there will always be room for optimism. Financial hardships can obviously devastate people's lives, and destroy their hope, if everything they've been working for is lost, but this is a time of reevaluation amongst the Irish people, as all hard times are. And I'm quite sure we will all discover hidden gems in our lives that we've overlooked for years.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sauntersplash View Post
    The things you describe are apt, well put and a source of great tragedy for many, many people.

But we are alive. Where there is life, shelter, food and company there will always be room for optimism. Financial hardships can obviously devastate .................. but this is a time of reevaluation amongst the Irish people, as all hard times are. And I'm quite sure we will all discover hidden gems in our lives that we've overlooked for years.
    Food, I wouldn´t guarantee & hidden gems might be revolution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2016 will see us picking up the pieces of a failed republic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by absconded View Post
    Food, I wouldn´t guarantee & hidden gems might be revolution.
    So be it. It wouldn't be the first time.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian-right View Post
    2016 will see us picking up the pieces of a failed republic.
    But there'll be a new one. A better one, a fairer one, a more just one, and another after that. This is the inescapable pattern of life. Growth and collapse, gradual improvement, transience.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am quite sick of party politics. I would rather vote for each individual ministry, listen to the merits of each person going for each ministry, rather then Joe Bloggs down the street who is promoted councillor who has lambasted so many civil servants for his "clients" just to reach the electoral quota.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast