Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: EU To phase out lightbulbs by 2009!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default EU To phase out lightbulbs by 2009!

Do we even live in a sovereign state that is capable of makeing its own decisions?. Is anyone else getting sick of that faceless entity the EU and their constant interferance?

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe they intend to phase out the wasteful tungsten filament type lightbulb, and not lightbulbs in general.

They intend replacing them with long life, low wattage CFL bulbs.

However, to answer your other question.. in reality no, we don't live in a sovereign state any more. When Nice 2 was put back in front of the people, our sovereignty effectively ended, de facto if not de jure
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: EU To phase out lightbulbs by 2009!

Quote Originally Posted by Redassmonkey
    Do we even live in a sovereign state that is capable of makeing its own decisions?
    There is no such thing as a sovereign state and never has been. We are impacted by economic, cultural and social pressures and always have been.

When Ireland joined the EEC it agreed to pool sovereignty.

As to this policy, it is 100% correct. The government should have done it long ago.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum - don't let the b*stards get you down.

Economic Left/Right: -4.13
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.36

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do we even live in a sovereign state that is capable of makeing its own decisions?. Is anyone else getting sick of that faceless entity the EU and their constant interferance?
    Is this a troll post, or have we just experienced a product of the underfunded Irish education system?

CFL lightbulbs use a tiny fraction of the electricity that incandescent lightbulbs use - I have just put in CFL spots with an 11W draw, but the brightness equivalent to 55W of incandescent (4 of them in one room, two in another).

Banning incandescent bulbs is an excellent idea.

Redassmonkey needs to get a clue before posting such idiocy on interweb boards! :twisted:
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPN
    Is this a troll post, or have we just experienced a product of the underfunded Irish education system?
    A quick look back through Redassmonkey's previous posts will quickly reveal that in this case it's both.
    Worth breaking my "no sig" rule for: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its not a bad idea but I get the feeling that once again we will probably sign up to something and find our hands tied into forking out large sums of money to implement this while other States backtrack and stall without fear of punishment.

Let all the States of the EU be bound by the same rules and regulations and esp the same Timetable to complete the transformation.

If not then we should be under no legal obligation either.

BTW not a snowballs chance of every home in the EU having these new bulbs in place within two years.

It will take 5/10 years for a changeover and thats with no State copping out.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Redassmonkey needs to get a clue before posting such idiocy on interweb boards! :twisted:
    Did I say the banning of tungsten lightbulbs was a bad idea?
    No I did not!. I did however criticize the EU and their nasty habit of telling so called sovereign nations what to do!. Do you have a problem with people who criticize the EU?.If you do then I suggest you "get a clue".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did I say the banning of tungsten lightbulbs was a bad idea?
    No I did not!. I did however criticize the EU and their nasty habit of telling so called sovereign nations what to do!. Do you have a problem with people who criticize the EU?.If you do then I suggest you "get a clue".

Get a clue monkey boy!

You might also get some tuition on basic English comprehension.

Now f**k off and don't annoy me with your idiocy! :twisted:
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa
    Its not a bad idea but I get the feeling that once again we will probably sign up to something and find our hands tied into forking out large sums of money to implement this while other States backtrack and stall without fear of punishment.

Let all the States of the EU be bound by the same rules and regulations and esp the same Timetable to complete the transformation.

If not then we should be under no legal obligation either.

BTW not a snowballs chance of every home in the EU having these new bulbs in place within two years.

It will take 5/10 years for a changeover and thats with no State copping out.
    You do realise that Ireland backtracks, stalls and cops out of more EU environmental legislation than any other member state?
    "If there is a future, it will be Green." - Petra Kelly.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sovereign Nations created the EU, and the EU Commission, and gave it the power to propose legislation, which is then passed by the democratically elected European Council.

Because you don't understand the function or the background to the EU doesn't mean it is undemocratic.
    The only way to change the world is to win elections.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast