Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bertie hopes to get to Heaven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bertie hopes to get to Heaven

He seems to think he'll get to the Catholic Church's heaven... yet he hasn't gone to confession in 40 years ? Do his peculiar beliefs cast light on his political persona ?

Ahern reveals deep religious conviction and hope of heaven - The Irish Times - Mon, Feb 08, 2010
    FORMER TAOISEACH Bertie Ahern has said that he lives by the Ten Commandments, the Beatitudes and his own conscience, and hopes to get to heaven when he dies.
    His government came under severe criticism for the deal they did with the religious orders, capping their contribution to the redress board at €128 million while taxpayers will have to pay out €1 billion....

Speaking to Gay Byrne in RTÉ’s Meaning of Life series last night, Mr Ahern described himself as a regular Mass-goer, but said he had not been to Confession for 40 years.

Mr Ahern said he believed in heaven and hoped that he did enough to get into it, but if he didn’t “at least what I meant to do was good”.
    cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope he does, because then I definitely will, and I will get into the better part of Heaven too.
    Economic Left/Right: -0.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.77

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHA

That is all.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's in for a shock. Calling God to witness lies, perjury, is a sin against the Holy Spirit. Of course, if he comes clean and exhibits true penitence then there might be a chance....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sure if Gay was to ask him if he thought he'd get into the Aras - He'd have said he would have as well....

You only have to feel sorry for him now.... Lights on - No one at home

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Envelopes Ahern
    Mr Ahern said he believed in heaven and hoped that he did enough to get into it, but if he didn’t “at least what I meant to do was good”.
    *vomit!*

This man doesn't know when to stop doublespeaking!!

Imagine someone saying this: Yesterday i approached a young lady with the intention of telling her how wonderful she looked but i killed her instead. At least what i meant to do was good!?

You can apply that logic to almost any negative situation to try make it a positive. People still like this charlatan. Why?
    Last edited by MrFunkyBoogaloo; 8th February 2010 at 04:40 AM.

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Remember how Ahern always showed up for LQ's in the Dail ashed-up on Ash Wednesdays? The Drumcondra Al Jolsen. I'm sure he used to do it to wind up the McDowells, Shatters and Quinns of this world with their private educations, SoCo accents and mincing liberalism. Post-religious girly men from Ranelagh were not Ahern's bag and the ash was a perfect opportunity to express his out-of-control inverted snobbery and contempt for poncey modern ways. The ash said he was an old-fashioned type with decent traditional values and - goddammit! - he was not ashamed to show it.

But empty gestures aside, what legacy did he leave to the very people he was communicating to with that ash? Negative equity, jobseeker's allowance and ghost estates. Decent traditional values, said the ash. I want power and nothing else, said the deeds. In fact, ash is a depressingly appropriate metaphor for the scorched earth policies that were the real Ahern.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wonder did gay ask anything about karma? something along the lines of - do you believe in an afterlife and do you think it might be an everlasting tribunal for lying corrupt people?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I watched that cringeworthy pile of shyte with Al Jolson and the leathery old Gaybe hasbeen. My God what a pair of useless has beens. Byrne simpering and the weasel going down his via dolorosa was plainly disgusting. This tripe was followed by Gormley making a fool of himself on the Week in Politics. RTE is a shameful mess. I would consider dumping the tele but the licence people would tax my computer anyway.

A great little country indeed...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Haldeman View Post
    Remember how Ahern always showed up for LQ's in the Dail ashed-up on Ash Wednesdays? The Drumcondra Al Jolsen. I'm sure he used to do it to wind up the McDowells, Shatters and Quinns of this world with their private educations, SoCo accents and mincing liberalism. Post-religious girly men from Ranelagh were not Ahern's bag and the ash was a perfect opportunity to express his out-of-control inverted snobbery and contempt for poncey modern ways. The ash said he was an old-fashioned type with decent traditional values and - goddammit! - he was not ashamed to show it.

But empty gestures aside, what legacy did he leave to the very people he was communicating to with that ash? Negative equity, jobseeker's allowance and ghost estates. Decent traditional values, said the ash. I want power and nothing else, said the deeds. In fact, ash is a depressingly appropriate metaphor for the scorched earth policies that were the real Ahern.
    Very good post. He had a lot to answer for even though he had excellent people skills and top notch at portraying an image of "the decent old skin". I find it interesting that, according to an earlier post (I did not see the programme), he has chosen not to go to Confession for 40 years. That is telling!!!!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast