Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 188

Thread: Why isn't the Berlin Jesuit sexual abuse stories on RTÉ?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Posts
    63,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Why isn't the Berlin Jesuit sexual abuse stories on RTÉ?

    It would be a lie to say I was surprised, but the Berlin sexual abuse story that broke on Friday has had an article in the back pages of the IT by Derek Scally and nothing else.

    Jesuit Priest Admits Molesting Youth: Germany Shaken By 'Systematic' Sexual Abuse at Berlin Catholic School - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

    This is a very relevant story for Ireland.

    The very widespread argument (locally defended by TA and treacherously employed by the apologetics as a get out for their religion) that sex abuse is an Irish rather than a catholic thing is rather undermined by it.

    Here's Scally's piece:

    Apology over sex abuse by Jesuit priests - The Irish Times - Fri, Jan 29, 2010

    Anyone see any other coverage?

    On RTÉ?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    worker bee in the P.ie bee-hive.
    Posts
    636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    l saw it in Spiegel online, but nothing here. Maybe our media is too engrossed in, say, Lillis to produce 'News'.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Posts
    63,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dot View Post
    l saw it in Spiegel online, but nothing here. Maybe our media is too engrossed in, say, Lillis to produce 'News'.
    I think there's a catholic lobby in RTÉ at least that had to allow the station to broadcast the recently broken Yorkshire story, but then felt they'd exceeded their bad-news-for-us quota once that was done.

    I wait to be corrected on this.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member readytogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I don't agree with the oft-made arguments that sex abuse is Irish rather than Catholic - the rate of abuse seems to be very high accross society, not only in Ireland but across Europe. Ireland's abuse rates are a lot lower than the world average, and in the US Protestant abuse rates even seem higher than Catholic ones. That said, these are two priests who abused children in a school. Paedos tend to concentrate in institutions where they have direct access to children. In the US, the abuse rates in public schools are incredibly high: AP: Sexual Misconduct Plagues US Schools - washingtonpost.com

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member readytogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    As you're far more likely to find Sticky neo-Marxists in RTE than Catholic activists.

  6. #6
    Gimpanzee
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aggressivesecularist View Post
    I think there's a catholic lobby in RTÉ at least that had to allow the station to broadcast the recently broken Yorkshire story, but then felt they'd exceeded their bad-news-for-us quota once that was done.

    I wait to be corrected on this.
    I don't think this story warrants coverage on RTE tbh. You can argue that what they are putting out has no more merit, but a church abuse case specific to a school in Berlin is way down the list of overseas stories that deserve coverage. Aside from the 'see, see, it happens there too' factor, I don't see what interest there would be in it.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member darkhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the hills with the daughters of Lenin
    Posts
    18,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aggressivesecularist View Post
    The very widespread argument (locally defended by TA and treacherously employed by the apologetics as a get out for their religion) that sex abuse is an Irish rather than a catholic thing is rather undermined by it.
    Not appologising for anyone, but most of the catholic child sex abuse I have read or heard about was either based in Ireland or was carried out by Irish priests based abroad - in countries such as UK, USA, Australia, etc.
    I have seen occasional cases on non Irish clery committing these acts in other countries - but these have been isolated individuals and nothing like the rampant and sometimes coordinated paedolphilic abuse that occurred in Ireland.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,095
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aggressivesecularist View Post
    It would be a lie to say I was surprised, but the Berlin sexual abuse story that broke on Friday has had an article in the back pages of the IT by Derek Scally and nothing else.
    Probably because the offences occurred thirty years ago, Germany already has abortion so there are no scalps to take and the public in general don't give a toss about child abuse anyway. Never have. Never will.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,095
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    Not appologising for anyone, but most of the catholic child sex abuse I have read or heard about was either based in Ireland or was carried out by Irish priests based abroad - in countries such as UK, USA, Australia, etc.
    Well maybe that's because non Irish media think child sex abuse cases are not news worthy unless the details are gratuitous.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Limerick East
    Posts
    4,610
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee View Post
    I don't think this story warrants coverage on RTE tbh. You can argue that what they are putting out has no more merit, but a church abuse case specific to a school in Berlin is way down the list of overseas stories that deserve coverage. Aside from the 'see, see, it happens there too' factor, I don't see what interest there would be in it.

    I agree, it would appear that neither the abuser nor those abused had any connection with Ireland, if the now former Jesuit had taught in Ireland or had been moved here it would be newsworthy but otherwise beyond the fact that child sexual abuse is a universal problem this case hardly warrants a lot of news coverage by the Irish media.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •