Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do about all those taxis?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What to do about all those taxis?

There are too many taxis in Dublin, over 12,000. What can be done to solve the over supply in the face of declining demand? We've had several dramatic protests by taxi driver unions lately and I agree that no more licences should be sold but they also need to face the fact that there are too many of them. How can this problem be solved? Will the market do it or should the city council or regulator do something?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Too little too late, you deregulate a market that consists of probably the most unskilled workers in the country at the same time as the country experiences the greatest influx of unskilled workers we'll ever see.

And that's the result.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get rid of more nightlink services. That will increase demand.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The taxi market wasn't deregulated, the issuing of licences was.

Raise the standards of cars so only full timers will be in business. Taxi should be no older than 3 years and have certain size/volume. Market will clear it in time anyway. Maybe if fares were lowered then demand would increase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is one of those things where the big outcry for the last 10-15 years (back into the last recession) was the lack of taxis.

As a market, it will sort itself out over time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Taxi's are far too expensive, it's nearly a fiver just to sit in it. Certainly in the city centre zone if taxi were much cheaper, there would be huge takeup but at present you couldn't justify 10e for a 3 or 4 minute trip. They problem is too many taxis chasing too little business, even the taxi men didn't want the last fare increase, you'd have to wonder what yet another one of our regulators is paid to do.

Politics.ie Member libertarian-right's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It keeps alot of people off the dole. Now if they only dealt with the regulation of their prices...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem is that at the time of deregrualtion minimum standards should have been introduced. Like most capital cities, Dublin should have a designated colour for taxis, to make it easier for people to spot them. Cars should be of no more than a few years old, have certain volume etc.

My understanding is that firstly the taxi regulator is doing a fairly incompetent job and seems to have annoyed both the taxi drivers and the general public.

Secondly, I think the taxi drivers are against any form of standards regulation, as it will force alot of them to actually invest. Currently, all that is needed, externally, is the roof sign which is placed on the roof via magnets, therefore the car can be returned to 'family car' whenever they like (and of course write off the fuerlas a business expense). Having the same as the yellow cabs in NY, or Black Cabs in London means that the vehicle is really only used for the sole purpose of being a taxi.

I felt at the time that this was short-signed by the taxi men, it did of course save them money and hassle in the short-term, but having no restricitions to entry was always going to lead to this situation.

Instead of whinging, the taxi drivers (those full time professionals) should be calling for these measures to be introduced ASAP. I know that new taxi licences will soon only be grated to certain aged cars, but it should be forced through as a matter of urgency.

The taxi companies also need to do more to advertise their services. Currently, most people see all taxis as the same, but 20/20 cabs have at least tried to make a difference based on price. Of course others could do so by service levels, driver knowledge etc. This will only affect calls and not on street pickups, but it would be a start.

Like any other business, the level of service and an ability to seperate yourself from the others that will be succesful. Merely whinging and waiting for others to fix your problems isn't the answer.

Something simple like the attitude of taxis at the airport. I know their situation is terrible, having to queue for 3 hours just so I can get a taxi to Swords. But it's not my fault and spending the entire journey complaining to me about it won't exactly indear me to taking a taxi. Remember when you go on holiday. Many taxi drivers go out of their way to help, giving out business cards to try to get future fares.
    "I've said it before, and I'll say it again: democracy just doesn't work". - Kent Brockman

In Valencia taxi drivers are members of a cooperative and in being so the drivers split the week in working so at any one point in time drivers will be doing 4 days one week, 3 days next week etc etc. This ensures everyone has work and streets are flooded all the time.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast