Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Tax deductible fees to Trade Unions

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member darkhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the hills with the daughters of Lenin
    Posts
    18,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Tax deductible fees to Trade Unions

    Should fees paid to trade unions be:
    a) tax deductible
    b) decucted at source from the public service
    What is about trade union fees that is more valuable to the nation than say, gym membership or sky sports which are not tax deductible?
    What is the advantage to the state if we all contribute to trade unions?
    Is this not something that should be stopped immediatly given their threats shut down the nation if they dont get their way in this crisis?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member DeGaulle 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    2,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Personally, I think a lot of tax reliefs need to be looked at. Take the subsidised bus tickets - why should well-off workers pay less for their bus transport than poorer workers or the unemployed? Similarly, why should well-paid workers have their union subscriptions subsidised while an organisation for the unemployed would have no such benefit?

    As regards whether or not they should be deducted at source, this may be convenient for the unions but it may be unnecessarily giving the employers a weapon in the case of a dispute. Unions would be in a stronger position if the money was coming directly from their members accounts.
    Vive le Québec libre ! Ag beathú na dtochardán ón mbliain 2007.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member darkhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the hills with the daughters of Lenin
    Posts
    18,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeGaulle 2.0 View Post
    Personally, I think a lot of tax reliefs need to be looked at. Take the subsidised bus tickets - why should well-off workers pay less for their bus transport than poorer workers or the unemployed? Similarly, why should well-paid workers have their union subscriptions subsidised while an organisation for the unemployed would have no such benefit?

    As regards whether or not they should be deducted at source, this may be convenient for the unions but it may be unnecessarily giving the employers a weapon in the case of a dispute. Unions would be in a stronger position if the money was coming directly from their members accounts.
    I dont believe there is any tax relief on bus tickets but check out this link if I am wrong
    Tax Credits, Reliefs and Rates for the Tax Years 2009 and 2010 - IT1
    Either way there is no comparison as the bus company are unlikely to take action to shut down the entire country.
    Having trade union fees deducted at source is a massive advantage to trade unions.
    Public servants, like anyone else, are very unlikely to write out a cheque to unions to pay their trade union - when faced with the choice of a night out or whatever.
    There is no reason why the state should accommodate the unions in this way - let them fight for their subscriptions like everyone else.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member DeGaulle 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    2,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    See HOME - www.taxsaver.ie - save up to 51% on bus fares!
    Vive le Québec libre ! Ag beathú na dtochardán ón mbliain 2007.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member dresden8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    14,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    Should fees paid to trade unions be:
    a) tax deductible
    b) decucted at source from the public service
    What is about trade union fees that is more valuable to the nation than say, gym membership or sky sports which are not tax deductible?
    What is the advantage to the state if we all contribute to trade unions?
    Is this not something that should be stopped immediatly given their threats shut down the nation if they dont get their way in this crisis?
    I think you'll find the government decided not to look at tax reliefs etc purely to concentrate on an attack on the public sector and social welfare recipients.

    Care to remember the commission on taxation and the Bord Snip Nua report?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member darkhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the hills with the daughters of Lenin
    Posts
    18,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dresden8 View Post
    I think you'll find the government decided not to look at tax reliefs etc purely to concentrate on an attack on the public sector and social welfare recipients.

    Care to remember the commission on taxation and the Bord Snip Nua report?
    The question is what is your view of the correctness of
    a) tax refief on union subs
    b) union subs deducted at source from the ps
    i already have a good idea of where the government stand on this

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Great news that tax relief on Union memberhsip fees is to be abolished
    ''Irish women were freed from slavery by Bingo. They can go out now, dressed up, with their handbags and have a drink and play Bingo. And they deserve it.''

  8. #8

    Default

    Tackling the big issues here folks

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member DeputyEdo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Co. Wickla
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatsyOriel View Post
    Great news that tax relief on Union memberhsip fees is to be abolished
    +1

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeGaulle 2.0 View Post
    Personally, I think a lot of tax reliefs need to be looked at. Take the subsidised bus tickets - why should well-off workers pay less for their bus transport than poorer workers or the unemployed? Similarly, why should well-paid workers have their union subscriptions subsidised while an organisation for the unemployed would have no such benefit?

    As regards whether or not they should be deducted at source, this may be convenient for the unions but it may be unnecessarily giving the employers a weapon in the case of a dispute. Unions would be in a stronger position if the money was coming directly from their members accounts.
    Why shouls PAYE people benefit from this when retired and self-employed people do not. It's grossly unfair.
    Negative equity, unemployment, emigration, IMF, bankruptcy: brought to you by Fianna Fail - destroying millions of lives for 80 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •