Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Donegal South-West hotting up

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Donegal South-West hotting up

Ocean FM Independents declare by-election intentions

I see both Cllr Thomas Pringle and Tom Conaghan have announced their intention to stand in the upcoming bye-election. Pringle is a very popular Councillor who should poll well. He will pick up a strong local vote in the Donegal Electoral Area, especially between Dunkineely and Glencolmcille. Conaghan will do well in his own area around Donegal Town but he wont be strong enough to make an impact. He will also pick up stray Fianna Fail votes as the average thicko will think by voting for a soft Fianna Fail Independant they are voting for change!!! I hear he is giving out about Donegal being forgotten about. I hear this alot from FFers in Donegal. One question for them is why did they not do something about it within their own party? Why didn't they make noise about this when their was a boom and Donegal was still lagging behind.
    With these candidates declaring their interests and Sinn Fein, Labour and Fine Gael holding their conventions soon the government will be pressurised into declaring the date.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SFInbhear View Post
    Ocean FM Independents declare by-election intentions

I see both Cllr Thomas Pringle and Tom Conaghan have announced their intention to stand in the upcoming bye-election. Pringle is a very popular Councillor who should poll well. He will pick up a strong local vote in the Donegal Electoral Area, especially between Dunkineely and Glencolmcille. Conaghan will do well in his own area around Donegal Town but he wont be strong enough to make an impact. He will also pick up stray Fianna Fail votes as the average thicko will think by voting for a soft Fianna Fail Independant they are voting for change!!! I hear he is giving out about Donegal being forgotten about. I hear this alot from FFers in Donegal. One question for them is why did they not do something about it within their own party? Why didn't they make noise about this when their was a boom and Donegal was still lagging behind.
    With these candidates declaring their interests and Sinn Fein, Labour and Fine Gael holding their conventions soon the government will be pressurised into declaring the date.
    FF will try to delay the by-election until 2012.
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF will try to delay the by-election until 2012
    I don't think they will be able to pull of a stunt like that. But they might and the fact they are the only party who haven't announced their date to hold a convention points to such a stroke, or else Headquartars will once again be dictating to the grassroots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm calling it for FG.
    Surely the election will be in the next 6 months.

Reasons:
    (1) Most unpopular government since neolithic times
    (2) They have a good candidate don't they? Someone off RTE who did well in the locals or some such
    (3) Joe McHugh's coattails. I expect him to be one of the top 10 vote getters in the next general election.

And BTW I'm not a FG supporter.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think they will be able to pull of a stunt like that. But they might and the fact they are the only party who haven't announced their date to hold a convention points to such a stroke, or else Headquartars will once again be dictating to the grassroots.
    I was at a function in Dublin last week and alot of the talk wes that from june '10 pat the joke has his eu pension time punched and that he will be the FF canditate. That what i call a stunt.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They will delay it this year, and then next year they will say, sure there is a general election in 2012 anyway. Lets have it then.
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster View Post
    I'm calling it for FG.

Reasons:
    (2) They have a good candidate don't they? Someone off RTE who did well in the locals or some such
    (3) Joe McHugh's coattails. I expect him to be one of the top 10 vote getters in the next general election.

Did he or did he not do well in the locals?

There is no some such about it. Either he did, or he didn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where is the slowey person who contested the last convention, why is he not contesting.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm calling it for FG.

Reasons:

Fine Gael will be in with a good shout. However I don't think they are strong enough to take the seat. In the last General Election, they only polled around 9,000 no.1s with a one candidate strategy. It would be accurate to say that most of McGinley's vote is personal, especially in the West of Donegal. However if O'Neill is the candidate he will poll well on the back of his council showing and cancer services campaigning and will be transfer friendly considering their are Independant candidates in his electoral area so he should pick up a few of these. This could make up for votes lost from McGinley who should go to Doherty. Slowey has been mentioned but would be a non-runner. Harley has also been mentioned and would do well in the Stranorler EA but giving the circumstances at this moment for reasons mentioned above, O'Neill is their best option. I think the final three will be the FF candidate, O' Neill and Doherty in no particular order. If the FF candidate is ahead, either Doherty and O'Neill will put the other in, as long as the dinosaurs in FG keep their mouths shut about transferring to Sinn Fein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster View Post
    I'm calling it for FG.

Reasons:

Elaborate on your reasons as to why mc hugh will be a big vote getter

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast