Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VHI v Aviva. What's going on?

Default VHI v Aviva. What's going on?

On browsing my online banking today I noticed my VHI direct debit for January was 188. That's 2256 PA.

Later this evening I was greeted by a flyer from Aviva offering me 415 discount on VHI based on 2Ads+2Kds.

I'm seriously thinking of switching. I get the anecdotal impression that many are switching. Anyone here done so ?

Is the VHI in big trouble ? We had the whole community rating debate last year and BUPA fecked off, I can't blame them for that, yet the VHI customer base is possibly getting vacuumed of it's younger members. By Aviva.

Surely the VHI can't last in this market ? It has the wrong end of the stick.

Wasn't the point of community rating to be that the younger generation pay premium which was ultimately headed for looking after the elder generation ?

If so, I think the concept of CR is smashed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I remember working for 2 companies and being offered "Discounted" VHI programmes. Both times it was at least 25% more expensive than my identical Aviva programme.

They're kept going on the customer base they built up before the competition arrived. As more of their exisiting customers....well die, and the competition continues to make ground, it's hard to see how they'll continue with their current pricing model.

boo-boo

Default Health Insurance

Was your policy up for renewal in January? There was increases in govt. levy and monies that have to be paid by hibernian and quinn to vhi in compensation for having an older client base - otherwise known as community rating.

If your premium was not up for renewal - you do not pay any increases in benefits until renewal date. Your contract was for a certain price over the 11 months if by DD. If they charged you extra above the agreed DD - I'd complain and then go to the financial regulator and the Health Insurance Authority. The insurance ombudsman is another avenue for grievance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197 View Post
    On browsing my online banking today I noticed my VHI direct debit for January was 188. That's 2256 PA.

Later this evening I was greeted by a flyer from Aviva offering me 415 discount on VHI based on 2Ads+2Kds.

I'm seriously thinking of switching. I get the anecdotal impression that many are switching. Anyone here done so ?

Is the VHI in big trouble ? We had the whole community rating debate last year and BUPA fecked off, I can't blame them for that, yet the VHI customer base is possibly getting vacuumed of it's younger members. By Aviva.

Surely the VHI can't last in this market ? It has the wrong end of the stick.

Wasn't the point of community rating to be that the younger generation pay premium which was ultimately headed for looking after the elder generation ?

If so, I think the concept of CR is smashed.
    Firstly check The Health Insurance Authority - Home they have a price calculator where you can compare the 3 companies in the Irish market

Yes VHI lost 120,000 members in 2009. Some gave up health insurance altogether, while others went to Quinn and Aviva. Press Releases, Houses of the Oireachtas

It was actually the risk equalisation scheme that was struck down by the courts. So Harney came up with this levy which is used to offset some of the costs of insuring older people that VHI faces.

However the more the costs go up, the more people will flock to Quinn and Aviva or give up insurance altogether. The older patients and people with health problems will actually stay with VHI, so they keep the costly patients and will lose more of those who subsidise the costly ones.

I understand why we have community rating, as if we had experience rating (people charged on the basis of risk) then PHI for older people would be unaffordable. However the current system does create problems, because it allows people to wait until late in life before they contribute.

I could join VHI/Aviva/Quinn at 25 and not claim until I am 60, but I have made contributions for 35 years.
    My next door neighbour might decide to join at 58 and after waiting 12 months can enjoy exactly the same benefits. Proposals were made 10 years ago to increase premia for these late joiners, but nothing has been done to date.
    Quimby can't be trusted-Vote Sideshow Bob for Mayor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXBDEPr9P9k

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I switched last year. I downgraded to Hospital Plan 1 with Aviva. I believe the net cost after tax relief for a family with 3 kids is €1,400 per annum.

Do your research. Get away from VHI as fast as you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=EvotingMachine0197;2416715]On browsing my online banking today I noticed my VHI direct debit for January was 188. That's 2256 PA.

[QUOTE]

What do you get for your 2256 per annum?
    What does it give you that you can't get from the public system?
    And is it worth 2256 per year?

My understanding (albeit it, quiet limited)

If you get seriously sick, ie. life threatening, you are as well off in public system.
    If you get emergency case, eg. appendix, you won't have a private room.
    Routine, elective stuff - tonsils, you will have a reduced waiting time, but still have option to go private and pay.

What else?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think it is worth the money. Just save it instead and if you get sick you'll have the cash.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The option of the private room and skipping the queue are big selling points to me. In addition due to the amount of travel I do, I like that I'm covered up to about 100k through Aviva for procedures. It's worth it to me as it's not a huge impact on my bottom line, if my pay dropped, it would be one of the elements I'd look to drop though.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Im with Aviva but have never had to claim thankfully...... VHI always gave me the impression of being a bloated monopoly that hasn't got used to the concept of competition yet , left a soon as the market opened up , a feeling reinforced by learning of the Pay scales at boardroom level in VHI

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I pay 1,800 with VHI for 2 + 2, but I generally get a rebate of about 350 each year for GP, Dentist and Optician visits. You get this under their Day to Day option.

I switched from Aviva to VHI when Aviva announced that they weren't going to pay the levy to the State, pending a legal challenge.

I asked could I keep the levy, and if they lost the challenge, I would pass it on to them.

Guess what they said.

And I support the levy anyway.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast