Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New York Times to Go Behind a Paywall Next Year

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New York Times to Go Behind a Paywall Next Year

New York Times to Go Behind a Paywall Next Year

The New York Times announced last week that it’s going to start charging a subscription fee for readers who want to view more than a certain number of articles, beginning in 2011. As the Times itself said, reaction ranged from enthusiastic to withering—from what I could tell, the predominant mood seemed to be withering resignation, and no one was really surprised. Everyone knew this day was coming—not just for the NTY, but for most news organizations that rely on original content and reporting. (I think The Guardian has pledged it will remain free for the foreseeable future).

From David Carr at the NYT:

People who remain reflexively bullish on free ignore the fact that the clock is ticking on many of the legacy businesses that produce that content. The new approach is an effort to replace that ticking clock with a meter, and its success is not assured but to sit still would be dumb. It is not the job of The New York Times or any other mainstream media company to give away its content until it can no longer afford to do so. By requiring certain kinds of digital consumers to participate, The Times is ensuring it will be in business for a long time to come. It could be a smaller business, one with less reach, but it will remain an engine of news and commerce.
    dot passed on this article on the move that critiques it as an unsustainable business model:

Flexible Or Paradoxical? Why The NY Times' Plan Is Inherently Self-Limiting

So are people ready to pay for content? For what it’s worth, I would have preferred a non-profity/foundation model—I’d be willing to donate, but I don’t want to be nickled and dimed to death for pieces I’ll never read. Or a micropayment system, a la itunes. I just think—like the music business—news orgs have waited too long to figure out a working paid model. There’s a generation out there that is just not going to pay—they will likely keep their older, more well-heeled audience, but they’re going to have a hard time getting new readers.
    bye-bye Empire, Empire bye-bye

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi ECE , heres what happened in 3 months to Newsday : After Three Months, Only 35 Subscriptions for Newsday's Web Site | The New York Observer (keep us posted about Stateside)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

35--that's hilarious. Of course Newsday had gone way downhill and tabloid-y before it tried the paid access thing.

One thing about new audiences--a few years ago I tried to browse the Irish Times to get a handle on what was going on before I made a trip, and butted up against its paywall (and why I found p.ie ). Even now that it's free, I haven't gone back--I think I have it in my google reader, but I don't look at it. Internet readers are flighty and rarely give difficult sites a second chance.
    bye-bye Empire, Empire bye-bye

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Journalist Authority and the issue of engagement via social media here >>> The Hugh Cudlipp lecture: Does journalism exist? | Alan Rusbridger | Media | guardian.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They already make you pay to use their archives which p's me off since it is all I want from them

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Given that in the industry the word on the grapevine is that the NYT is in dire trouble, and not likely to survive, it is hardly surprising that they have decided to charge for copy. Copy doesn't write itself. It is damn expensive to produce.

The NYT, the Washington Post, and a number of leading newspapers are in big trouble. Already some papers that it was thought would never fail have closed. In Ireland too a number of newspapers are in trouble. All the INM titles are in danger, as is the Irish Times and the Sunday Tribune is as good as gone. I wouldn't bet on the major INM titles being around by this time next year.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bump for an old thread to mention that two of the best websites for US news and politics have announced in recent days that they are also introducing paywalls.

Last week, it was Politico:

POLITICO to test metered paywall - POLITICO.com

And today, an announcement from the WaPo:

Washington Post to phase in a paid online subscription model - The Washington Post

For fans of US politics, this is sad news. But interesting that it appears these major organisations do believe a paywall model is viable. Crafty old Murdoch seems to have gotten it right again.

Others following this model include Andrew Sullivan's new, independent Dish:
    Daily Beast's Andrew Sullivan to relaunch the Dish behind paywall | Media | guardian.co.uk
    Towards Tablets And Paying For Content « The Dish

And of course the likes of Glenn Beck and Alex Jones also have highly lucrative paywall services.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awwww, now I will have to get the unchallenging view of one side of the acceptable spectrum of establishment opinion elsewhere. I mean, just what am I to do without Paul Krugman and Thomas Friedman to explain the world to me?
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well the Financial Times one is easily averted.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I miss The Times of London the most. The Telegraph will go paywall soon I think. The Guardian is bankrupt and will shut down in a few years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast