Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nct-v-road quality/safety

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Nct-v-road quality/safety

This is just an observation...!

By law we must have a valid NCT certification on cars over I think 3 years..? I have mixed opinions on this NCT requirement, but I accept it does provide a better standard for all older cars making them safer for road use.

We Joe Public-hard pressed motorists have to comply with the law, BUT what about the responsibility of local government-county councils-dept of transport to comply with providing safe roads. What laws are they breaking by not ensuring that as tax paying compliant motorists, VAT-VRT-ROAD TAX-NCT-TOLLS we have the most dangerous secondary roads in modern Europe.

I know this is a no brainer and that we are basically being screwed in every orifice, we are now in a much more serious fiscal situation and that means we will continue to see our secondary roads deteriorate much worse, and instead of seeing the 6 county council workers standing around the holes we will now see 4 of them filling that same hole that has been filled for years.
    I say this as I have to fork out for a new wheel rim and tyre having hit a pothole, skidding into a ditch and with a car that has been tested and certified as road-worthy...!!

Do you understand my point...!!! Accountability.....
    Mick Wallace for Taoiseacht

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment

"The Fish" by Elizabeth Bishop:

http://chawedrosin.wordpress.com/200...zabeth-bishop/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I drove from waterford through the midlands on friday. Oh my word. They were no potholes. They were meteor and asteroid impacts.

The front of my car left the road at one stage after hitting unmarked craters in the roads

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeupcall View Post
    I drove from waterford through the midlands on friday. Oh my word. They were no potholes. They were meteor and asteroid impacts.

The front of my car left the road at one stage after hitting unmarked craters in the roads
    I find the whole matter of regulation or lack of it in certain sectors bordering on criminal..our hard earned money is taken by direct and indirect and stealth tax ( I have no issue with paying tax ) as motorists and what have we got in exchange. Yes I acknowledge we have main arterial routes linking the main town's whilst we paid perhaps the highest price per KM for road building in Europe these are very much welcomed albeit tolled.

We now must be facing the reality that some of our so called A & B roads that are cris-crossed daily with people on business, selling business, delivering services etc all of which will have a tax take in some shape or other...these roads may become so dangerous, they will make the NCT look hypocritical as when one compares both are design to make road travel safer.

Motoring is a vital aspect of our economy as is broadband...now dont get me started on that Broadband..

Is it time for motorist's to come together and to refuse to pay certain aspects of motoring tax...NCT etc if the roads continue to become death traps.

The government needs to have an NCT test for the road network and I am sure many will be scrapped and deemed unusable.

AA and SIMI are toothless and of zero value to this economy...apart from traffic reports which we know will continue to grow worse
    Mick Wallace for Taoiseacht

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment

"The Fish" by Elizabeth Bishop:

http://chawedrosin.wordpress.com/200...zabeth-bishop/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

The local authorities are liable for damage where they have failed to maintain roads due to normal wear and tear.

Bot only are roads in poor condition but the design of some even new roads is shocking. The Mitchelstown bypass or relief road has a climbing (overtaking) lane which ends on the rest of a hill. Any one unfamiliar with the road might find himself on the other side of the road as the overtaking lane ends - it is difficult to see road markings on the crest of a hill.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NCT has nothing to do with the roads which are in a terrible state, EU said we had to have car testing ,hence the nct ,its a private company the government gets the VAT off the test

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The NCT has sweet F all to do with car safety, it is now and always was a money making scheme/ extra tax on motorists. Now they plan to collect every year (in the name of safety of course ). Have any of you ever seen a NCT being conducted? it is basically a glorified tyre kicking exercise that is usually over in less than five minutes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you have no rattles in your car going in for an NCT you will have when it comes out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Road Safety Authority would seem to have much more responsability in this area.
    As their name implies they have responsability for safety on roads.
    To date they have not published any standards or minimum recommendations on the safety of our road surfaces

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) is tasked with improving safety on our roads in order to reduce death and injury resulting from road collisions. The legal basis for the RSA is set out in the Road Safety Authority Act 2006. The RSA formally came into existence on 1st September 2006.

An objective of the RSA is to bring Ireland's road safety record into line with "best practice" countries throughout the World.

The achievement of this objective will involve cooperation with many stakeholders working in the area of road safety, including the Gardai, education sector, health sector,local authorities, National Roads Authority, the media and of course the general public

Road Safety Authority Home Page

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The NCT is a scam. Something like the MOT in Britain, several certified garages able to do it, would be fine. Queuing for months to pay money to someone to fail you for one of the two windscreen washer nozzles not squirting adequately, thus having to queue and pay them over again, that's extortion. But typical of this dishonest, rip-off country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

indicators not orange enough, number plates not the correct size, has anyone any figures on how many cars fail first time.?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast