Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Enda Kenny's grasp of Irish naval assets

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Enda Kenny's grasp of Irish naval assets

Couldn't really think of a good thread title, this being the first thread I've opened I'm sure people will forgive me....

I agree to this and I commend the Government on its contribution to date to the catastrophe in Haiti. I will not have time to speak on the debate, so I would like to a make a point now. We have a Naval Service vessel that is a fully equipped hospital ship. There are medics and doctors queuing up to give of their time free of charge to assist in this catastrophe. I request the Tánaiste to see to it that this ship is made ready and sails for Haiti. It is a fully equipped hospital ship and could do enormous beneficial work offshore, just as other countries are doing during this tragedy. As it will be located offshore, it will be immune from earthquakes, and doctors and nurses in this country are more than willing to stay on that ship and carry out essential operations for those who have been devastated by the earthquake. It would represent an invaluable contribution from the Government and I will support it wholeheartedly if it commits to it.
    Parliamentary Debate...

Now, while there are posters on this site who criticize every action he undertakes, I personally quite like Enda Kenny, and he actually seems to have decent time for the Defence Forces. However, the above statement is worrying, as the Naval Service has no vessel that fits the above description in even the vaguest sense, nor ever has it (I think).

Was this a case of an advisor having a bit of craic at Enda's expense?
    Last edited by The Fusilier; 22nd January 2010 at 07:57 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which is more worrying - the opposition suggesting we send our hospital ship... which I am informed doesn't exist... or the Government which controls the defence forces saying it was a good idea?

Presumably one of our ships is capable of functioning as a hospital ship, rather than currently being one.
    Last edited by johnfás; 22nd January 2010 at 07:47 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fusilier View Post
    Couldn't really think of a good thread title, this being the first thread I've opened I'm sure people will forgive me....

Now, while there are posters on this site who criticize every action he undertakes, I personally quite like Enda Kenny, and he actually seems to have decent time for the Defence Forces. However, the above statement is worrying, as the Naval Service has no vessel that fits the above description in even the vaguest sense, nor ever has it (I think).

Was this a case of an advisor having a bit of craic at Enda's expense?
    Enda - our very own Sarah Palin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    Presumably one of our ships is capable of functioning as a hospital ship, rather than currently being one.
    I'm no expert on the subject, but I really doubt it. In a very, very limited capacity, maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its going to be a laugh a minute when he becomes taoiseach
    i am looking forward to it

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

JohnFas, there is no such ship in the fleet. And there is nothing which could function as one. Nor will there be, the building programme would appear to have been shelved or stalled.
    I think it must have been said "tongue in cheek" by Enda, drawing attention to the state of the Navy. Funny.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like Enda Kenny too, but even I know we don't have a hospital ship.

Defence Forces - Naval Service - Flotilla

None of these ships look even capable of making it Haiti, never mind acting as hospital ships.

Just another point:

Being at sea doesn't make you immune from earthquakes if the earthquakes occur at sea.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe this is what he is referring to:

Defence Forces - Naval Service - LE Eithne

"LÉ Eithne is closely associated with Our Ladys Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin and conducts fundraising efforts on the hospitals behalf around the coast. She also frequently brings the children down to visit the ship for a morale boosting day out, during their recuperation from illness."
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Irish Navy has no Hospital ship per se.

Naval vessels might have a ships doctor and an onboard infirmary capable of dealing with minor injuries but not serious ones. A fully equipped naval hospital ship would be required for that.
    Only superpower navies could afford such vessels.

If Kenny said this he is utterly utterly misinformed.
    Not only that he should have the common sense to know that the Irish navy is small and the idea of any Irish politician believing that the Irish navy possessed a "hospital ship" is ludicrous in the extreme.

If Kenny did say this then he has made a complete buffoon of himself and is showing a poor grasp of reality.

This is actually worse than his gaffe on abolishing the Seanad.

I am so appalled at this that I ask the OP to give the reference and verification of the claim that Kenny has made such a crucial faux pas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Enda Kenny, unfortunately, is an idiot

He has a limited grasp of reality and is not fit to hold cabinet office let alone his ludicrous aspiration to become Taoiseach

Defence Forces - Naval Service - LE Eithne
    LÉ Eithne is closely associated with Our Ladys Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin and conducts fundraising efforts on the hospitals behalf around the coast. She also frequently brings the children down to visit the ship for a morale boosting day out, during their recuperation from illness.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate...ML&Node=24#N24
    I agree to this and I commend the Government on its contribution to date to the catastrophe in Haiti. I will not have time to speak on the debate, so I would like to a make a point now. We have a Naval Service vessel that is a fully equipped hospital ship. There are medics and doctors queuing up to give of their time free of charge to assist in this catastrophe. I request the Tánaiste to see to it that this ship is made ready and sails for Haiti. It is a fully equipped hospital ship and could do enormous beneficial work offshore, just as other countries are doing during this tragedy. As it will be located offshore, it will be immune from earthquakes, and doctors and nurses in this country are more than willing to stay on that ship and carry out essential operations for those who have been devastated by the earthquake. It would represent an invaluable contribution from the Government and I will support it wholeheartedly if it commits to it.

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast