Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Four Tonight: Newswipe with Charlie Brooker

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default BBC Four Tonight: Newswipe with Charlie Brooker

Charlie Brooker returns for a new series of Newswipe tonight of BBC Four at 10.30pm

As he tweeted earlier...

RT @charltonbrooker Newswipe! Tonight! BBC4! 10.30pm! With snow! The pantsbomber! Nuclear war! Everything! Don't miss it!
    This is Newswipe's piece on Susan Boyle & XFactor last year

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYbL8BwTqnk"]YouTube- Newswipe with Charlie Brooker S01E06 29 April - Susan Boyle[/ame]

The intro to Season 1 last year is well worth a look as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm4GiyyVKQQ"]YouTube- Charlie Brooker's Newswipe S1E1P1[/ame]

I can't recommend it enough.

Newswipe with Charlie Brooker, BBC Four tonight at 10.30

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also checkout his earlier ' Screenwipe ' . Available on youtube . Great stuff .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Genius. Makes up for The Daily Show being less unmissable than before
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great show. Should be on BBC2.
    "The war against drugs is unique in all conflict: we can win it, simply by ceasing to fight it."

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I much prefer Brooker in print than on TV. In fact, I rather dislike him on TV. It is somewhat ironic that he made a career kebabing bad TV in his columns but is now involved in a lot of very low grade, pile-em-high-sell-em-cheap formats. He is a far from a TV natural and if he were writing about himself as someone else he'd have a field day lambasting his one-tone, grown-up-student routine.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Haldeman View Post
    I much prefer Brooker in print than on TV. In fact, I rather dislike him on TV. It is somewhat ironic that he made a career kebabing bad TV in his columns but is now involved in a lot of very low grade, pile-em-high-sell-em-cheap formats. He is a far from a TV natural and if he were writing about himself as someone else he'd have a field day lambasting his one-tone, grown-up-student routine.
    He does occasionally come across as smug and self-regarding on TV, I'd agree about preferring his print column in the Guardian. In fairness, though, he is still far funnier and to the point than all bar a handful of people on telly in Britain (and, it goes without saying, no-one on Irish telly even comes close). Plus when talking about stuff that he likes rather than dislikes, for example when he paid tribute to Oliver Postgate, he doesn't come across as smug at all, rather can even be quite moving.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've not read him so I cant comment on that, I think you are being harsh on him tho . I think he comes across as confident, smart and very funny . True , he looks very 'ordinary' but imo that is refreshing . He is not one tenth as smug or smarmy or 'knowing' as that 'Daily show' guy .

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He made an excellent show on videogames last year "Gameswipe". Guests include Graham Linehan and Dara O'Briain. Will check out Newswipe tomorrow, cheers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjFiTd2nmI4"]YouTube- Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe - part 1/6 (BBCFOUR)[/ame]

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stewiegriffin View Post
    I've not read him so I cant comment on that, I think you are being harsh on him tho . I think he comes across as confident, smart and very funny . True , he looks very 'ordinary' but imo that is refreshing . He is not one tenth as smug or smarmy or 'knowing' as that 'Daily show' guy .

His articles are far funnier and more vicious than his TV persona which by comparison appears just sneery and teenagerish (for my tastes anyway). He's a really original voice in print, but just another sneering hack on TV. Check out the Saturday Guardian Guide booklet where his pieces appear.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

. He's a really original voice in print, but just another sneering hack on TV...
    Charlie Brooker is just another sneering hack? Really?

Take the first two series of Screenwipe, it was some of the most original and intelligent pieces of television in years, while at the same time managing to be incredibly funny. Sure, the standard has dropped off a bit as the show has run on, and I myself think that Newswipe can be a bit nihilistic at times, but that is more a consequence of how piss poor the media is rather than Brooker's delivery style.

In the last series of Newswipe he had an interview with Peter Oborne where he made a very serious point on immigration reform under New Labour and their collusion with the right wing press. Now I'd expect to see stuff like that on Dispatches, but Brooker is so confident that he won't lose his audience he's willing to give over time to a serious journalist to make a point like that on a programme that is aimed at people aged under fifty. Even the piece tonight by the Canadian journalist on how the media manipulates fear was incredibly insightful.

Classic Brooker:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59OJ17raqWw"]YouTube- Aspirational tv - Charlie Brooker[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIyg2a72uV4"]YouTube- Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe - a career in telly[/ame]
    "The war against drugs is unique in all conflict: we can win it, simply by ceasing to fight it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast