Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Bank Inquiry would inevitably find Cowen culpable!

Politics.ie Member Supermanpolitician's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Any Bank Inquiry would inevitably find Cowen culpable!

I was just reading some of the edbate (classy as it always is on P.ie) when something struck me. It would be virtually impossible for there to be a bank inquiry and for Cowen not to be to blame.

While others would also be cited, the very best thing which could be said about Brian Cowen when he was minister for finance is that he was grossly incompetent. Nobody anywhere could argue that Cowen was a good minister for finance at any level and this includes his handling of the banks. Now while the banks were to blame, while regulation was poor, developer greed rampant and many buyers were ignorant of basic economics, none of those people are the democratically elected leader of the country.

If there is a public inquiry, Cowen's job will be untenable.

Head due East from Labrador, stop when you see cliffs.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The strong legal advice which the Govt has obtained (or is quoting, anyway) seems to bear that out. Protection is the order of the day.
    'BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE THAT MATTER DON'T MIND; AND THOSE THAT MIND DON'T MATTER...'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its all up to the Greens, they will roll over to protect FF once more.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supermanpolitician View Post
    I was just reading some of the edbate (classy as it always is on P.ie) when something struck me. It would be virtually impossible for there to be a bank inquiry and for Cowen not to be to blame.

While others would also be cited, the very best thing which could be said about Brian Cowen when he was minister for finance is that he was grossly incompetent. Nobody anywhere could argue that Cowen was a good minister for finance at any level and this includes his handling of the banks. Now while the banks were to blame, while regulation was poor, developer greed rampant and many buyers were ignorant of basic economics, none of those people are the democratically elected leader of the country.

Cowen's job is untenable even before any banking enquiry. Let's just take two recent reports: Colm McCarthy's Bord Snip and the Commission on Taxation.

It's the job of a MoF to be prudent. The profligate waste (much engineered during Cowen's tenure) proves that he's not.

It's the job of the MoF to ensure taxation is adequate to meet the requirements of expenditure and balance the books. The Commission proves that he didn't.

QED.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supermanpolitician View Post

I don't know why they bother with trials, tribunals and inquiries, why don't they just hang the f.ckers?

It's the FG way, it's the only way!!

A bit of flogging wouldn't go amiss either.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mick Wallace just interviewed on Newstalk.

He says the government decisions need to be the focus of any inquiry, especially the Bank Guarantee.

Says including Anglo in the guarantee was nuts and if the government knew or did not know how bad Anglo was, it should never have been included.

Also says the big developers will be back doing business in 5 years, with the taxpayer paying for their losses.
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Ah the good old lets have a fair trial and announce the verdict before it happens style of FG.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cowen is a useless fat turd hiding out in the midlands. He is a coward. He is weak.

I'd much prefer Lenihan but with his illness who knows.

As much as Enda is rubbish, at least he'd let Richard Bruton deal with the economy.

Politics.ie Member Supermanpolitician's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    Ah the good old lets have a fair trial and announce the verdict before it happens style of FG.
    The verdict is axiomatic. You can go throuygh the motions, but if someone did something, then an enquiry will not change that.

The only point at stake here is do they find Cowen culpable in private and hush it up, or do they find him culpable in public.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    Mick Wallace just interviewed on Newstalk.

He says the government decisions need to be the focus of any inquiry, especially the Bank Guarantee.

Says including Anglo in the guarantee was nuts and if the government knew or did not know how bad Anglo was, it should never have been included.

Also says the big developers will be back doing business in 5 years, with the taxpayer paying for their losses.
    Thanks Mick.

If I need a patio laid, I'll give you a shout.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast