Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland. 3rd fastest broadband in Europe?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ireland. 3rd fastest broadband in Europe?

Can't really figure out which category to put this in, but the report is current, so I guess current affairs isn't far off...

I was reading an article on a Swedish website about how Sweden has the second fastest broadband in Europe. That didn't surprise me, but I was curious as to where Ireland featured so I clicked on the link... Akamai: World's Net connection speeds rising | Wireless - CNET News ... and was shocked to see we're sixth in the world, and third in europe.
    So I guess, although we don't have availability everywhere in Ireland, where people have it, it is pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suspect this is a case of "Lies, damned lies & statistics".

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Despite having no actual facts or knowledge to back up this claim, I am still 100% certain we don't have the 3rd fastest bb in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Haldeman View Post
    Despite having no actual facts or knowledge to back up this claim, I am still 100% certain we don't have the 3rd fastest bb in Europe.
    This ^
    Repeal the 27th.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3rd highest theorethical available speed maybe, what with 30Mbits UPC cable being available. speedtest.net's listing of fastest countries doesn't include Ireland but includes many other European nations. In terms of average available speed we lag well behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
    3rd highest theorethical available speed maybe, what with 30Mbits UPC cable being available. speedtest.net's listing of fastest countries doesn't include Ireland but includes many other European nations. In terms of average available speed we lag well behind.
    Here's a shot of it:

Speedtest.net World Results

These results are based on actual tests which Speedtest.net do millions of everyday. This is an accurete reflection of speeds available and it has us at 48th D/L and 52nd U/L a long way from the theoretical speed quoted in the OP.
    Last edited by truthisfree; 17th January 2010 at 07:05 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just wondering, why do download and upload speeds differ? What I mean is, why is Korea top for download but 13th for upload? Is one more difficult to attain? Or, is one less important?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceMax View Post
    Just wondering, why do download and upload speeds differ? What I mean is, why is Korea top for download but 13th for upload? Is one more difficult to attain? Or, is one less important?
    The download speed is more important, we use most of our bandwith receiving not sending. What is not included here is latency, this is very important for Gamers in particular. I have heard a lot of them really giving out about latency here. Latency is the send + return time, also called ping.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe it's time the good ould taxpayer bought eircom back. After all, the venture capitalists who "invested" in it have milked the old cow dry by now.

To misquote Carlsberg: probably the worst government decision ever made!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is from Finfacts may 2009, it details the amount of subscribers.

Ireland falls in broadband rankings
    Ireland fell one rank in the league table of broadband penetration for the 30 mainly developed members of the OECD, according to its latest report on web connections. Ireland ranked 21st at the end of 2008 with 20.57 subscribers per 100 inhabitants.
    Ireland has a target to be recognised as a "world class knowledge economy" in just four years time -- it will not be met.
    Source

The take-up for broadband is clearly here, but no-one to provide it. There should be fiber optic everywhere, I am sure I remember that we had fiber optics here before the UK, and our government boasted about it as one of the most modern systems in Europe at the time, and that was a long time before the emergence of the Celtic Tiger.
    Last edited by truthisfree; 17th January 2010 at 08:46 AM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast