Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 100 Examples of EU Fraud and Waste- Which is your favorite?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 100 Examples of EU Fraud and Waste- Which is your favorite?

Open Europe published an amusing list of examples of wasteful spending of EU money and/or outright fraud. My favorite 2 are the ones about tax evasion at the Commission's Swedish office and the 44million pocketed by Commission officials for cleaning contracts where the actiual cleaning budget was 850k.

Which one is your favorite?

http://www.openeurope.org.uk/research/top100waste.pdf
    If once the people become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress and Assemblies, Judges and Governors, shall all become wolves. It seems to be the law of our general nature, in spite of individual exceptions.

Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seenitallb4 View Post
    Open Europe published an amusing list of examples of wasteful spending of EU money and/or outright fraud. My favorite 2 are the ones about tax evasion at the Commission's Swedish office and the 44million pocketed by Commission officials for cleaning contracts where the actiual cleaning budget was 850k.

Which one is your favorite?

http://www.openeurope.org.uk/research/top100waste.pdf
    Have you heard what that waster McCreevy will pocket when he leaves? It would bring a tear to the eye of one of those mobile phone 'subscription service' operators!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Italians seem to be very skilled at directing money from Brussels into Italy. Personally my favourite two are the funding of a public toilet in Hull to promote "regional competitiveness", where John Prescott may find a use for it, and the Irish-Welsh project, costing £575,000, to "tag" jellyfish. Bizarre!
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    The Italians seem to be very skilled at directing money from Brussels into Italy. Personally my favourite two are the funding of a public toilet in Hull to promote "regional competitiveness", where John Prescott may find a use for it, and the Irish-Welsh project, costing £575,000, to "tag" jellyfish. Bizarre!
    Impressive Pauli, got some more?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by politicsiscomedy View Post
    Impressive Pauli, got some more?
    Click the link in the OP, PIC.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    and the Irish-Welsh project, costing £575,000, to "tag" jellyfish. Bizarre!

Why is it bizarre? You're obviously quite knowledgable about jellyfish research, so perhaps you could explain it to someone like me, who only knows the basics (jellyfish populations are exploding, are projected by some to become the dominant predator in the oceans, which is causing millions of dollars to be lost by the fishing industry).

It's not like you just made a judgement on that project while knowing pretty much nothing about it now, is it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sickening but hardly suprising!
    There is something pigheaded about Wexford this season, something pigheaded and perverse and oddly beautiful. In certain lights they are starting to look heroic.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Er, how many of these are actually examples of fraud or waste by the EU? It looks a lot more like a list of frauds committed against national governments disbursing EU money.

Not that that distinction would bother Open Europe.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would be very concerned about some of the pure fraud that is listed there, most of which seems to have occurred in Italy with isolated incidents here and there elsewhere.

Italy's own national funds are embezzled in a similar manner without any control too, so it's really no surprise that EU funds, which would be ultimately administered by the same agencies as state funds, are going the same way.

I notice that Ireland doesn't really feature on that list, other than a few mentions of things in Northern Ireland.

I suppose our crooks were too busy legally mortgage holders via insane house prices to be bothered with such small change as EU funds!

The UK and Beligum don't seem to rate particularly well either on this. I wonder if it's because of easy access to UK stories, as the report was clearly written from a UK perspective, or if there is genuinely a problem with an attitude towards EU funds?

The other seriously worrying one was the fact that €5bn of state aid went to the former soviet block with seemingly no oversight as to where it was spent.

I realise this is difficult, as the money had gone outside the EU, but there doesn't seem to have been very much control over what it was spent on.

I'd expect a lot more!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fraud is inherent part of the bribery use to enable the empowering of the Brussels bureaucrats at the expense of the nations and people of Europe. The idea that you can somehow eliminate fraud is delusional and one that is deliberately promoted by the controlled opposition. It is the symptom of the NWO power grab, the EU's true raison d'être.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast