Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Probably the most important graph in the world

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Probably the most important graph in the world

As important elections draw near in many places throughout the developed world, opposition parties are making political capital from the embarassment caused to governments, by the over zealousness of the extreme AGW fraternity, so called AGW deniers are in a confident mood, hopeful now that the CO2 debate may be over or at least moderated, for human civilisation that may not be such good news, because our problems are still there waiting to be solved, lets pretend for a moment that the CO2 debate had never even begun, the other problems are still there slapping us in the face every morning, population growth and the effect that this will have on our energy supplies, this is the elephant in the room, sometimes whispered about in the CO2 debate, ( the one we are pretending didn't start ), we already know that the quality of life we enjoy in the first world has been built on the cheap energy we derive from burning oil and natural gas.
    This may be the most important graph in the world, and the measures we take now will greatly influence whether the standard of living trend continues to climb, levels off or plummets.

Here is a link to a positive perspective on the problem, one which I agree with
    Cutting the link between quality of life and energy consumption as well as energy consumption and CO2 emissions, is the key, and this can only be done through increased efficiency. With a combination of increased fossil fuel efficiency and more extensive use of wind/solar/nuclear power, I think we can crack this.

The Two Most Important Graphs in the Energy Biz | the Watt
    Last edited by fiannafailure; 17th March 2010 at 03:30 AM.
    Regards, Pat Gill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fiannafailure View Post
    As important elections draw near in many places throughout the developed world, opposition parties are making political capital from the embarassment caused to governments, by the over zealousness of the extreme AGW fraternity, so called AGW deniers are in a confident mood, hopeful now that the CO2 debate may be over or at least moderated, for human civilisation that may not be such good news, because our problems are still there waiting to be solved, lets pretend for a moment that the CO2 debate had never even begun, the other problems are still there slapping us in the face every morning, population growth and the effect that this will have on our energy supplies, this is the elephant in the room, sometimes whispered about in the CO2 debate, ( the one we are pretending didn't start ), we already know that the quality of life we enjoy in the first world has been built on the cheap energy we derive from burning oil and natural gas.
    This may be the most important graph in the world, and the measures we take now will greatly influence whether the standard of living trend continues to climb, levels off or plummets.

http://http://farm5.static.flickr.co...b459c564_o.jpg
    Faulty link. Here's the correct one:
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/...b459c564_o.jpg
    15 Jan 2001 -- Fine Gael pledged to end fluoridation because of "serious health concerns".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks soubresauts
    Regards, Pat Gill

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Definitely, peak oil is of great importance. I don't think that there should be jostling over what gets to be the big issue: climate change or peak oil. It is plausible and I think very likely that we are facing multiple crises at the same time.

How do you quantify standard of living demand?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Húrin View Post
    Definitely, peak oil is of great importance. I don't think that there should be jostling over what gets to be the big issue: climate change or peak oil. It is plausible and I think very likely that we are facing multiple crises at the same time.

How do you quantify standard of living demand?
    The populations of the developing world all aspire to a similar standard of living enjoyed by the developed world, medical care, nutritious food, comfortable housing, ipods, Tv's, refridgerators and time for leisure pursuits rather than the pursuit of survival.

You may have noticed that the green plot is now the steepest and brings forward peak oil.
    Regards, Pat Gill

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The abiotic theory holds that there must be nearly limitless pools of liquid primordial hydrocarbons at great depths on Earth, pools that slowly replenish the reservoirs that conventional oil drillers tap.

Meanwhile, however, the oil companies have used the biotic theory as the practical basis for their successful exploration efforts over the past few decades. If there are in fact vast untapped deep pools of hydrocarbons refilling the reservoirs that oil producers drill into, it appears to make little difference to actual production, as tens of thousands of oil and gas fields around the world are observed to deplete, and refilling (which is indeed very rarely observed) is not occurring at a commercially significant scale.
    Regards, Pat Gill

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fiannafailure View Post
    The abiotic theory holds that there must be nearly limitless pools of liquid primordial hydrocarbons at great depths on Earth, pools that slowly replenish the reservoirs that conventional oil drillers tap.

Meanwhile, however, the oil companies have used the biotic theory as the practical basis for their successful exploration efforts over the past few decades. If there are in fact vast untapped deep pools of hydrocarbons refilling the reservoirs that oil producers drill into, it appears to make little difference to actual production, as tens of thousands of oil and gas fields around the world are observed to deplete, and refilling (which is indeed very rarely observed) is not occurring at a commercially significant scale.
    Yup - the abiotic oil theory is still missing just that tiny little thing called evidence.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MiHiKuFuYu View Post
    Damn, looks like I was fooled by a google search again, thanks for clearing that up. The Russians can be crafty spoofers.
    It's a superficially attractive theory, but it dates from Cold War Russia, where there was something of a tendency to promote alternative theories (such as Lysenkoism) purely on the basis that capitalist science couldn't be right.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is an american who has cracked the the peak oil conundrum, not that I agree with all that is said but an alternative point of view to the mainstream, enjoy
    ...it's Young Dan, isn't it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is an american who has cracked the the peak oil conundrum, not that I agree with all that is said but an alternative point of view to the mainstream, enjoy
    YouTube- Peak Oil hoax debunked in 4 minutes
    Well heck, that durn pencil work sure convinced me.

Some people should not be allowed access to video tech.
    Damn, I could feel the planetary IQ dropping as I listened to that.
    The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. EU Army coming to be, the feckin' conspiracy nuts on Lisbon were right on this one.

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast