Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arthur Spring to be selected without a convention for North Kerry/West Limerick?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Arthur Spring to be selected without a convention for North Kerry/West Limerick?

A rumour has reached the ears of my good self that the Labour Party HQ intend to select Arthur Spring Jnr as the Labour candidate for the next GE without going through a selection convention. Is this allowed for in Labour Party rules? I realise that election committees in most party's have the power to 'add on' a candidate to those selected at convention. I know of course that FF did this for the locals with broadly disastrous results. But for a GE in a constituency where Labour have a number local Cllrs and a branch network I would have thought a formal selection convention, even if it is unlikely to be a contest, would at least act as a promotional opportunity for the party and canddiate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there any competition for him to get the nomination?
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does this mean Terry O'Brien is being shafted

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    Does this mean Terry O'Brien is being shafted
    Not really. To my knowledge he had expressed a desire not to contest a GE again after his 2007 experience plus he has had serious health issues to deal with of late and is really in no position to contest an election.

Politics.ie Member Reality bites's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The rumour is probably due to confusion about the new candidate selection process Labour have put in place. There will still be a selection convention for every constituency.

The new rules are as follows: the Organisation sub committee establishes a panel of people to form the candidate selection board (CSB). There are about 15 people on it including former politicans and active members. For each constituency a group of three is formed (who are not linked to the constituency ie members there) who then go about looking at potential candidates and anyone who is a member in the area can put themselves forward, plus all members in constituency are canvassed for their opinions etc.

The CSB then makes a recommendation of potential and number of candidates who then go forward to a selection convention. The convention can accept or reject the process only outright if i recall correctly.
    In this case, Kerry North, maybe Arthur is the only candidate going forward. the other cllrs in the area may not have put themselves forward at all.

The process has already been applied in Dublin North Central where one candidate was to be selected and two options were put forward by the CSB- both were cllrs and a vote took place at the selection convention resulting in Aodhain O Riordain being selected.
    'I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts' -Mark Twain

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reality bites View Post
    The new rules are as follows: the Organisation sub committee establishes a panel of people to form the candidate selection board (CSB). There are about 15 people on it including former politicans and active members. For each constituency a group of three is formed (who are not linked to the constituency ie members there) who then go about looking at potential candidates and anyone who is a member in the area can put themselves forward, plus all members in constituency are canvassed for their opinions etc.

The CSB then makes a recommendation of potential and number of candidates who then go forward to a selection convention. The convention can accept or reject the process only outright if i recall correctly.
    You left out the bit about the gang-of-three interviewing potential candidates before they make their recommendation to the OSC.It is very strange that they are planning to use interviews as part of the selection process, but they won't have any specification to interview against, i.e. a job spec and a person spec. Also, I understand that the people involved are not being trained in how to interview, so watch out for piles of complaints (possibly involving the Equality Tribunal) when candidates get asked questions like;
    - why would you be interested in this position at your age
    - who is going to mind your kids while you are canvassing

etc etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RainyDay View Post
    You left out the bit about the gang-of-three interviewing potential candidates before they make their recommendation to the OSC.It is very strange that they are planning to use interviews as part of the selection process, but they won't have any specification to interview against, i.e. a job spec and a person spec. Also, I understand that the people involved are not being trained in how to interview, so watch out for piles of complaints (possibly involving the Equality Tribunal) when candidates get asked questions like;
    - why would you be interested in this position at your age
    - who is going to mind your kids while you are canvassing

etc etc.
    It is also my understanding (open to correction) that notes taken at interviews are subject to FOI as they pertain to you. A failure to take any notes would lead to a suspicion that the interviews had something to hide.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know (and don't especially care) but is Spring Jnr's daddy Dick?

If so, all hail the Gombeenarchy.
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKane View Post
    It is also my understanding (open to correction) that notes taken at interviews are subject to FOI as they pertain to you. A failure to take any notes would lead to a suspicion that the interviews had something to hide.

Happy to provide a correction. FOI only applies to Gov Depts and state agencies.

Not saying that any such notes would not or could not be provided to an unsuccessful prospective candidate, but not under FOI.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

... but they won't have any specification to interview against, i.e. a job spec
    No Mystery there. Job is to be the Labour candidate at the next general election

and a person spec.
    Again no mystery. The kind of person they will be looking for is the kind of person who can win a seat for Labour.

Also, I understand that the people involved are not being trained in how to interview so watch out for piles of complaints (possibly involving the Equality Tribunal)
    Oh please. I've sat on umpteen interview panels without any "training" whatsoever. Have never had a complaint of any sort levelled against me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast