Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92

Thread: Lyric fm wtf is going on??

  1. #1

    Default Lyric fm wtf is going on??

    LyricFM lately is not a relaxing place to be.George Hamilton barking at me is bad enough.Then Marty Whelan playing the sort of stale fart golf club muzak that Punk is really the only antidote for.And the Blessed Gaybo and his sermonising about jazz as was.Besides these old geezers get in the way of the music,not as much as Ryan ,but still.

    Don't they have some sort of remit to play classical,choral and a bit of international folk? Not 'hey look what was cool when I was a lad'. Its like a horrible Tardis ride to 1958 without rock n roll.There - end of moan.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    George Hamilton's show is generally excellent and he is actually a classically trained cellist who took up journalism later. He tends to mix his knowledge of music with his knowledge of place, gained from his extensive travel, which puts composers and their music into context, which is very important in terms of understanding the overall scheme of a piece. In terms of bringing understanding to the 'lay' listener, who most listening would be, it is a very good programme generally.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    40,764
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Perhaps they are turning Lyric FM into a retirement home for those who are too old or talentless for RTE1. The weekend always seems to be a strange time with Lyric though I haven't listened to it for a few weeks. What is irritating is assh0le DJs who think they are more important than the music. Looks like Lyric may have been infected with them too.

    Regards...jmcc

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between Akureyri and Ushuaia
    Posts
    8,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    George Hamilton's show is generally excellent and he is actually a classically trained cellist who took up journalism later. He tends to mix his knowledge of music with his knowledge of place, gained from his extensive travel, which puts composers and their music into context, which is very important in terms of understanding the overall scheme of a piece. In terms of bringing understanding to the 'lay' listener, who most listening would be, it is a very good programme generally.
    Is this the same gobsh1te who plays lollipops and tries to put on funny accents? I stopped listening to that kind of crap years ago. And as for "musical knowledge", Wikipedia isn't "research".

    Don't get me started on the "it's American so it must be good" crap that Marty Whelan plays.

    I never thought I'd say it, but bring back Eamon Lawlor's afternoon show, "The Full Score". I used to joke that it was by far and away the best sports programme in radio.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Podolski1.5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    it's a very, very poor response to Classic FM.
    "The rich always betray the poor"- Henry Joy McCracken

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    19,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macdarawhitfield View Post
    LyricFM lately is not a relaxing place to be.George Hamilton barking at me is bad enough.Then Marty Whelan playing the sort of stale fart golf club muzak that Punk is really the only antidote for.

    Give it time and there'll be 60 year old men playing The Lurkers or The Cockney Rejects and banging on about how 'authentic' it was...

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    George Hamilton's show is generally excellent and he is actually a classically trained cellist who took up journalism later. He tends to mix his knowledge of music with his knowledge of place, gained from his extensive travel, which puts composers and their music into context, which is very important in terms of understanding the overall scheme of a piece. In terms of bringing understanding to the 'lay' listener, who most listening would be, it is a very good programme generally.
    Yes and he speaks German too for good measure.But there's no need to shout,even if you are introducing a march by Souza.It's not a last ditch equaliser in the FA Cup semifinal.Lyric used to offer a refuge from the clapped out RTE glee club.Tis back to R na G lads.Or BBC Radio 4.Quite a contrast,but at least it's an escape from the South Dublin feedback loop.And don't get me started on Jorg Friedrich Handel.Did you know the cheerleader of Hanoverian Loyalism gave Messiah its debut in Dublin.Fishamble Street ,you know.This fact is relayed on Lyric about 94 times per day.So if you're ever in a pub quiz like.........

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between Akureyri and Ushuaia
    Posts
    8,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Podolski1.5 View Post
    it's a very, very poor response to Classic FM.
    I disagree! There are some excellent broadcasters on Lyric, Niall Carroll springs instantly to mind (and I've often wondered why he hasn't been headhunted by the larger chequebook wielders across the water). Recently they've ditched nearly 10 years of audience building with a complete change of tack, particularly at the lunchtime slot. OK, the sextet from Lucia and the Bryn CD's may have showing signs of wear but to ditch them for a geriatric DJ whose musical knowledge begins with Ella and finishes with, well, Ella.

  9. #9

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Give it time and there'll be 60 year old men playing The Lurkers or The Cockney Rejects and banging on about how 'authentic' it was...
    I wouldn't object really! One day - when I'm even older - digital radio will enable me to hear decent stuff and inform myself too.Bob Dylan's show is said to be good,havent heard it though.Wayne County and the Electric Chairs,Rochester Castle ,Stoke Newington.Plastic pint glasses and a skirmish at the end.?Ah yes.Can't see our Marty slotting it in though.I wonder if someone could hack into the playlist for Marty or Gaybo.So instead of 'When I fall in love ' by Nat King Cole we hear 'Hurry up Harry!' by Sham 69 or 'Jilted John' by Jilted John.You never know, I mean what's the internet for,eh?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    I disagree! There are some excellent broadcasters on Lyric, Niall Carroll springs instantly to mind (and I've often wondered why he hasn't been headhunted by the larger chequebook wielders across the water). Recently they've ditched nearly 10 years of audience building with a complete change of tack, particularly at the lunchtime slot. OK, the sextet from Lucia and the Bryn CD's may have showing signs of wear but to ditch them for a geriatric DJ whose musical knowledge begins with Ella and finishes with, well, Ella.
    Don't be rotten! He plays Louis and Billie too.Tack is the very word, FakeViking.Like yourself I thought the old lunchtime show was ok.I mean it's lunchtime: you don't expect to hear 'Some notes from a piece by Harrison Birtwhistle,which have been re-arranged into a tune..' to recycle an old Private Eye cartoon.But this is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •