Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: India outrage at Australian racist violence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cartoon in racist attacks furore

Australia has condemned as "deeply offensive" an Indian newspaper cartoon depicting the police as members of the racist Ku Klux Klan.

The BBC

The Delhi Mail Today newspaper published the cartoon in response to the murder of Indian student Nitin Garg in Melbourne last weekend. The cartoon shows a person in a Ku Klux Klan hood wearing a police badge, with a caption that reads: "We are yet to ascertain the nature of the crime".

The Indian media has suggested the attack may have been racially motivated, but Melbourne police say there is no evidence of that.

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Cartoon in racist attacks furore". </Mod>
    Last edited by stringjack; 9th January 2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Merged thread.
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

Head due East from Labrador, stop when you see cliffs.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Surely the Aussies could just find out where the cartoonist lives and send some goddam flake there with an axe and a knife to do him in? Making sure first that said 'assassin' is known to international intelligence (of not intelligent) agencies. They could also burn Indian flags in the streets; break the windows of curry importers and generally ride around in pickup trucks firing off their AK47's.

That's how the other side does it, ain't it?
    'BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE THAT MATTER DON'T MIND; AND THOSE THAT MIND DON'T MATTER...'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Australians? Racist? Whatever next!

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teapot View Post
    Surely the Aussies could just find out where the cartoonist lives and send some goddam flake there with an axe and a knife to do him in? Making sure first that said 'assassin' is known to international intelligence (of not intelligent) agencies. They could also burn Indian flags in the streets; break the windows of curry importers and generally ride around in pickup trucks firing off their AK47's.

That's how the other side does it, ain't it?
    Given that Nitin Garg isn't an islamic name... who do you mean by " the other side " ?

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    Given that Nitin Garg isn't an islamic name... who do you mean by " the other side " ?
    +1
    All those indian muslums and Pakistani Hindus have it coming to them.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    +1
    All those indian muslums and Pakistani Hindus have it coming to them.
    Given that Buddhism originated in India before missionaries took it to Japan, I was thinking that this thread could be merged with the Whaling by Japs thread to facilitate the racists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the 12 months to June 2006, 1082 attacks on Indians in Victoria were reported to police - an assault rate of 1700 in every 100,000. In other words, Indians living in Victoria are 2 times more likely than non-Indians to be beaten up or knifed. Why?

The most contentious theory - the one that has caused such damage to Australian-Indian relations - is that Indian students are targeted by Romper Stomper-style teenage thugs looking to reassert control over suburbs newly populated by Sikhs and Hindus; an atavistic and violent response by racists sick of Indians working in every service station, every pub, every cab they frequent.

Another theory is that Indian students are ''soft targets'', ''walking ATMs'' carrying mobile phones, iPods and jewellery as they travel on public transport between university and late night work shifts.

Others argue the Indian Government and media are whipping up a storm because they are angry that Australia refused to sell uranium to India.

Source

Last Monday night, a few of Nitin Garg's friends burned candles and placed white and pink roses on a bare patch of ground in Cruickshank Park. The friends also placed on the ground two small pieces of paper marked, ''Indian students welcome here''.
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know the ins and outs of this particular case, but I will say that I find a lot of 'Aussies' to be insufferably smug. They believe they have created the perfect society and will brook no criticism thereof. They could never understand that attitudes such as racism or intolerance might be present in their perfect country. Of course not all Australians are like this, but in my experience quite a few of them are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post
    I don't know the ins and outs of this particular case, but I will say that I find a lot of 'Aussies' to be insufferably smug. They believe they have created the perfect society and will brook no criticism thereof. They could never understand that attitudes such as racism or intolerance might be present in their perfect country. Of course not all Australians are like this, but in my experience quite a few of them are.
    You're been too kind I think - racism and intolerance exists there, particularly towards the original inhabitants of the continent. It's shockingly casual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    In the 12 months to June 2006, 1082 attacks on Indians in Victoria were reported to police - an assault rate of 1700 in every 100,000. In other words, Indians living in Victoria are 2 times more likely than non-Indians to be beaten up or knifed. Why?

The most contentious theory - the one that has caused such damage to Australian-Indian relations - is that Indian students are targeted by Romper Stomper-style teenage thugs looking to reassert control over suburbs newly populated by Sikhs and Hindus; an atavistic and violent response by racists sick of Indians working in every service station, every pub, every cab they frequent.

Another theory is that Indian students are ''soft targets'', ''walking ATMs'' carrying mobile phones, iPods and jewellery as they travel on public transport between university and late night work shifts.

Others argue the Indian Government and media are whipping up a storm because they are angry that Australia refused to sell uranium to India.

Source

Last Monday night, a few of Nitin Garg's friends burned candles and placed white and pink roses on a bare patch of ground in Cruickshank Park. The friends also placed on the ground two small pieces of paper marked, ''Indian students welcome here''.
    Oz tried these tactics on Lebanese immigrants. It failed !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast