Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rural Pubs: Will their closure create social suicide?

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Rural Pubs: Will their closure create social suicide?

833 pub licences were not renewed in the 2007 to 2009. 54 of these pubs are located in Mayo, Deputy John O'Mahoney TD, FG announced after finally getting the information from the Dept. Finance.

Given that, apart from churches, public houses are the backbone of social life in rural Ireland, whether a good thing or bad, that is a fact, these closures will impact on the lives of those who rely on pubs for all social contact.

As a smoker (I know, don't start) I stopped going to pubs to meet with mates and instead we meet in our houses, I feel that apart from the financial problems that all businesses are facing, that the ban on smoking in public houses etc., has contributed, strongly to the downfall of many a thriving business.

Was banning smoking a huge mistake? Has the impact of this ban led to this crises? Should it be reversed. Can it be reversed? Should the ban be voluntary?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As a non smoker the blanket smoking ban was just another idiocy in the idiot history of this idiot nation.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I cannot believe it Twin Towers, but we agree on something! There is hope yet. When is the f˙cking revolution going to begin?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it depends on your generation, my parents (in their 60s) will never adopt this thing of going to eachothers houses, the pub is a central part of their social life, and I dont know about ye but the smoking ban didn't effect me at all, granted I was 17 when it was introduced but the pubs I go to have fantastic smoking areas, usually better than inside!
    If we were all born equal we would all be white, middle-class, middle-aged men!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    I cannot believe it Twin Towers, but we agree on something! There is hope yet. When is the f˙cking revolution going to begin?
    Never, the paddys are to servile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers View Post
    As a non smoker the blanket smoking ban was just another idiocy in the idiot history of this idiot nation.
    Why was protecting the health of the nation by banning smoking in public places like pubs a just another idiocy, smoking is proven to be 1) Addictive 2) Deadly to human health,

So why should the government not want to protect it people from their death dealing influence (especially non smokers who have as much right to the pubs as smokers and don't want to be poisoned by their fowl habit and uncaring attitudes!)

Back to the main subject, the downfall of rural pubs can be put down to 3 main factors

1) The price of drink
    2) The drink driving laws
    3) The smoking laws

& out of them i say the main factor is the horribly expensive price of drink, if the pubs didn't gouge their customers (and the suppliers didn't gouge the pubs) more people would be in the pubs but due to the prices its cheaper and easier to get some in!!!
    Last edited by USER1234; 9th January 2010 at 01:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lowering the drink limit with regard to motorists has affected rural pubs more than smoking. I smoke, does not stop me nipping out the back to have a smoke every couple of pints.

Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The drink driving laws are what are killing the pub and the price plus a change in social habits, I actually think the smoking ban is blamed but not really relevant, Coffee shops restaurants etc weren't affected until the downturn and if u reintroduced the smoking ban in the morning for pubs even less people would go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Digout View Post
    Never, the paddys are to servile.
    If it was the brits or the french telling us what to do paddy would be running at the machine gun bullets, but whatever it is about this strange little country will put up with anything from our own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonpartyboy View Post
    If it was the brits or the french telling us what to do paddy would be running at the machine gun bullets, but whatever it is about this strange little country will put up with anything from our own.
    Way off topic!!!!

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast