Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Galway West-Will we have any change?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Galway West-Will we have any change?

With a lot of possible candidates now emerging does anybody think that one will be strong enough to unseat a sitting TD?
    I actually think not but it is becoming interesting.
    FF-Crowe going well with support from O Cuiv but still an election away in my opinion from taking Fahy's seat unless Fahy decides not to stand.
    FG- Conneely- Too antagonistic to get popular support
    Healy Eames- Too negative and more interested in being elected than representing people(then again who isn't?)
    Mannion- Too isolated out in Clifden.
    Walsh-Yes but only if McCormack stands aside.
    Lab- big question will they run 2 propably no.
    Green-O Brollachain making a big comeback but blew his chance last time.
    imo-depressingly things will stay the same but am interested in what others think.

Gimpanzee

McCormack might take this opportunity to retire, especially seeing as he wanted to go the last time and was talked out of it and its a fairly easy election for Walsh or whoever to take over. Maybe FG aim for two, though hard to see it coming off. Especially with the likes of FHE and Coneely whining and bawling week in week out.

Not sure that there is enough support for 2 from the Green/Labour side.

I think it is ripe for an independent of someone can get a bit of a profile. Either Grealish and Fahey could be taken I think.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anywhere else in the country bar Galway East one would imagine that Fahey's seat is gone, but this is Galway, the home of rain and Fianna Fail! So no change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by galwayboy View Post
    With a lot of possible candidates now emerging does anybody think that one will be strong enough to unseat a sitting TD?
    FF-Crowe going well with support from O Cuiv but still an election away in my opinion from taking Fahy's seat unless Fahy decides not to stand.
    Healy Eames- Too negative and more interested in being elected than representing people(then again who isn't?)
    imo-depressingly things will stay the same but am interested in what others think.
    The word is that FG are going to run at least two candidates, if not three. It is possible, if not probable, at the moment, that they would, as of today, gain a seat at Fahey's expense.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sumlulu View Post
    Anywhere else in the country bar Galway East one would imagine that Fahey's seat is gone, but this is Galway, the home of rain and Fianna Fail! So no change.
    Ah Fahy is TD for Galway WEST, not east. Kind of a critical error in your pseudo analysis.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    Ah Fahy is TD for Galway WEST, not east. Kind of a critical error in your pseudo analysis.
    Where in my pseudo analysis did I state that FahEy is a TD for Galway East?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF got over 20000 first pref in last gen. election and Fg got over 8000. It would have to be some turn around to take 2 seats for FG. More likely a seat swap. Fahy the lowest FF TD was 3000 above the top FG McCormack and about 5000 above next. In fact FF almost stole seat 5 with Crowe. It is possible but not very probable that FG will get 2 seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by galwayboy View Post

A depressing salad of uninitiated candidates ; uninspired, parochial. self serving , conservative ..I tire
    But there is one inspirational candidate in the wings - perhaps she has wings as she sings like an angel.
    If you heard her sing you would believe in God
    I speak of Hildegarde Naughton.
    And if I could sing I would .. her praise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Speculation of Fahy stepping down is rife but may be wishful thinking-Grealish still on FF wish list.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FG can't win 2 in Galway West. If McCormack runs he will hold the seat. If he doesn't it will be a battle between Healy Eames and the party's city candidate. If interested, Walsh would give her a run for her money. She would comfortably beat Conneely and would destroy Naughton who we haven't heard from since the locals. No matter who they choose, Healy Eames will be victorious.

FF will hold it's 2. O'Cuiv safe. Battle between Fahy & Crowe.

Labour will hold it's one seat. Michael D. or Nolan whichever runs.

Grealish will hold if he doesn't join FF. All of "his" councillors did well in the locals.

Only possible changes at this point. Healy Eames will take FG seat if McCormack retires. Crowe could beat Fahy for 2nd FF seat. Nolan will replace Michael D. if the latter retires.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast