Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: CCCTB back on the EU agenda this year: SBP

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default CCCTB back on the EU agenda this year: SBP

The introduction of a common tax base for businesses in the European Union is likely to be proposed early this year when the new European Commission takes office.

High-level sources in Brussels say the common tax base is ‘‘virtually certain’’ to be put back on the agenda this year.
    Threat to Irish policy as common tax base back on EU agenda | The Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but were we not told as part of the "legally binding guarantees" that taxation was a purely member state competence and nothing at all to do with the Lisbon Treaty? Now I was not stupid enough to believe that this was nothing other than words to get them over our referendum but a lot of people were certainly taken in by the 'guarantees'.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Shut up, KN... why do you hate freedom, you NAZI!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If this comes to pass, the EU is a JOKE. Liesbon duped us.

The people were made fools of once again. They deserve what they get.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Shut up, KN... why do you hate freedom, you NAZI!
    That's very 'unparliamentary language' you...you.......cornerboy! I am reporting you to Dave.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but were we not told as part of the "legally binding guarantees" that taxation was a purely member state competence and nothing at all to do with the Lisbon Treaty? Now I was not stupid enough to believe that this was nothing other than words to get them over our referendum but a lot of people were certainly taken in by the 'guarantees'.
    It is purely a Member State competence, and you are also intelligent enough to know that. Your trolling on this issue undermines you as an otherwise impressive poster.

Ireland would have to support the move in order for it to be effective - hence, having a guarantee over a national policy. You seem to be purposely blurring the idea of something being put on the agenda and something being actually ratified.

It is rather funny that you ignored to quote one of the final paragraphs of the piece which you linked:

The introduction of a common tax base would require unanimous approval by member states. While Ireland and several other countries remain completely opposed, a smaller group of countries could proceed with such a plan under the enhanced co-operation procedures.
    Hence, it cannot be done without Ireland's approval - the very definition of a guarantee.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

*sigh*

We had a veto before the Lisbon Treaty.

We still have a veto.

They can put it on the agenda all they like, unless our Government agrees to it, it ain't happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always thought that changes in our corporation taxes are going to be the wakeup call for the Irish and hopefully they will realise that they were lied to.....but that requires an interest in whats going on hmmmmm!!
    Can we see if the posters here who pushed for a yes can worm their way with words on this...such as these little gems, a vote yes was not yes to jobs but yes to less unemployment!!! vote yes will give us a strong standing in european affairs and will make it more democratic but when Mc Greevey made his remark about Sarkozy, yessers here were quick to say that of course we could not expect to be equal players with Germany....

Really curious to what responses they will give to this...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YoungLiberal View Post
    *sigh*

We had a veto before the Lisbon Treaty.

We still have a veto.

They can put it on the agenda all they like, unless our Government agrees to it, it ain't happening.
    It all depends on how the relevant article is interpreted. It could mean as pointed out in the referendum debate that the national veto on this can be effectively side stepped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh young liberal
    sigh .... I would hold your tongue and let this one play out...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It all depends on how the relevant article is interpreted. It could mean as pointed out in the referendum debate that the national veto on this can be effectively side stepped.
    The veto can't be sidestepped. You're talking rubbish.

I love the way people say things like "It all depends on how the relevant article is interpreted", as if there's no possible way of knowing. What do you think is going to happen? Ireland (and the United Kingdom and a few others) will veto it, and the EU will just tell them to feck off or something?

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast