Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 75 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Adams is finished, surely?

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Adams is finished, surely?

I thought this merited its own thread. Gerry Adams version of what transpired after the revelation by his niece of her sexual abuse by her father has been shown to be untrue. I knew there was something wrong in the picture being painted by Adams, and now we know what. He apparently continued to campaign with his brother Liam many years later.

Suzanne Breen in today's Tribune:

Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams actively canvassed for the party in the general election of 1997 with his suspected paedophile brother Liam – in a period he claims they were estranged.

Today we publish photographs showing Gerry and Liam Adams canvassing side-by-side for Sinn Féin in Dundalk at a date when Gerry Adams insists his brother had been expelled from the party.

Liam Adams, who is wanted by the PSNI on charges that he repeatedly raped his daughter Aine from the age of four, is seen canvassing in a shopping centre and Dundalk streets and laughing with his brother Gerry, just days before the 6 June 1997 Dáil election.

A Co Louth republican said: "I'm horrified that, 10 years after Gerry Adams was told his brother was a child rapist, he accompanied him through the streets of Dundalk, meeting women and children. We are all shocked Liam Adams was allowed to be in Sinn Féin so long. We are disgusted at Gerry Adams's cover-up."
    Exposed: Gerry Adams' lies over brother's Sinn Féin role

If this story gets legs in the broadcast media this week, he'll be gone within 10 days, surely? Or will it be a protracted slow-burn of unnecessary embarrassment for all concerned?

I'd say he's finished.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can understand that an incident wasn't reported by someone where the victim asked them not to. (That is the difference between what happened in this case and with the Catholic bishops. The latter had incidents reported to them to act on and covered them up. In this instance the suggestion is that Adams was asked by the victim and others not to act on it.) But telling lies about what actions you took against that person short of reporting him when the victim didn't want it reported is a different thing entirely.

This isn't a political issue, but an issue of right and wrong. Adams, to use that cliché, has serious questions to answer.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    I can understand that an incident wasn't reported by someone where the victim asked them not to. (That is the difference between what happened in this case and with the Catholic bishops. The latter had incidents reported to them to act on and covered them up. In this instance the suggestion is that Adams was asked by the victim and others not to act on it.) But telling lies about what actions you took against that person short of reporting him when the victim didn't want it reported is a different thing entirely.

This isn't a political issue, but an issue of right and wrong. Adams, to use that cliché, has serious questions to answer.
    Yes, and not wanting to air private business is quite different from spending years pretending all is fine and dandy and laughing together for photos. I can see two alternative outcomes here - a protracted and embarrassing attempt at salvaging political credibility, particularly if this doesn't get picked up by TV and radio, or else a swift exit within the next ten days. I can't see how he can possibly survive this. How can he credibly attack Fianna Fáil for sleaze or whatever when he seemingly ignored or pretended to ignore what his brother did? Endgame for Gerry Adams, I'm sure of it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    I thought this merited its own thread. Gerry Adams version of what transpired after the revelation by his niece of her sexual abuse by her father has been shown to be untrue. I knew there was something wrong in the picture being painted by Adams, and now we know what. He apparently continued to campaign with his brother Liam many years later.

Suzanne Breen in today's Tribune:

Exposed: Gerry Adams' lies over brother's Sinn Féin role

If this story gets legs in the broadcast media this week, he'll be gone within 10 days, surely? Or will it be a protracted slow-burn of unnecessary embarrassment for all concerned?

I'd say he's finished.
    Logically you are right but to date only a few journalists have been willing to look at the questions which surround Adams in this abuse case and if the full truth is to be got it needs more journalists to take courage and go after the truth instead of doing a Tommy Gorman style soft interview.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

*shrugs*

Adams not entirely on speaking terms with the actual facts shocker.

The man's a bit of a fantasist, always has been. He's been telling porkies for decades and not been challenged on them. Then again, nobody every really bothered to challenge that other fantasist Da Bert on his various tall tales, so really a lot of people aren't in much of a position to challenge Adams.

We're a dishonest little country and the Truth is simply not something we are interested in. These dishonest politicians are merely a reflection of the national fetish for tall tales and myths.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think people will find Armani Adams has big brass neck that would put most of FF to shame and he will try to tough it out, although reading the article i wouldn't be surprised if it was the excuse to launch a heave against him .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

We'll see how it turns out, more investigation is required, and clarity from Mr. Adams. If he's been dishonest in his statements then he needs to go, more for political expediency than any suspicion of material wrongdoing.

I would say though that the newspaper article doesn't name a single source, and at no point contains the vital line "We contacted Mr. Adams prior to publication but received no comment", so I would have reservations about its veracity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a private family issue for Gerry Adams and has no politicial consequences
    You have to consider the views of his brothers (not Liam) and sisters views and also his mother
    Nothing to do with Sinn Fein or anyones abhorence of Irish nationalism

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdaly View Post
    Logically you are right but to date only a few journalists have been willing to look at the questions which surround Adams in this abuse case and if the full truth is to be got it needs more journalists to take courage and go after the truth instead of doing a Tommy Gorman style soft interview.
    I think it's too late for the Gorman approach. The journalists were playing softball because they didn't know what to make of it, calculating there might be sympathy for Gerry Adams being in a difficult and delicate position. Now Breen has exposed the lie, and what a lie it was. I'm not an Adams-basher, I've no particular issue against him, but this is political rat-poison. His moral authority is now no different than that of any bishop or priest who turned a blind eye, or seemed to, in the case of a child's sexual abuse. He will be gone within days, particularly if this picked up by the broadcast media. Otherwise any pretence at moral authority from Sinn Féin will be quickly ridiculed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    *shrugs*

Adams not entirely on speaking terms with the actual facts shocker.

The man's a bit of a fantasist, always has been. He's been telling porkies for decades and not been challenged on them. Then again, nobody every really bothered to challenge that other fantasist Da Bert on his various tall tales, so really a lot of people aren't in much of a position to challenge Adams.

We're a dishonest little country and the Truth is simply not something we are interested in. These dishonest politicians are merely a reflection of the national fetish for tall tales and myths.
    You have a point, of course, but this is of a different order. This is the sexual abuse of a child by a politician's own brother, seemingly glossed over or shrugged off by the politician. He can not survive.

Page 1 of 75 123451151 ... LastLast