Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Misesian theory so unpopular in Economics academia?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why is Misesian theory so unpopular in Economics academia?

Virtually every department of Economics on Earth forcefully rejects the theories of von Mises and Hayek and their brand of libertarianism. The exceptions are a small college set up by a Latin American dictator in central America, and one college in the GOP heartland of the USA.

I ask because ardent supporters of von Mises are so dominant on P.ie, then surely they must have some kind of opinion as to why this dominance is so lacking in the world's universities.

Why is this deep admiration of von Mises not replicated in Economics faculties around the globe, seeing as the economic arguments he made are re-asserted so repetitively online?

Any Misesians care to hazard an explanation for this disparity between publicity and academic acceptance?

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "The Irrationality of Behavioral Economic Experiments". </Mod>
    Last edited by stringjack; 22nd December 2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Merged thread.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by feargach View Post
    Virtually every department of Economics on Earth forcefully rejects the theories of von Mises and Hayek and their brand of libertarianism. The exceptions are a small college set up by a Latin American dictator in central America, and one college in the GOP heartland of the USA.

I ask because ardent supporters of von Mises are so dominant on P.ie, then surely they must have some kind of opinion as to why this dominance is so lacking in the world's universities.

Why is this deep admiration of von Mises not replicated in Economics faculties around the globe, seeing as the economic arguments he made are re-asserted so repetitively online?

Any Misesians care to hazard an explanation for this disparity between publicity and academic acceptance?
    Fashion. Thinkers go in and out of style just like everything else. Turns out academics can be just as superficial as the rest of us.

Good luck finding a philosophy lecturer who's interested in Sartre for example.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I won't directly criticise the theories of Hayek and von Mises on this thread, because that would be off-topic.

I just want to know why their supporters think there is so little support from them among academics in the realm of economics.

Hopefully we can keep this thread on the rails and have a civilised discussion of the matter.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sauntersplash View Post
    Fashion. Thinkers go in and out of style just like everything else. Turns out academics can be just as superficial as the rest of us.

Good luck finding a philosophy lecturer who's interested in Sartre for example.
    No, we can certainly eliminate fashion as a cause. Marxism and Keynesianism have been extremely unfashionable for much of the last 40 years, and they both have a significant presence in Economics academia. Far, far beyond anything Misesianism has been able to muster, despite the wide popularity of Misesianism outside the academic field.

So fashion is definitely, certainly out.

Apart from getting predictions right and accurately describing what really happened during as Murray Rothbard called the second Great Depression of the 1930s, The Austrian School of Economics students tend to freelance as they do not like the system of politics and control of the general population.

They do not like the system of Government bureaucracy and their academies, so I suppose they avoid them out of simply looking like hypocrites. Libertarians subscribe to an intellectual revolution on opening peoples minds and freeing their spirits from the serfdom of the current Neo Feudalist crap.

Murray Rothbard, a renowned proponent of real Capitalist was very clear about his vilification of Neo Liberalism, Thatcherism and Reaganomics in the 70s and 80s.
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ask because
    Actually feargach you ask in response to being totally embarrassed by your last thread and this thread is simply a tantrum hissy-fit in reaction to the response you got for your ridiculous "secret two-decade ballot" idea

http://www.politics.ie/environment/1...et-ballot.html

Absolutely pathetic feargach! Hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Hazlitt
    Hahahahaha !! Absolutely pathetic feargach !! Starting a new thread on Mises in a tantrum hissy-fit due to feeling embarrassed by your stupid secret two-decade long ballot

http://www.politics.ie/economy/12103...-academia.html

Pathetic !!

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, we can certainly eliminate fashion as a cause. Marxism and Keynesianism have been extremely unfashionable for much of the last 40 years, and they both have a significant presence in Economics academia. Far, far beyond anything Misesianism has been able to muster, despite the wide popularity of Misesianism outside the academic field.

So fashion is definitely, certainly out.
    But you must recognise that an academic career is built on novel opinions and original takes on established thinkers. When a substantial intellectual gains the interest of the public beyond the sphere of academia, University lecturers generally turn their attention to more obscure topics. This often happens immediately following the death of an "important" philosopher/economist/sociologist and can last for a generation.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I won't directly criticise the theories of Hayek and von Mises on this thread
    Because you are incapable of it.
    Last edited by Hazlitt; 22nd December 2009 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ask because ardent supporters of von Mises are so dominant on P.ie
    Not untypically from feargach, any people belonging to a group who doesn't go along with his ludicrous behavioural economics school he goes crying to mods in an attempt to get them banned.....

Play another record feargach. Twit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazlitt View Post
    Not untypically from feargach, any people belonging to a group who doesn't go along with his ludicrous behavioural economics school he goes crying to mods in an attempt to get them banned.....

Play another record feargach. Twit.
    You know your stuff Hazlitt. I remember you politely correcting me on my hypothesis on Disaster economics and a potential for economic activity after the floods. You backed it up with excellent links and I learned valuable information, thank you.

I wish more posters around here would adapt the same methods in argueing their points
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast