Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Help in opposing compulsory Irish

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Help in opposing compulsory Irish

Hi, long time poster, though infrequently in recent times.

The Irish language is a frequent and controversial discussion point on politics.ie

As a believer that language and cultural identity should not be forced on people, I'd like to campaign in a more organised way for ending compulsory Irish in Ireland.

By that I mean, do something more constructive than merely squabbling on threads (as fun as it often is!).

The only thing I've done so far is set up this Facebook group, which I'd heavily encourage supporters to join, and to pass onto others.

So I'm looking for two things:
    - People of similar views, willing to join with me!
    - Ideas on what to do (writing to politicians, letters to papers etc., generating a bit of press coverage)

In particular, the recent ban on English placenames in Dublin City has really angered me, and made me realise that if you don't fight for your rights, they often will be taken away. Being allowed use English in Ireland is something I always took for granted, but evidently cannot be.

I would ask all posters on p.ie, whether they like Irish or not, to stand with us for cultural freedom - and in allowing an Ireland of very many different culture and lingustic identifications, without it being crudely forced by the state.

There are no shortage of usually-taxpayer-funded groups on the other side of argument, lobbying intensively for more bans on English and more forced Irish!
    Ich mag Steine!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And the reason why Ireland speaks English for the most part is why exactly? No crude force used there. There's plenty on here who share your pathetic hatred of the language but I won't wish you luck with it, if you don't mind. There'll be a few along presently.
    If you want a laugh.........
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

owenfeehan, prepare to be attacked left right and center by the irish language fanatics!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cultural freedom from who?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USER1234 View Post
    owenfeehan, prepare to be attacked left right and center by the irish language fanatics!!!
    Surely launching a campaign against a language is the real sign of fanaticism??

strange thing to feel so strongly about.

In particular, the recent ban on English placenames in Dublin City has really angered me, and made me realise that if you don't fight for your rights, they often will be taken away.
    do you understand that our native language was taking away from us and we have to fight to reinstate it as this country first language? admittedly the fight has not been going well so far but things like this ban on english place names can only help. if you dont like us natives just stay in germany, simple really. maybe you could start a campaign to scrap the german language while your over there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USER1234 View Post
    So anybody who supports the language and the survival of the same is a fanatic. If one likes sweets does that make one a sweet fanatic.
    If you want a laugh.........
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In particular, the recent ban on English placenames in Dublin City has really angered me, and made me realise that if you don't fight for your rights, they often will be taken away. Being allowed use English in Ireland is something I always took for granted, but evidently cannot be.
    Oooo, next thing you know the English speaking people in Ireland will have to wear signs around their necks, i think you need a reality check.

So Owen is your location still MUNICH from where you feel so agrieved ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have no problem with a decision that place-names should be in Irish. We are after all in Ireland. But I think Irish should not be compulsory after primary school. I think the language would do better without compulsion. It could hardly do worse. As a country and a culture we are responsible for the language but individuals must be free to say no if they don't identify with it.

We don't make traditional music compulsory yet it thrives. We don't make gaelic games compulsory yet they are hugely popular. Things that are made compulsory in Ireland tend to die out. Fish on Friday, Mass etc.

Clearly we are making a huge mistake with the language. By making it a positive choice rather than an obligation we would make it less like Mass and more like music.

Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast