Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Hard Questions Please, I'm Senator Mullen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default No Hard Questions Please, I'm Senator Mullen

After previous refusals, Senator Rónán Mullen, formerly spokesman for Cardinal Desmond Connell, partially answers questions on the Murphy report. He had previously refused to answer any questions from the newspaper over the phone, insisting they be e-mailed to him before he would reply.

The seven questions Mr Mullen did not answer are as follows:

• The Murphy report was published on November 26th last. Almost three weeks have passed and you have made no response to its findings. Why is this?
    • Do you believe your own credibility on other issues may have been affected by this prolonged silence from one known to have a well-publicised interest in issues of importance to Catholics?
    • What are your reflections on the findings of the Murphy report that there was a cover-up at Archbishop’s House?
    • What are your reflections on the findings of the Murphy report where Cardinal Connell is concerned?
    • What are your reflections on the findings of the Murphy report where the bishops named in the report are concerned?
    • Do you believe the serving bishops named in the Murphy report should resign?
    • Where to from here for Catholicism in Ireland?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

These questions don't appear all that difficult to answer - yet the Senator appears to have a mental block on them - strange for a politician not to offer an opinion, even stranger for a politician to have reservations about voicing his own opinions.
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I cant imagine why he wont come on here and answer your questions at 8.30 in the morning ,on a forum full of lunatics!
    Last edited by stewiegriffin; 19th December 2009 at 10:43 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Thanks for starting this thread, Andrew. I was thinking of doing it myself after I read this article in the Irish Times:'I had never even heard of the concept of mental reservation' - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 19, 2009, but have been a bit busy trying to meet a deadline. You have done a far better job of exposing his duplicity than I could have.

What an evasive, slippery slimebag he comes across as! Incidentally, how did he ever get into the Seanad? I know it's just a talking shop mainly populated by failed politicians who have been kicked upstairs, but surely it's not right for it to be used as a sinecure for washed-up employees of the kiddy-fiddler church as well.

I also find it extraordinarily hard to believe he never heard of mental reservation. The guy is a walking, talking incorporation of that stratagem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Andrew, let me give you a sneak-preview...

These findings are deeply disturbing to all Catholics... blah blah... hurt... forgiveness... good work... disturbed also at another agenda being advanced... Catholic schools have implemented world-class child protection policies... parental choice... blah blah... secularist intolerance... waffle... blah blah...

"So, Ronan, what did you about clerlical sex abuse when you worked in Archbishops House?" "Waffle... blah blah... another agenda..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Libero View Post
    Andrew, let me give you a sneak-preview...

These findings are deeply disturbing to all Catholics... blah blah... hurt... forgiveness... good work... disturbed also at another agenda being advanced... Catholic schools have implemented world-class child protection policies... parental choice... blah blah... secularist intolerance... waffle... blah blah...

"So, Ronan, what did you about clerlical sex abuse when you worked in Archbishops House?" "Waffle... blah blah... another agenda..."
    Probably. Sounds authentic.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is that the same guy who wrote an article occassionally in the Irish Times ? Seem to remember he was like something out of the Victorian era.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mullen is a rat piece of sh*t.
    The guy is a total creep.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fascinating indeed. He has had plenty to say in previous years in defence of the church.

Like this from his examiner column from 2004:

Link here.

He was dealing with a piece in Village magazine about the fact that members of a Catholic Church working group on child protection , such as abuse victim Marie Collins had quit the group saying that the church had refused to accept the standards they wanted set for child protection.

Collins and others wanted policy which required cases to be notified to the civil authorities. The bishops insisted that they alone should retain the final say in whether or not a case was referred to the Guards or HSE.

Since 1996, they (bishops) have adhered to a voluntary code of conduct, the so-called Green Book, which requires them to notify the gardaí if they have knowledge or suspicion of abuse. They also established panels of experts to advise them on their obligations where allegations of abuse were made.

The former Archbishop of Dublin, Desmond Connell, made it clear that he adhered to the advice given and honoured his reporting obligations.

THIS is the context in which the dispute over the Lynott Group should be considered. There was no talk of the Church not reporting abuse cases. The issue was, how to report? And if the Church had shown its good intentions by putting together a team of experts to make recommendations, why all the acrimony when there were points of disagreement? Surely people should have kept talking instead of making their reservations public.

It all comes down to trust. Some people seem unwilling to believe that the Church wants bona fide structures to prevent abuse.

“It is extraordinary that we continue to look to the Church to protect our children,” wrote Colm O’Gorman of the victim support agency One In Four.

O’Gorman’s refusal to trust the Church may be understandable, but is increasingly out of touch with the more competent Church handling of child protection matters of recent times.
    I have highlighted the more outrageous parts in bold.

Remember Mullen used to be Cardinal Connell's press advisor and worked for the Archdiocese during a number of years investigated by the Dublin Commission.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    Is that the same guy who wrote an article occassionally in the Irish Times ? Seem to remember he was like something out of the Victorian era.
    He was a columnist in the Irish Examiner, a very regular media commentator, a former employee of Cardinal Desmond Connell and a steadfast defender of the church for may years in the face of accusations f the cover up now proven.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
    He was a columnist in the Irish Examiner, a very regular media commentator, a former employee of Cardinal Desmond Connell and a steadfast defender of the church for may years in the face of accusations f the cover up now proven.
    Sorry, you're right. I remember now it was in the Examiner. He was like Alice Glenn reincarnated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast