Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: Auschwitz 'Arbeit Macht Frei' sign stolen

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    34,310
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Auschwitz 'Arbeit Macht Frei' sign stolen

    Infamous iron sign over gate to Auschwitz memorial site with cynical phrase 'Work Sets You Free' unscrewed, pulled off

    Thieves on Friday stole the notorious metal sign hanging over the entrance of the former Nazi death camp of Auschwitz that reads "Arbeit macht frei" ("Work makes free"), police said.

    Auschwitz 'Arbeit Macht Frei' sign stolen - Israel News, Ynetnews

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The sign had been cast by prisoners.

    Poland declares a state of emergency says the Guardian

    Poland declares state of emergency after 'Arbeit Macht Frei' stolen from Auschwitz | World news | The Guardian
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Laois, Helsinki
    Posts
    3,868
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    There are people who would steal the cross off an ass's back. A few years ago, the television aerial was stolen off my house in Laois.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Imperial Throne
    Posts
    44,291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If Aushwitz was razed to the ground none of these problems would arise.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member katy brock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reknaw View Post
    There are people who would steal the cross off an ass's back. A few years ago, the television aerial was stolen off my house in Laois.
    I wouldn't have thought this was done by petty thieves or scrap iron merchants. Something more sinister here, I'd imagine.
    This thing would impossible to sell (too hard to conceal).

    Maybe the Israelis have nicked it.
    Or Neo-Nazis.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Without doubt, Arbeit Macht Frei is the creepiest joke in history. What kind of sick fks were these people? (Erm, rhetorical question obv!).

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member liamfoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    "A place called Hope"
    Posts
    3,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    There are occasional outbreaks of anti-Semitic acts in Europe, graffiti on gravestones etc, but this is something new.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Laois, Helsinki
    Posts
    3,868
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by katy brock View Post
    Maybe the Israelis have nicked it.
    Or Neo-Nazis.
    There's a difference?

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member jcdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katy brock View Post
    I wouldn't have thought this was done by petty thieves or scrap iron merchants. Something more sinister here, I'd imagine.
    This thing would impossible to sell (too hard to conceal).

    Maybe the Israelis have nicked it.
    Or Neo-Nazis.
    It would not be impossible to sell. And given some of the fruit cakes out there with bucket loads of money selling would not be impossible. Most likely the thieves were hired by some rich person to steal it and organized the whole crime in meticulous detail before hand.
    Hiding it would be difficult for the average Joe pickpocket but not for a group well prepared.
    Economic Left/Right: -0.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.77

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member katy brock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcdf View Post
    It would not be impossible to sell. And given some of the fruit cakes out there with bucket loads of money selling would not be impossible. Most likely the thieves were hired by some rich person to steal it and organized the whole crime in meticulous detail before hand.
    Hiding it would be difficult for the average Joe pickpocket but not for a group well prepared.
    True enough, but what would be the point having it if you couldn't display it?
    I reckon it's buried somewhere and there will be a ransom demand.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •