Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Joseph. God was a hard act to follow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Poor Joseph. God was a hard act to follow

An unholy row has broken out in New Zealand over a church billboard aimed at "challenging stereotypes" about the birth of Jesus Christ.

The mischievous biblical bedroom billboard was defaced just over five hours after it was erected. The controversial billboard, erected by St Matthew-in-the-City Church about 11am, shows Joseph looking down dejectedly and Mary looking sad. Underneath is a caption, "Poor Joseph. God is a hard act to follow." The church has said it erected the billboard to inspire people to talk about the Christmas story. The church's archdeacon said its mischievous biblical bedroom billboard had provoked support and disapproval in about equal measures. Archdeacon Glynn Cardy said the church had received emails and phone calls since it made the public aware of the billboard yesterday.

The billboard has already raised the wrath of the traditional values pressure group Family First. "The church can have its debate on the Virgin birth and its spiritual significance inside the church building, but to confront children and families with the concept as a street billboard is completely irresponsible and unnecessary," Family First national director Bob McCoskrie said. "The church has failed to recognise that public billboards are exposed to all of the public including children and families who may be offended by the material." Catholic Church spokeswoman Lyndsay Freer said the image was inappropriate and disrespectful.

The archdeacon said the plan behind the billboard was to lampoon the literal interpretation of the Christmas conception story.

The BBC
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The controversial billboard, erected by St Matthew-in-the-City Church...
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought Joseph was a gay?

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeupcall View Post
    I thought Joseph was a gay?
    Who, Joseph Christ? No sure wasn't he a builder. You have to read the Gopsel of Judas to get the real story
    ..and ye the Blessed Mother of the Christ did appear unto him and to us his Apostles.
    An varily she did say, "Wouldst thou not get a real job like thine cousin Fred, who worketh in abacus installation and support an ith married with children". And ye varily Jesus did reply, "Wrecketh not my head Ma, nor paineth my hole. See ye how my desciples shrink from thine dowerness and thine shrieking voice. Knoweth you not that thine husband doth hide in the pub after work to avoid thee for thou be-ist a wagon" And Mary, enraged, did shout "What knowest thou of marriage when thou doth pass thine time in the company of 12 men on the beach of the sea of Galilee,"..
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool

I think the picture is very funny and the ad really witty and creative.

Hardly surprising that the kiddy-fiddler church is agin' it; aren't they agin' everything that's fun (except, of course, kiddy-fiddling and using the form of sophist lying called "mental reservation" to cover it up).

Actually, I'm surprised no one laughed the whole Jesus-Mary-Joseph myth off the planet the moment it was told. It's pretty hard to believe. Joseph is married to Mary, but doesn't get the leg over, yet stands by her after she joins the pudding club and tells him an angel has dropped by to inform her the Holy Ghost has put her up the spout. Yeah!!!

Besides, the church persists in sticking to that tale, even though if it were true, it would constitute rape. Wham, bang, thank you Maam, you're preggers! Without as much as a "by your leave". The word "consent" must have been invented only later

If you really believe doo-doo like that, it's only a short step to believing it's all right to do little boys and girls, because they don't really know about the great beautiful and mysterious things that the men in black can teach them.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    Who, Joseph Christ? No sure wasn't he a builder. You have to read the Gopsel of Judas to get the real story
    Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster It would be illegal, so it can't happen.

Politics.ie Member Monday Monday's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post

That's classic TCC.

I'd rep you, but the fun-suckers took away the facility.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reknaw View Post
    I think the picture is very funny and the ad really witty and creative.

Hardly surprising that the kiddy-fiddler church is agin' it; aren't they agin' everything that's fun (except, of course, kiddy-fiddling and using the form of sophist lying called "mental reservation" to cover it up).

Actually, I'm surprised no one laughed the whole Jesus-Mary-Joseph myth off the planet the moment it was told. It's pretty hard to believe. Joseph is married to Mary, but doesn't get the leg over, yet stands by her after she joins the pudding club and tells him an angel has dropped by to inform her the Holy Ghost has put her up the spout. Yeah!!!

Besides, the church persists in sticking to that tale, even though if it were true, it would constitute rape. Wham, bang, thank you Maam, you're preggers! Without as much as a "by your leave". The word "consent" must have been invented only later

If you really believe doo-doo like that, it's only a short step to believing it's all right to do little boys and girls, because they don't really know about the great beautiful and mysterious things that the men in black can teach them.

“Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has.”
    Martin Luther
    Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster It would be illegal, so it can't happen.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where, precisely, is the connection between this bigotry and politics?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It lasted all of 4 hours before it was defaced...

Billboard depicting Mary, Joseph in bed defaced - National - NZ Herald News

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast