Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 123 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Dozens sympathise with Kerry sex offender

Default Dozens sympathise with Kerry sex offender

Irish Times

DOZENS of people queued inside a Co Kerry courthouse yesterday to shake hands and sympathise with a man who was jailed for five years for sexually assaulting a woman in Listowel.

Danny Foley (35), a nightclub bouncer, Meen, Listowel, was sentenced to seven years with the final two suspended by Judge Donagh McDonagh in the Circuit Criminal Court in Tralee. He had been found guilty two weeks ago of sexually assaulting a woman who was discovered by a Garda patrol in a semi-conscious state and naked from the waist down alongside a skip in a car park early on June 15th, 2008.

About 50 people, mostly middle-aged and elderly men, queued yesterday to shake hands with the convicted man and hug him tearfully after he was brought from the cell to the dock, before Judge McDonagh entered the courtroom.

Before passing sentence, the judge criticised a character statement made by Castlegregory parish priest Fr Seán Sheehy. The priest had said Foley was always “respectful of women”, but Foley’s actions “gave the lie” to Fr Sheehy’s statement, the judge said.

What a country!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I can trump that.
    From yesterday's Irish Times comes a story about how a father was jailed for ten years for raping his daughter from the time she was 7 years old.

The man’s employer told Mr Finlay that he could not speak highly enough of his former employee and described him as “a first-class man”. He said that he had often left his own children under the man’s care.

The accused’s partner told the court that the man was “honest, salt of the earth, very reliable and my best friend”.

“I am very lucky to have him in my life. He has shown great strength of character for living with this case for the last three years,” she told Mr Finlay.
    Ten-year sentence for rape of daughter - The Irish Times - Wed, Dec 16, 2009

Simply incredible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Utopian Hermit Monk View Post
    Irish Times

What a country!!!

Odd story. wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye?

Examiner

IT was a scene that could have come from a John B Keane play – a bizarre gesture of support by some plain people of Kerry for a convicted sex offender.

Danny Foley, of Meen, Listowel, sat in the dock at the Circuit Criminal Court, in Tralee, yesterday, awaiting sentence for sexually assaulting a woman, having been found guilty by a jury almost two weeks ago.

A group of 50 people, mainly men and said to be neighbours and friends, trooped into the courtroom and marched up to the accused, in single file. Each man shook his hand – some hugged him warmly, with tears in their eyes. It was witnessed by the 24-year-old victim who cut a lonely figure in the front seat of the public gallery. Dressed in black, she sat with a female garda, a counsellor from the Kerry Rape Crisis Centre and a friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shocking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sickening!!!!!!

What kind of a country are we coming to ? Does that define us as a society in general?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disabled student View Post
    What kind of a country are we coming to ? Does that define us as a society in general?
    Something about this story does not ring true, no idea what, we are bad, very bad, but we do not normally queue up to shake hands with rapists outside a courtroom as bad as we are. There has to be more to this story.
    Last edited by truthisfree; 17th December 2009 at 05:17 AM. Reason: left out "not"

Quote Originally Posted by truthisfree View Post
    Something about this story does ring true, no idea what, we are bad, very bad, but we do not normally queue up to shake hands with rapists outside a courtroom as bad as we are. There has to be more to this story.
    +1

I do not know the full story of this but it says that the bouncer raped her at skip at night.

It turned out that bouncer lied to the Gardai at first when they saw the CCTV tapes afterwards which it contradict the Bouncer's story.In fact,he carried her to the skip.I noticed that from the article that most middle aged and elderly people shook hands with the bouncer.

It was sickening!

Page 1 of 123 123451151101 ... LastLast