Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is our sentencing of criminals too lenient?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is our sentencing of criminals too lenient?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0226/orourked.html

29 years to run concurrently and he gets out after 9? Why do concurrent sentences exist? Are not all victims equally damaged?

A youngfella was shot the other night in the south inner-city. In 2003 he was convicted of a horrific crime whereby he threatened to slice a girls throat. Why was he free in 2007 the first place? He had also been charged prior to that of shooting at Gardai from a stolen car (not sure if he was convicted).

Are we too lenient in sentencing criminals?
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We only have space for 3000 prisoners at any one time. Every new bad guy locked up requires a "reformed" guy like our throat-slicer friend being let out.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Is our sentencing of criminals too lenient?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev408
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0226/orourked.html

29 years to run concurrently and he gets out after 9? Why do concurrent sentences exist? Are not all victims equally damaged?

A youngfella was shot the other night in the south inner-city. In 2003 he was convicted of a horrific crime whereby he threatened to slice a girls throat. Why was he free in 2007 the first place? He had also been charged prior to that of shooting at Gardai from a stolen car (not sure if he was convicted).

Are we too lenient in sentencing criminals?
    Depends. For a start theres the economics of it - we just dont spend enough on the justice system, a large proportion of money goes into tribunals designed to lie to us about the true exent of the corruption.

Then theres the fact that it also depends on the social 'class' of the victim and the perpetrator. If the perpetrator and/or victim is perceived as 'lower class' then the sentencing is lenient because no one of importance was hurt. If the perpetrator and or victim is perceived as 'upper class' then its much more severe.

The fact is, most judges live very far removed from the people they deal with. They look down upon vicitms and accused alike.

Justice rarely shows up in courts, not just in Ireland but around the world.

Anyone who believes otherwise is a moron.

And should chew old style razors.

Good night listeners.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When life imprisonment means 8-12 years, then I think you could safely say we're too soft on murderers

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badinage
    When life imprisonment means 8-12 years, then I think you could safely say we're too soft on murderers
    Then why do we not do something about it? Derry O'Rourke never expressed remorse and was quite happy to smirk at his victims.

Is it an Irish thing that we aren't appalled at flagrant injustice?
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The sentencing system in this country isn't very transparent nor does it appear "precisely/scientifically" administered/determined. However nor is the jury system. But some rough sentencing guidlines, say updated every 5 years, would be useful - I don't believe these exist right now ?

I'd propose that the President of each court be responsible for them & then we'd have something semi objective to benchmark sentences against.

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tbh our sentencing is a joke, life must mean life etc. As mentioned previously he never expressed any remorse, I really don't understand how he is getting released after only 9 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why not let the juries decide how long those found guilty should serve?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Might be a good idea, the judges don't seem to live on the same planet as the people who suffer at the hands of criminals.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course, but lets not forget the bluecollar crime and the crimes commited by our ruling establishment. Leniant? Some poor junkie gets the can but some rich politcian steals from under our very noses?
    "They take away our freedom in the name of liberty"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast