Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dail Debate: "Government TD's should hang their heads in Shame" says Joe Behan

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dail Debate."Government TD's should hang their heads in Shame"-says ex FFer Joe Behan

Independent TD Joe Behan has today stated that Government TDs supporting the Social Welfare Budget cuts should "hang their heads in shame".

The first of two key votes on the Social Welfare Bill is underway - the second takes place this evening.

Joe Behan was elected for Fianna Fáil, but quit the party last year because of the Budget.

Will they, though?

At lunch time, TDs voted 81 to 74 on the second stage of the Bill to impose the 37 cuts announced last Wednesday. Among those missing from the Government benches were the rebel Donegal TD Jim McDaid and the Greens' Paul Gogarty.

Final vote this evening.
    Last edited by yehbut_nobut; 11th December 2009 at 04:03 PM.
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If they do hang their heads it won't be because of shame. It will be due to the heavy consumption of cheaper drink courtesy of the the Minister for Finance who seems to believe stimulation and inebriation are the same thing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yehbut_nobut View Post

Will they, though?

At lunch time, TDs voted 81 to 74 on the second stage of the Bill to impose the 37 cuts announced last Wednesday. Among those missing from the Government benches were the rebel Donegal TD Jim McDaid and the Greens' Paul Gogarty.

Final vote this evening.

Don't know what planet he is on - Ireland is deeply in debt. The cuts were light. It could get a lot worse yet.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LDF View Post
    If they do hang their heads it won't be because of shame. It will be due to the heavy consumption of cheaper drink courtesy of the the Minister for Finance who seems to believe stimulation and inebriation are the same thing.
    Ahh get off the high horse. None's going to tip over the edge into drunkedness and despair because a pint costs 12 cents less.

Plenty of ammo to fire at a corrupt, incompetent and stale FF government. Spouting worthy guff about alcohol and "cheap" drink suits them down to the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel CNC View Post
    Ahh get off the high horse. None's going to tip over the edge into drunkedness and despair because a pint costs 12 cents less.

Plenty of ammo to fire at a corrupt, incompetent and stale FF government. Spouting worthy guff about alcohol and "cheap" drink suits them down to the ground.
    I didn't say anyone would "tip over the edge into drunkedness and despair". I only wrote a couple of sentences and you still managed to get confused. The main point I was making was the FF backbenchers only seem to get worked up when the pub lobby are up in arms (for example, the blood/alcohol limits issue last month).

I would also question the morality (oops, back on the high horse again) of cutting excise duty on alcohol while cutting welfare payments to the blind etc.

Sure, there are many reasons to hate this government. You choose yours and i'll choose mine.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joe Behan would want to make the most of his remaining time in the Dail.

He was elected as a FF TD, not to sound off as a populist windbag.

If he didn't want to be in FF he should have resigned his seat and sought a new mandate as an Independent.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Joe reminds me of Liam Skelly.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Two "government" TD's miss the 1st vote - how might that play out at the 6.30 division?

Will McDaid's threat to vote against the governement ever be made real?
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Irish people should hang there heads in shame for voting these same muppets in for the last 12 years even after knowing what Bertie was up to at the tribunal. Shame Shame Shame

were non government people missing expected to vote against
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast