Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What about increments?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What about increments?

The public sector paycuts seemed tough but fairly straight forward to me until I heard people start talking about their increments. Stuff like "that just wiped out the increment I got last month" or "I will be down X until I get next years increment"

For those on lower salaries at least the increment seems to be of a similar level to the pay cut. Is this generally the case for lower paid public sector workers and if so why has it not been mentioned in the media?

birthday

The media , well RTE (NUJ) anyway, have for years been reluctant to mention anything that might upset their brethern in PS. When they did from time to time mention a salary for a specific they forgot to include all the allowances that are paid to so many in PS.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As I see it, why should a PS worker on point 1 be denied point 2, when a colleague has reached top of the scale and is laughing.

It is probably unlawful to stop increments, but they could be frozen I suppose.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    As I see it, why should a PS worker on point 1 be denied point 2, when a colleague has reached top of the scale and is laughing.

Why would it be unlawful. They are effectively minor promotions right (though for time served and not for actual merit).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by birthday View Post
    The media , well RTE (NUJ) anyway, have for years been reluctant to mention anything that might upset their brethern in PS. When they did from time to time mention a salary for a specific they forgot to include all the allowances that are paid to so many in PS.
    Yes and why should they be allowed custody of their children? After all the faultless sector-who-had-nothing-to-do-with-NAMA have been funding these children for years. The right thing to do would be for PS workers to give their off-spring to child slavery for the benefit of the we-never-stroked anybody-sector.

Furthermore, PS workers should be forbidden to take any joy in the forthcoming festive season given that it was Coca-cola who invented Santa and the PS has yet to pay-up royalties on the copy-right. Further bans on PS workers leaving their homes on Sunny bank holidays should also be considered for next summer. After-all most warm weather is attributed to climate-change which was entirely engineered by Industry.

Finally, failing all else PS workers should be denied access to the Health Service, Education, and and any form of Justice. When nurses and doctors start paying for stuff like everyone else they can have the expensive operations covered by their VHI schemes. Likewise, teachers can educate their own kids in their own homes until such a time that they take out mortgages to pay for the school buildings that the Public Sector profited outrageously from building.
    If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar

birthday

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post

Fair point. Seems unfair for many if they were frozen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ivnryn View Post
    Why would it be unlawful. They are effectively minor promotions right (though for time served and not for actual merit).
    Whether it would be unlawful or not, the Government could (and if it was honest it would), plead inability to pay.
    That would get them off the hook but would lose them hundreds of thousands of votes, and lets face it, what's more important?
    Last edited by katy brock; 10th December 2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: punc.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by collina View Post
    Finally, failing all else PS workers should be denied access to the Health Service, Education, and and any form of Justice. When nurses and doctors start paying for stuff like everyone else they can have the expensive operations covered by their VHI schemes. Likewise, teachers can educate their own kids in their own homes until such a time that they take out mortgages to pay for the school buildings that the Public Sector profited outrageously from building.
    A "Public Sector Melodrama Levy" might be called for though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sharper View Post
    A "Public Sector Melodrama Levy" might be called for though.
    Or a 'doth protest too much' tax

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Theoretically increments are for merit, for good work, but the reality is they are for time served.

Freezing increments (with no back pay) for a couple of years would help the financial mess. Fairer than cutting pay. Public sector workers (my partner is one) had legitimate (I believe this is the legal phrase)expectations that their salary would at least remain the same and took on commitments on this basis.

nothing in the budget about reform of Tds expenses - but then turkeys don't vote for Xmas.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast