Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arm the Guards.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Protect Us From ISIS. Arm the Guards!

Last edited by rant_and_rave; 19th November 2015 at 01:09 PM.

Politics.ie Member louis bernard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rant_and_rave View Post
    Detectives are armed; the armed response unit is armed. No need for your average plod to be armed.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And this is an example of one of the so called useless public sector workers thats not worthy of his wage???....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fix the social problems first.

... Arm the police and increase the power of the police and those on the other side of the law (and society) will respond in kind. I know that if I was an outcast of mainstream society, robbing banks and the like, that is what I would do.

Violence begets violence. Even if that violence is sanctioned by the state and sanctioned by mainstream society, it is still violence that will beget more violence.

I would also include imprisonment and the threat of violence through more equipment and presence, as comprising state sponsored violence (and thus sponsored by you and me). Any increase in it will inevitably propagate violence through all society. Let's try to keep it at an absolute minimum.

Here's an insightful quote from RD Laing to think about with regards to our society and our state and the violence it can exercise: ďLove and violence, properly speaking, are polar opposites. Love lets the other be, but with affection and concern. Violence attempts to constrain the other's freedom, to force him to act in the way we desire, but with ultimate lack of concern, with indifference to the other's own existence or destiny... We are effectively destroying ourselves by violence masquerading as love..."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He was a bit crap really wasn't he? He tried to tackle a bloke with a knife with his bare hands, gets his face slashed, and the guy gets away. Brilliant. He didn't even get the reg number of the car.

Now he'll probably get a medal.

In future, the people in that shop should just call for fat man in vest to tackle any robbers: BBC News - Man wrestles gun from assailant outside Manchester pub

Politics.ie Member louis bernard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stripey cat View Post
    He was a bit crap really wasn't he? He tried to tackle a bloke with a knife with his bare hands, gets his face slashed, and the guy gets away. Brilliant. He didn't even get the reg number of the car.

Now he'll probably get a medal.

In future, the people in that shop should just call for fat man in vest to tackle any robbers: BBC News - Man wrestles gun from assailant outside Manchester pub
    Not only will he get a medal he will also get a tidy sum from the Garda Compensation scheme. Itís a lovely little earner.
    Gardai get record €10m in payouts as assaults soar - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If he was off duty he wouldn' thave had a gun anyway, andif he is a plain clothes detective I beieve he has the right to carry a small revolver (Garda issue) so this isn't a "why".
    In relation to the general idea of arming the Gardai, I wold be against it because I simply do not trust the Gardai. Everytime teh Gardai have beaten someone, abused their power or acted in any other way illegaly the Gardai have habitualy circled the wagons and abstructed investigations, in some cases the have even intimidated witnesses or compainants. Giving them guns would be giving them one more weapon to use against the general public, as the Gardai have shown an aversion to tackling real criminals and preefer instead to go after late opening pubs so the arrest statistic look good at the end of the year. I would not arm the Gardai nor give them any extra power until thee has been an institutional overhaul of the entire force and the crooked clicks and dodgy practices put an end to.
    This might sound like taring everyone with the same brush, but the problem is that it is the bad apples who hold sway within the Gardai. Honest Gardai are side tracked in their careers and ostrocised if the don't go with the flow.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's time to arm the Guards...
    An interestng suggestion, considering current events. You're either a particularly brave man...or a member of An Garda Siochana.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think there is any need to arm the ordinary garda on the beat, there is far more crime in the UK and the police are not armed.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sauntersplash View Post
    An interestng suggestion, considering current events. You're either a particularly brave man...or a member of An Garda Siochana.
    And with the possible exception of of the man in the link in the OP, ne'er the twain shall meet.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast