Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rewarding Failure - Tommy Tiernan joins Pat Neary, Rody Molloy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Rewarding Failure - Tommy Tiernan joins Pat Neary, Rody Molloy

T. Tiernan shocked us with his insane anti-semitic rant (or comedic disaster) at Electric Picnic. As I highlighted here, the real issue is why anyone was laughing at this horror-story.

http://www.politics.ie/current-affai...mitism-26.html

Of course, no-one in RTE should have been surprised. He gets them into hot water every time they bring him on.

http://www.politics.ie/media/39889-g...bcc-again.html

So how does RTE react to Tiernan latest and greatest fiasco?

They reward him with a one-hour Christmas special

RT╔ schedule stuffed with Christmas cheer - The Irish Times - Thu, Dec 03, 2009

What could RTE possibly imagine will happen? Which aspect of Christmas will Tiernan transform with his incisive wit? The massacre of the innocents, perhaps?
    Are we so shell shocked by child abuse, NAMA, FAS and all the rest that we will sit there at Christmas and take whatever Tiernan serves up to us?

OK, we can switch over to something interesting or amusing but what about that €160 I just paid RTE?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To compare a comedian to filth like Rody Molloy is frankly ridiculous. We were given no choice but to fund Molloy. you can turn Tiernan off and not buy his stuff. He is one of the couintry's most popular entertainers and RTE are well within their rights to show him. Had he been on the Beeb instead there'd be howls of derision as tens of thousands migrated over from RTE
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tommy Tiernan suffers from the problem of not really being funny, so all he can do is have recourse to the cheapest of shock tactics.

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is there room on this humourless, self rightious band wagan for one more

"Arrr! Hang 'im from a try cause he made a joke I didn't like/get"
    Annie get your pitch fork.

But lets not forget that Roberto Benini f¨cker who made the film La Vie est Belle in which he clearly makes light of the camps. Who's up for a protest?
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No one should be allowed on RTE unless everyone agrees with them all the time. Bring back Leave It To Mrs O'Brien I say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem is the forced subscription fee. Tommy Tiernan will be funded by people who can't stand him but who will go to jail if they refuse to pay. That's the problem and we need to get rid of the whole concept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    The problem is the forced subscription fee. Tommy Tiernan will be funded by people who can't stand him but who will go to jail if they refuse to pay. That's the problem and we need to get rid of the whole concept.
    Perhaps RTE should become "pay per view", then if the Irish public feel like watching gripping drama like Faircity then they can choose to pay. Also, the "stars" of RTE could then be paid an amount based on their viewership.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    Thanks for actually reading my OP to its conclusion, TradCat, unlike Alonso. It's the licence fee and the concept of national broadcaster with a public service obligation that makes this decision not only unacceptable but a serious failure of public duty. I'd criticise TV3 if they did the same, but the remedy would be simply switching off.

RTE doesn't seem to care. They certainly don't care about their public service obligation as they have booked themselves another trip to the BCI with an entirely predictable and meaningless outcome.

Also, the key comparison I am making is not between Molloy and Tiernan, but between FAS and RTE i.e. rewarding failure. Indeed RTE are inviting further "failure" .

As for CapeCod comparing Tiernan's rant with Roberto Benini (sic) ....
    Last edited by Lefournier; 6th December 2009 at 04:19 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lefournier View Post
    Thanks for actually reading my OP to its conclusion, TradCat, unlike Alonso. It's the licence fee and the concept of national broadcaster with a public service obligation that makes this decision not only unacceptable but a serious failure of public duty. I'd criticise TV3 if they did the same, but the remedy would be simply switching off.

RTE doesn't seem to care. They certainly don't care about their public service obligation as they have booked themselves another trip to the BCI with an entirely predictable and meaningless outcome.

Also, the key comparison I am making is not between Molloy and Tiernan, but between FAS and RTE i.e. rewarding failure. Indeed RTE are inviting further "failure" .

As for CapeCod comparing Tiernan's rant with Roberto Benini (sic) ....
    What's your point? That RTE should be strangled by faux outrage over something it shows just because it's paid for by the taxpayer? That's lunacy. Tiernan's show will be watched by thousands of his fans. More than will watch Nuacht, The Angelus, or tonight's offerings - The All Ireland Talent Show, A Little Bit Showband, Val Falvey, The Week in Politics, South Pacific, Dragon's Den Repeat, Deuce Bigalow.

All the while BBC retain Top Gear and Jonathan Ross, which are hugely popular shows that get them into regular trouble and stuff like the Thick of It in which people are regularly called ************************************ and last week someone was labelled "a sack of cum" FFS!!!! Ooooh Points of View must've been inundated...

To ignore one of our most popular comedians because a few people find him offensive would be a serious dereliction of their public service duty.

(btw if you think his rant at EP was anti-semitic, then you either didn't see or read the entire piece or have very basic faculties of reason, understanding, logic and sense)
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Squib View Post
    Perhaps RTE should become "pay per view", then if the Irish public feel like watching gripping drama like Faircity then they can choose to pay. Also, the "stars" of RTE could then be paid an amount based on their viewership.
    Sadly, they are. But they've made a pig's ar'se of the ratio of budget/wages-to-popularity.

I'd like to see the idea of pay only for what you watch implemented, with an established amount of funding allocated to proper public service broadcasting, educational programming, etc.
    I hate Tubridy. And Gerry Ryan.
    They are insufferable c'unts.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast