Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine Gael - Blue Shirts - Facist Roots

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Fine Gael - Blue Shirts - Facist Roots

Is FG the only surviving party in Europe that has this aspect to it's history? Even to this day you still get the Blueshirt jibes at FG. I think they should change their name to lose the stigma. FF may be alot of things but at least there is nothing like that in the back of the closet.
    Last edited by odlum; 5th December 2009 at 09:51 PM.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

time to move on odlum

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odlum View Post

Is FG the only surviving party in Europe that has this asspect to it's history? Even to this day you still get the Blueshirt jibes at FG. I think they should change their name to lose the stigma. FF may be alot of things but at least there is nothing like that in the back of the closet.
    No? And where exactly did the IRA spring from? Time to read up on your history before making statements like that.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them..........I have others - Groucho Marx.

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Let's not forget the active role of the RCC in Ireland in support of Fascism.

No? And where exactly did the IRA spring from? Time to read up on your history before making statements like that.
    Care to expand a bit on that?
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Odlum, you're a tool.

(Apologies to tools everywhere).
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odlum View Post
    asspect.
    The first part of the word describes you perfectly

Politics.ie Newbie Enda the Mayo peasant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Racists and fascists in ireland today are still more likely to vote Fine Gael than any other party.

The Mayor of Limerick following Varadkar's calls for deportation of immigrants. Another dopey Fine Gael councillor has even called for deportation of EU nationals! Brian Hayes using words like "segregation" when referring to schooling immigrants. The president of Young Fine gael calling for public sector workers to be "locked out".

It's not all a co-incidence you know.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Odlum, you're a tool.

(Apologies to tools everywhere).
    Tools are useful

Politics.ie Newbie Enda the Mayo peasant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by watchbudgie View Post
    The IRB?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    Let's not forget the active role of the RCC in Ireland in support of Fascism.

Care to expand a bit on that?
    I am not a supporter of the ideology of any facist movement nor of the blueshirt movement. Especially as O Duffy became more and more of a loose cannon as time went by.

However it is an inescapable fact that the movement as a concept was established in the 30's to counteract the intimidation at rallies etc of the IRA of the time which acted with impunity with the acquiesence of Dev and Co.

Once again I am not criticising as I did not live in that era and have not the right to criticise. The IRA and the ACA (Army Comrades Association) which were the 'blueshirts' were two sides of the same coin in that they were the bodyguards of their respective parties.

The excerpt below from wikipedia which is an excerpt from an excellent historical tome called 'The Blueshirts' gives a succinct analysis and I hope underlines what I believe to be my objectivity.

"The Blueshirts are sometimes described as "quasi-fascist",and the extent to which they can be seen as the Irish equivalent of Hitler's Brownshirts and Mussolini's Blackshirts continues to be debated. They employed paramilitary-style uniforms, greeted each other with the Roman salute, and participated in street fights against the IRA. On the other hand, fascist ideology was not widespread among rank-and-file members, many of whom simply shared an opposition to the IRA, the governing left-of-centre Fianna Fáil party, and contemporary economic policies. The organisation was defensive rather than offensive in outlook, and unlike their European counterparts, members were not known to engage in political terrorism. The historian R.M.Douglas has written: "[M]ost scholars... accept that those who have sought to find in the Blueshirts an Irish manifestation of fascism have been looking in the wrong place".
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them..........I have others - Groucho Marx.

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast