Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dermot Martin wants Bishops to take responsibility

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb Dermot Martin wants Bishops to take responsibility

Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin has said that he is not happy with the response of bishops named in the report of the Commission of Investigation into the Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin.

In an interview with RTÉ News, Archbishop Martin said he is writing to Bishop of Limerick Donal Murray and others to say that their responses are a matter for the people of the Dublin Archdiocese and not their own dioceses.

Archbishop Martin said: 'Everybody has to stand up and accept responsibility for what they did.'

RTÉ News: Martin wants bishops to accept responsibility

I just watched the interview and I have to say, I admire his courage as in my view, Martin is 'calling out' these Bishops, in public.

Thoughts, please on this subject.
    The hurt of one is the hurt of all, the honour of one is the honour of all.

Native American Indian Traditional Code of Ethics

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Within Catholicism his comments are revolutionary. Bishops never say the things he said. When he said on Prime Time that he didn't want to sit with people (at meetings of bishops) who hadn't explain their role that was a radical comment. He was in effect saying that he would consider quitting rather that sit with people who still had not explained their actions and taken responsibility for them. He didn't exclude Connell from the call for an explanation. That was 'sharp intake of breath' time. Archbishops never ever call for explanations from cardinals. They are technically their superiors, princes of the church, answerable to no-one.

To outsiders his comments may have sounded cautious, but within the Church they are quite simply revolutionary. No Irish archbishop has ever used such language, with such implications, against fellow bishops. He is totally correct. But it is very brave in that institution to say what he said. He in his period in office has shown incredible guts in standing up to Connell and others, and willingly handing over every file.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Politics.ie Member droghedasouth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I only caught the end of it but he was incredibly impressive for someone constrained by Church protocol. I think his line that it is for the people of Dublin to decide the future of their former bishops was an inspired (and I use the word deliberately) piece of creative thinking and totally to the point. He has completely obliterated Murray's position that it is for the priests and people of Limerick (home of Archbishop Newman before he came to Dublin and site of the only Irish pogrom against the Jews) to decide his future.

Murray will be gone in 10 days maximum.

He can join Magee who, in spite of his former Vatican connections, had to go when Archbishop Martin shoved him.

Archbishop Martin is the only one standing between the total collapse of the Catholic Church in Ireland.
    Last edited by droghedasouth; 2nd December 2009 at 12:46 AM.
    There are times when you are simply required to be impolite. There are times when condescension is called for!
    - Aaron Sorkin writing as President Bartlet to Obama, NYT 21/09/2008

You can't build a smart economy based on dumb decisions.
    - Richard Bruton 18/12/2008

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by droghedasouth View Post
    He can join Magee who, in spite of his former Vatican connections, had to go when Archbishop Martin shoved him.

Archbishop Martin is the only one standing between the total collapse of the Catholic Church in Ireland.
    But is Magee really gone?

Politics.ie Member Garland Names the Planets's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Martin is only better in the sense that he has the presence of mind not to say something in response to these things that force ones jaw to the drop to the floor with the instant thought "Are you for f.ucking real"?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by droghedasouth View Post

Precisely. He's the bag man.

The Vatican is very good at picking a man for the job.

I don't see him calling for any resignations.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    Within Catholicism his comments are revolutionary. Bishops never say the things he said. ... He was in effect saying that he would consider quitting rather that sit with people who still had not explained their actions and taken responsibility for them. ...No Irish archbishop has ever used such language, with such implications, against fellow bishops. He is totally correct. But it is very brave in that institution to say what he said. He in his period in office has shown incredible guts in standing up to Connell and others, and willingly handing over every file.

A major step forward, and, I agree, a very brave one!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    Within Catholicism his comments are revolutionary. Bishops never say the things he said. When he said on Prime Time that he didn't want to sit with people (at meetings of bishops) who hadn't explain their role that was a radical comment. He was in effect saying that he would consider quitting rather that sit with people who still had not explained their actions and taken responsibility for them. He didn't exclude Connell from the call for an explanation. That was 'sharp intake of breath' time. Archbishops never ever call for explanations from cardinals. They are technically their superiors, princes of the church, answerable to no-one.

To outsiders his comments may have sounded cautious, but within the Church they are quite simply revolutionary. No Irish archbishop has ever used such language, with such implications, against fellow bishops. He is totally correct. But it is very brave in that institution to say what he said. He in his period in office has shown incredible guts in standing up to Connell and others, and willingly handing over every file.
    I watched him on Prime Time and I couldn't believe what he was saying. It takes such guts, on his part, to call these Bishops out. I totally agree with you when you use the word 'revolutionary', because it truly is. It is showdown time and the Catholic Church NEVER does this in public.
    I have to say, I felt sorry for him when he said that only two Bishops had picked up the phone since Thursday, to ask if he was ok.
    Within the Irish Catholic Church, he is standing alone. A VERY lonely place.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uriah View Post
    But is Magee really gone?
    I wondered the same thing

I don't think so

Politics.ie Member droghedasouth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eyeswideopen View Post
    Precisely. He's the bag man.

The Vatican is very good at picking a man for the job.

I don't see him calling for any resignations.
    You obviously did not see Prime Time.
    There are times when you are simply required to be impolite. There are times when condescension is called for!
    - Aaron Sorkin writing as President Bartlet to Obama, NYT 21/09/2008

You can't build a smart economy based on dumb decisions.
    - Richard Bruton 18/12/2008

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast