Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Political Correctness - Black Skin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Political Correctness - Black Skin

Has political correctness gone mad?

I have to discuss African ethnic diversity next week and have hit a bit of a problem. The group I will be talking to are terribly politically correct so obviously I need to be careful.

Anyway, I simply cannot think of a term for someone with black skin that is both politically correct and does not include the phrase "africa".

The only politically correct words for "na fir gorm" are Afro-carribean and African-American which won't really work with what I am saying and in any case are misleading terms when you consider the vast numbers of Africans who are not "Afro-caribbean"...

Advice on suitable wording would also be appreciated...
    (and please no racist rants..)
    Economic Left/Right: 0.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

'Black'.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    'Black'.
    Well for any reasonable human beings, yes that would be fine but referring to people as "black" is not considered politically correct by many.
    Economic Left/Right: 0.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

chocolate faces?

those of an ebony appearance?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Stick with the african equivilants of anglo-saxon, celt, so arabs, berbers etc. Saying "black" isn't true for the continent, as you wouldn't likely describe an Egyptian as black for instance, no more than you would describe everyone from the North American continent as white.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well it has never been a problem for any black friends of mine in England. Any more than 'white' is a problem for me (a fairly olive-skinned hangover from the Spanish Armada). If your audience are trendy white middle-class liberals, tell them they're racist for not using the term. That'll shut them up.

basketballer types?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Minstrels.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drico View Post
    Has political correctness gone mad?

I have to discuss African ethnic diversity next week and have hit a bit of a problem. The group I will be talking to are terribly politically correct so obviously I need to be careful.

Anyway, I simply cannot think of a term for someone with black skin that is both politically correct and does not include the phrase "africa".

The only politically correct words for "na fir gorm" are Afro-carribean and African-American which won't really work with what I am saying and in any case are misleading terms when you consider the vast numbers of Africans who are not "Afro-caribbean"...

Advice on suitable wording would also be appreciated...
    (and please no racist rants..)
    what are you trying to say ? If you are talking about African ethnic diversity, whats the problem? If you are talking about Africa, why should you not use the term Africa ?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast