Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ABFF - Negative voting against FF constituency by constituency. Please complete.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ABFF - Negative voting against FF constituency by constituency. Please complete.

Most punters will vote for the resons they always have (likability, local work, geography), but there should be enough astute voters who fill the ballot to ensure that FF gets as few transfers as possible: how is this best done.

The only viable alternative coalition is Fine Gael and Labour.
    FG on their own (if even possible) would be a scary prospect for anyone.
    FG and SF simply would not work.
    FG and Greens is a non-runner since the Greens won't have any.
    FF and Labour is to be avoided at all costs.

So constituency by Constituency - what is the best tactic to apply?

eg Mayo - would you vote by preference with only one party:
    FG weakest to strongest? Labour candidate, Mulherin, O'Mahony, Kenny, Ring, any independent, any SF.

eg Dublin North Central
    FG No 2 (OMuiri/Breen), Bruton (who is likely to be elected but just in case), O'Riordan (lab), F McGrath, any independent, SF, Green.

eg Dublin Central
    Pascal Donohue (Fg), Labour No. 2, Joe Costello, Maureen O'Sullivan, Green , SF, independents.

But there are some with different considerations, such as where reduction in number of seats:

eg Dun Laoighaire
    Gilmore (to ensure he gets in a very tight constituency), Barret, FG no. 2, Labour no. 2, Cuffe, independents, Boyd Barret.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is an excellent idea for a thread. I'd be grateful for any informed comment on the situation in county Wexford.

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    eg Dun Laoighaire
    Gilmore (to ensure he gets in a very tight constituency), Barret, FG no. 2, Labour no. 2, Cuffe, independents, Boyd Barret.
    Great idea for a thread

Dun Laoghaire
    I'd submit that you should swap Gilmore with Barrett - G got in before B last time. Also, if you want to avoid FF-Lab, maybe giving the second FG candidate your third choice rather than Labour's would be an idea.

Also, I'd suggest having Green eradication as a secondary priority. Therefore Cuffe goes towards the back of the list - after SF, before FF.

Therefore it's Barrett, Gilmore, FG no. 2, Lab no. 2, Inds, SF, GP, FF

DSE
    Lab's no. 2 (if applicable - based on the locals, they have a real chance in this constituency, but will need every vote), Quinn, FG's no. 2, Creighton, Inds, SF, GP, FF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wicklow already has 2 Blueshirts.
    We have Labour's Lady Wicklow, originally Official IRA's Liz McManus.
    2 FF (I don't believe Joe Behan is really independent). That leaves Roche.
    It's all quite depressing really.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mods: can I continuously edit OP to include constituencies in alphabetical order?

This will apply where there is concensus or where there are two sensible arguments eg for DL a Labour person would put Gilmore first, somone else might see 2 FG'ers as a greater priority and hope Gilmore is carried in by transfers.

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Approach the ballot paper from the perspective of who's least likely to put FF back in power. Order of least liklihood would be FG, Lab, SF, Ind, Green. When I filled up the ballot paper for the Dub Central by-election, I made sure to put the Green candidate and Maurice Ahern at the very end. So it was something like; Donohoe(FG), Bacik(Lab), Burke(SF), the various inds (CSP, Perry), Green, FF

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    Approach the ballot paper from the perspective of who's least likely to put FF back in power. Order of least liklihood would be FG, Lab, SF, Ind, Green. When I filled up the ballot paper for the Dub Central by-election, I made sure to put the Green candidate and Maurice Ahern at the very end. So it was something like; Donohoe(FG), Bacik(Lab), Burke(SF), the various inds (CSP, Perry), Green, FF
    But it has to be more precise than that.
    There is no point in having two FG candidates, one with 0.9 of a quota and the other with 0.5. It would be far better if they had 0.7 each.
    Extending this to include Labour is the purpose of this thread.

0.7 of a quota is the magic number to almost ensure election (though as Dick Spring found out,there are exceptions).

FF gets their seat bonus from the number of candidates they have elected without reaching the quota. There is an art to it (SF did it brilliant in the MLA elections in the falls).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    That is the trick. ABFF should include anyone who would be tempted to go in to coalition with them. Hopefully the Greens will get the PD treatment next time around and Labour and SF will be terrified to go anywhere near FF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good luck with Enda Kenny.
    I'd say the ABFG thread will be up within a fortnight of him being sworn in.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster View Post
    Good luck with Enda Kenny.
    I'd say the ABFG thread will be up within a fortnight of him being sworn in.
    Perhaps but I doubt he'll be such an abject failure as FF/Greens

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast