Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fr Peter McVerry's Hypocrisy

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fr Peter McVerry's Hypocrisy

Fr Peter McVerry, in a letter in the IT today writes:

Madam, - Could I suggest that the PDs postpone their tax cuts until all homeless people have been given beds? - Yours, etc,
    The hypocrisy of the man is staggering. He is a member of multi-bilion euro institution who will always have a bed to sleep in and a warm meal. The man has never paid income tax in his life shielded as he is by his religious vows.

It's disgraceful that he is constantly interfering in politics and pontificating from his ivory tower about things that will never affact his life.

Default Re: Fr Peter McVerry's Hypocrisy

Quote Originally Posted by dubsthcentralboy

Madam, - Could I suggest that the PDs postpone their tax cuts until all homeless people have been given beds? - Yours, etc,
    The hypocrisy of the man is staggering. He is a member of multi-bilion euro institution who will always have a bed to sleep in and a warm meal. The man has never paid income tax in his life shielded as he is by his religious vows.

It's disgraceful that he is constantly interfering in politics and pontificating from his ivory tower about things that will never affact his life.
    they do effect his life he works everyday with the homeless
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let me guess. This is coming from a comfortable middle class social conservative who doesn't want to talk about such vile things as homelessness? Fair ************************'s to people like Peter McVerry. He doesn't have to worry about a roof over his head, nor hould he. Nor should anyone, that is his point. You come across as really small minded.
    "John Bull has got his hand down your pants and his fist around your bollox and you can't see it."

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOD

Let me guess. This is coming from a comfortable middle class social conservative who doesn't want to talk about such vile things as homelessness? Fair ************************'s to people like Peter McVerry. He doesn't have to worry about a roof over his head, nor hould he. Nor should anyone, that is his point. You come across as really small minded.
    Nice to know that you're so open-minded yourself DOD. I count five value judgements that you've made about me if your short post. Try to stick to debating rather than passing idle judgements on the people you're debating.

Fr McVerry is obviously a very good man who feels strongly about what he has made his mission in life. I am a great admirer of his and I think he should be vaule for the work he has done.

However, we had enough of the Church running people's lives in this country without clerics trying to tell the Government what to do about taxation policy. I for one believe in giving people their own money to spend. I know better how to spend my own money that Brian Cowen. Charity should be a voluntary thing, the Government can't make people moral or charitable by stealing from their pay packets every month and pumping money in to some endless hole.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dubsthcentralboy, do you by any chance also go under the name of 'the agent' (see here)?
    We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To the best of my knowledge Fr Peter McVerry lives, and always has, amongst those that he works with. Does simply being a catholic mean that we're not able to say anything because we're all magically responsible for everything wrong the church as ever done?
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by St Disibod

dubsthcentralboy, do you by any chance also go under the name of 'the agent' (see here)?
    No, nut guilty I'm not 'the agent' - if you look closely, 'the agent' doesnt' know the difference between a contraction and an abbreviation. I certainly do!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By the way, Fr McVerry is the same man who insists that 20% of the people of Ireland ar eliving in poverty. Even Sinn Fein don't believe such nonsense!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Peter McVerry is one of the most progressive voices within the catholic church, and we should welcome this rather than criticising him for being a priest. He is well known and has a platform which he uses very well to hilight many of the problems in maodern day Ireland.
    " Irish nationalism within British constitutionality is a contradiction in terms"
    Gerry Adams

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

However, we had enough of the Church running people's lives in this country without clerics trying to tell the Government what to do about taxation policy. I for one believe in giving people their own money to spend. I know better how to spend my own money that Brian Cowen. Charity should be a voluntary thing, the Government can't make people moral or charitable by stealing from their pay packets every month and pumping money in to some endless hole.
    Peter McVerry is not speaking as part of the church, but as an anti-homelessness campaigner.
    "John Bull has got his hand down your pants and his fist around your bollox and you can't see it."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast