Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prime Ministers Questions - Westminster

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Prime Ministers Questions - Westminster

due to being housebound with the god damn flu, I mamanged to catch a glimpse at Prime ?Ministers Questions on bbc2 earlier. what a load of drivel. And to think I thought our Ministers etc were bad!

On numerous occasions an opposition MP asked him a question about an issue, Blair then simplt stodd up and said 'We spent x amount on this, while the Conservatives only spend Y amount last time they were in power' and so forth, totally ignoring the question moriginally put to him and not in the elast answering it at all. then we had some Labour MP's standing up to basically say ' I noticed that the prime minister patted himself on the back over x issue, I think it is only proper that the Prime minister pats himself on the back somemore, and will he reassure the British Public, that he is still quite adapt at back patting'

I feel sorry for the British electorate. It's not that often an MP would get to ask Mr. Blair a question on something during Prime Ministers Questions, and instead of asking him about a genuine and important constituency issue, they merely engage in another bout of extreme ass licking.

The British Electorate must be envious of us that our ministers give half answers to questions instead of constantly trying to avoid the question asked in its entirety!
    IT IS BETTER TO DESERVE A MEDAL AND NOT GET ONE, THAN TO GET A MEDAL AND NOT DESERVE IT

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, its bad - but you've got to admit that its better than the organised, scripted tedium that is Taoiseach's Questions here - where you can actually hear Ministerial paper-shuffling while Ahern drones on, such is the funereal atmosphere.

(By the way, how many thousand were at your meeting in the Plaza last night, where your party were due to demand that other parties take action to protect services at Tallaght Hospital? It may have escaped your notice, but FG and Labour in DSW have been sitting on this issue for several months now.... )
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Prime Ministers Questions - Westminster

Quote Originally Posted by Larkinite

The British Electorate must be envious of us that our ministers give half answers to questions instead of constantly trying to avoid the question asked in its entirety!

Most barely know who their own MP is, have never watched PM Question Time except for the bits that appear on the main news & know sweet f all about how your ministers conduct themselves. 95% couldn't even name the An Taoiseach
    Poni welwch chwi hynt y gwynt a'r glaw?
    Poni welwch chi'r deri'n ymdaraw?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also housebound with the flu - saw Dáil Live this morning on RTE and also PMQ on the Daily POlitics just after it.

PMQ is more entertaining but the structure is such that the substance is almost always lacking.

The Dáil is exactly the opposite. All substance but rare examples of entertainment - the odd quip from Higgins or Rabbitte or backbenchers.

I think the behaviour of the TD's - maybe it was just this morning - is particularly childish though. Deputy Cuffe needed a cuff to the back of the head this morning it was so tantrum-like.

I thought Kenny asked his questions well but faced with what seemed to be informed and focussed answers kind of lost his way - maybe that's why the barracking started. Thought Rabbitte did alot better. Sargent looks like someone who likes playing the game of party leader as opposed to a genuine opposition battler.

And before anyone says it I know the Dáil is not supposed to be entertaining - but Yes Minister wasn't on til 220.
    Those who think they know it all upset those of us that do.........

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I hope that wehn Ritchie O' Reilly asks Brian and Enda to sign the pledge, that they both will.

We have been activie supporters of the Tallaght Hospital campaign for quite a while too, and indeed our literature has been full of stuff on Tallaght Hospital as well.

Difference is, that we will be continuing to support the campaign well after the general Election, whereas is Labour or FG got elected they will no ndoubt continue were FF and the PD's have left off on the issue.

We also feel that Crumlin should be left open too.
    IT IS BETTER TO DESERVE A MEDAL AND NOT GET ONE, THAN TO GET A MEDAL AND NOT DESERVE IT

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkinite
    Well I hope that wehn Ritchie O' Reilly asks Brian and Enda to sign the pledge, that they both will.
    Depends, what does the pledge actually say? If it involves maintaining Tallaght's status as a National Children's Hospital, I'm sure they'll have no problem - given that they've already said that in public on many occasions. If on the other hand it involves maintaining Tallaght Hospital within a Marxist state or something, that might be different.

We have been activie supporters of the Tallaght Hospital campaign for quite a while too, and indeed our literature has been full of stuff on Tallaght Hospital as well.
    I'm not saying you haven't - I saw ye at the rally, after all. But I thought your posters for the meeting this week were a bit silly, as they sought to imply that other parties had nothing to say on the issue. Now I know every party tries to talk up its involvement in something like this, but no-one in DSW will have been taken in by your posters - you'd need to be deaf, blind, and probably dead too, not to know that Labour, and FG in particular have put this issue at the centre of their campaigning since last autumn.

Difference is, that we will be continuing to support the campaign well after the general Election, whereas is Labour or FG got elected they will no ndoubt continue were FF and the PD's have left off on the issue.
    You see, with all due respect, thats just b*llsh*t. You like to say it, because it suits your party's view that "oh, all the "establishment" parties are the same, we're the only ones who REALLY stand up for the people" - but your wrong. FG have committed to having two national children's hospitals in Dublin - one on the Northside, and one on the Southside - the one on the Southside being Tallaght. They've said it often enough, and loudly enough - its a commitment they'll have no problem upholding.

One other question - I don't doubt your commitment to this issue, so tell me this - will you be transferring your vote to ALL candidates who have pledged to keep the National Children's Hospital in Tallaght? Last time I checked, those candidates were Rabbitte, Hayes, Davidson and Crowe. Will you transfer your vote to all those candidates, ahead of the Government TDs?
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I due to irregular work practises ,used to watch daily politics alot and PMQ
    It is far more entertaining than sessions from the dail, this probably due with the different structures of parliament, there are more parties in the dail obviously and while ireland focuses mainly on very local issues in Westminster they focuses on the bigger issues

And UK politics is far more entertaining, its mainly just the people involved in the UK they are more charismatic, take a look at News Night (BBC2 22.30) with Jeremy Paxman
    and I would much prefer to watch The UK this week ( a carry on from dail politics, on thursday nights) with Michael Portillo and Diane Abbott Abbott
    Than the irish Week in Politics which nearly puts me to sleep.

There current affairs programmes are just more entertaining and better done
    "We know what to do, we just dont know how to get elected afterwards" Jean-Claude Juncker on how to fix the European economy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of the best PMQs in a while. I don't pretend that this is constructive debate. But the skill of Cameron and Miliband is superior to anything that would be seen in Ireland.

Also, note the respect for Bercow.

That would never be accepted.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thy've got this really refreshing thing though when the cameras arn't rollimg. Get this.... When someone in public office does something wrong they put them behind bars. Radical Eh? Happpens in Europe generally I'm told.

Politics.ie Member Frank Galton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pseudonym View Post

One of the best PMQs in a while. I don't pretend that this is constructive debate. But the skill of Cameron and Miliband is superior to anything that would be seen in Ireland.

Also, note the respect for Bercow.
    That would never be accepted.
    Really odd that Cameron, who is normally on top of things, forgot about Virginia Wade!
    The Daily Mail -- the world's biggest cut-and-paste operation.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast