Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maiden Dail speech by Oliver Flanagan

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Maiden Dail speech by Oliver Flanagan

How is it that we do not see any of these [Emergency Powers] Acts directed against the Jews, who crucified Our Saviour nineteen hundred years ago, and who are crucifying us every day in the week? How is it that we do not see them directed against the Masonic Order? How is it that the I.R.A. is considered an illegal organisation while the Masonic Order is not considered an illegal organisation? [...] There is one thing that Germany did, and that was to rout the Jews out of their country. Until we rout the Jews out of this country it does not matter a hair's breadth what orders you make. Where the bees are there is the honey, and where the Jews are there is the money.

I know he was elected an independent before joining Fine Gael but why would FG admit such a person into their parliamentary party? Kind of strange when the excellent Alan Shatter is in their ranks at the moment. Is their any other anti-semites in the ranks of Fine Gael either in the past or present.

I am just curious, as I am researching anti-semitism at the moment, in no way is this a slight at FG.

think you should point out that speech was made circa 1943, hardly reflects modern FG thinking.
    Having said that, his big conspiracy rant does remind me of certain p.ie contributors!
    "the view that a natural father who is caring for his children in such circumstances has absolutely no constitutional rights or protection in respect of his relationship with his children, and must accept the few crumbs that fall from the table of statutory protection, is increasingly untenable."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FG had a shameful role in the spanish civil war fighting with the facists

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Quinn View Post
    I'm interested in finding out what exactly this shameful past you purport FG had with the Spanish civil war? As far as I knew FG had no involvement in this?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Quinn View Post
    Sweet Jesus, make me wake up and find it was all a nightmare

Is it not time that FG's Justice spokesman clarified the party's current attitude to Oliver J.'s 1943 remarks?

By the way, Oliver J. campaigned to get into the Dail on a "Monetary Reform" platform. Given the monetary mayhem the world is now experiencing, he was clearly a man ahead of his time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
    I know he was elected an independent before joining Fine Gael but why would FG admit such a person into their parliamentary party? Kind of strange when the excellent Alan Shatter is in their ranks at the moment. Is their any other anti-semites in the ranks of Fine Gael either in the past or present.

I am just curious, as I am researching anti-semitism at the moment, in no way is this a slight at FG.
    Right wing Catholicism was rife in Ireland at the time.

As Catholicism had been repressed by Great Britain, independence resulted in an outopuring of Catholic supremism. The Eucharistic Congress in 1932 is a prime example. Much of this outpouring was negative as can be seen in the deferential treatment of the hierarchy.

The Church's view of Judaism was medieval at the time.

I suggest you research anti-semitism in Ireland in this context rather than as a feature of party politics. Right wing catholicism crossed party boundaries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whte Horse he is a SF troll ignore him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While the links between modern day FG and Flanagan are rather tenous, it is disturbing that Enda Kenny unveiled a memorial bust of Flanagan in the very recent past.

He was one of the most vile politicians this country has ever seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Segretti View Post
    Is it not time that FG's Justice spokesman clarified the party's current attitude to Oliver J.'s 1943 remarks?

By the way, Oliver J. campaigned to get into the Dail on a "Monetary Reform" platform. Given the monetary mayhem the world is now experiencing, he was clearly a man ahead of his time.
    It's 2009 the country is falling apart, get a grip.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast