Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fianna Fail divide Public from Private sector and continue to rule. Will it work?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fianna Fail divide Public from Private sector and continue to rule. Will it work?

I have fallen for it myself and attacked the Public Sector for all the usual cliches.

But on reflection, a private sector worker has far more in common with a public sector worker
    - they both work for a living to benefit someone else;
    - they pay unavoidable taxes on the earnings of their labour;
    - pay mortgages on properties which have lost value;
    - have been ripped off for years eg retail and childcare, college registration charges;
    - most will not have a great pension (contary to mythology) and will have to work right up to 65 (at least);
    - and are powerless as individuals to change the way the country operates.

Yet, the powers that be have fostered disunity - where could they have got that idea? Divide and conquer...

We are where we are....
    1) This strike is esssentially futile. It will not stop the further 7% pay cut on public sector (PS) workers. It may save the face of the Union leaders who colluded with the Government in Social Partnership.
    2) The PS have already had a 7.5% levy, cut in expenses to date, and increases in income tax so to suggest that they have not taken heavy hits is false.
    3) During a strike there is a propaganda war. The tiny minority of public sector workers who (lawfully) travelled to Newry today have let down the picketing colleauges. It was seized on by Pay Kenny and here (including me here despite it obviously been a small minority)
    4) The public sector pay bill is just under €19bn. The logic is that since we tried income tax increases in April and revenue fell, cuts must be made in all government expenditure.
    5) The total public pay bill has fallen by 2.2% this year (due to embargo and pension levy).
    6) Deflation is at 6.8%.

7) Becasue many public sector workers are still getting their incremental pay rises, have a guaranteed job and pension in a time of job insecurity and stock market, the latter are like gold (and due to the embargo private workers cannot get in). There is therefore a built in envy factor which has been seised on by FF.

8) The "debate" has been raging for months and people are sick of the cliches and misinformation (roll's royce pensions, we must all share the pain, trophy houses and we are where we are etc).

The result:
    9) People are no longer interested in the fact that Fianna Fail:
    a) blew a boom
    b) turned a surplus into a massive deficit.
    c) narrowed the tax base to very narrow levels.
    d) allowed crazy banking practices jeopardise the State.
    e) provided for a a €54bn bailout of banks by way of state-aid with the State picking up the tab of overpayments and higher interest rates while preserving bank shareholders and sparing bondholders
    f) continue to allow mad tax emptions to exist eg hotels and other properties and huge subsidy of private sector pensions.
    g) will have to inflict severe cuts in social welfare, public services and pay.
    h) is massively dependant on corporate donations and those of rich benefactors and they faciliate accepting donations so that they do have to be declared (eg spread over two accounting years, in the names of a few family members, off-set against the cost of a particular event).
    i) The wealthy have been hit through their own poor investments but nit as yet through government intervention.
    j) FF continue to appoint insiders to ensure the show stays on the road.

We are where we are because Fianna Fail have brought us here.

10. But to bring about election...
    1) The FF backbenchers must be pressurised to go independent and take their chances.
    2) the Greens must be prised away.
    3) Grealish, Behan (who voted against NAMA) must vote against goverment. FG should beg/offer a place on their ticket/a senate seat to FF backbenchers.
    4) Lowry and Bertie must resign their seats (assuming negative Tribunal reports).
    5) Any but FF win the Donegal by-election - someone must move writ Pat the Cope Gallagher is not dead so no period of respectful mourning is required.
    6) The Private sector workers should unite to support the Public Sector ones in their camapaign which should focus on getting rid of corrupt/incompetant FF.
    7) The Budget must not pass.

11.) The election:
    1) The 30-35% of people who do not vote must be encouraged/pressurised to do so.
    2) FF canvassers should be in fear (though press campaign rather than actual intimidation) of calling door to door and just dropping.
    3) All non FF voters must vote tactically and fill the ballot. A link has to be made in people's minds that voting FF for a 1,2,3 or 4 preference, is a vote for Ahern's digouts, banker bailouts, corruption and cronyism, dodgy deals. An ABFF education shoudl be co-ordinated. (see here: http://www.politics.ie/fianna-fail/1...-complete.html )
    4) Being associated with FF needs to be seen as anti-social. Or basically anyone in FF should be treatde in the same way as an Nazi Anglo-Irish boardmember who has just farted. Eventually the media will cop on.

12.) Then the real tough job: The FF state needs to be dismantled.
    1. Provide real accountability for spending public monies.
    2. Abolishing over 800 quangos.
    3. Kicking out the unqualified friends of FF from boards and bodies.
    4. Ending dependence on social welfare for 720,000 citizens.
    5. Greater regulation of certain aspects of business and community life eg planning and financial services.
    6. Abolish a host of tax shelters and 6,000 lawful avoiders.
    7.adopting EU regulations on time and then then enforcing them eg pollution, habitats and Floods.
    8. Reform the national broadcaster.
    9. Break the power of the press barons.
    10. Improving the education system to a high standrd of quality and ending inequality (eg rotate teachers).
    11. Providing for equality in access for all non-elective healthcare.
    12. Citizens being treated as members of a society rather than economic units.
    13. Abolishing corporate donations to cut off their money supply (and limiting undeclared donations to €200 and requiring all gifts above that value (bar engagement rings) to be declared)).
    Last edited by Congalltee; 27th November 2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: I wanted to improve my post on reflection (normally I wouldn't change OP but no one has really disagreed with anything in it)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RTE are playing a disgraceful role in this with the 6 oclock news featuring an utterly unsupported story about PS 'strikers abandoning pickets to go shopping over the border".... er evidence?

a) an interview with a crop haired nordie teenager who said 'dat fella dere is on strike' pointing vaguely towards the car park... having probably been handed a tenner...

b) an English guy loading his car who surmised a lot of shoppers were on strike...'what else would you do?'

c) A Granny who obviously provided with a strong leading question ...such as 'do you think many southern strikers are shopping here ?" replied 'ohhhh yess definitely'

This is appalling reporting...I would be prepared to bet that this is a 'Kick the Donkey' effort....ie ' go up to Newry and get a strikers shopping story' .... " I've got a youth,a Granny, and a bearded Englishman agreeing will that do? " ......" YeahThat'll do the trick ok "....

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just heard the announcement of another strike planned? I overheard it, maybe I am wrong?

FF are knee deep in sh1t and they are nowhere near Cork!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by old timer View Post
    RTE are playing a disgraceful role in this with the 6 oclock news featuring an utterly unsupported story about PS 'strikers abandoning pickets to go shopping over the border".... er evidence?

a
    The kids are off school; hence the shopping, for fck.s sake.
    We need a licence-fee boycott - why pay for FF-spin ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The damage Fianna Fail and their Einzsatgruppen in ISME,IBEC and RTE are doing to the social farbric of the nation is nothing short of treasonable. Outrage because some people went to another part of this country to shop because their kids were off school but nothing about the top numbskulls in AIB,Anglo etc earning hundreds and hundreds of thousand.

People sure know how to pick the wrong targets.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is not confined to RTE:
    http://www.politics.ie/economy/11913...ce-cheque.html
    (look who the author is)

http://www.politics.ie/transport/119...-shopping.html
    (I added to this one. Daft in retrospect)

http://www.politics.ie/current-affai...ice-dying.html
    This is recycled Joe Duffy.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It doesn`t need FF to divide PS and Private sector workers.

Every time a PS union leader comes on the media and this private sector worker is divided a little bit more.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fing Fers View Post
    Just heard the announcement of another strike planned? I overheard it, maybe I am wrong?

FF are knee deep in sh1t and they are nowhere near Cork!
    Three days before the budget, I think. Though there has been suggestions of a three-day strike right up 'til the Budget.

There'll have to be priv. Union support; I'm certain their members'll support it.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes its obvious that mammies will be taking the off school schoolkids shopping...all public sector workers are strictly rostered for picket duties...and the vast majority participate...its a three line whip...Hordes going shopping is unlikely...But why let the facts get in the way of a 'good story' eh RTE ???....By the way who was the fat has-been hack who filed the disgraceful 'report' from Newry, as someone who worked as a journalist on a national daily I can confidently assert that this utterly unsupported 'story' was a piece of pure political spin from RTE senior news managers in an attempt to give the FF/Green govt a media 'dig out'....

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Divide and concur. I'll divide the PS strikers myself if there next planned strikes effect my chance of returning to work, been waiting almost a year. I have to be somewhere on the 3rd and I have to use the train, and its vital for my livelihood. If they (PS Strikers) interfere with my plans on the 3rd, expect to see me on the news showing FF how to divide them.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast