Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bonus points for doing Leaving Cert. through Irish- get rid of them!!!!!

Politics.ie Member Darren Mac an Phríora's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bonus points for doing Leaving Cert. through Irish- get rid of them!!!!!

I for one was open to the argument that students in Irish schools should have all of their textbooks available in Irish before the bonus points were dropped.

On more reflection and after re-reading this article last year by Kate Holmquist in The Irish Times I now am in favour of getting rid of them.

Students in Irish schools have generally spent at least five or six years in an all-Irish education system. Indeed the majority of them would have probably gone to all-Irish primary schools also.

The vast majority of them would be very fluent. And for those who aren't, well it must be their fault that they are not unless they have some kind of intellectual disability, seriously.

So given that the vast majority of students in second-level Irish schools are very fluent in Irish why should they get bonus points???

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Mac an Phríora View Post
    I for one was open to the argument that students in Irish schools should have all of their textbooks available in Irish before the bonus points were dropped.

On more reflection and after re-reading this article last year by Kate Holmquist in The Irish Times I now am in favour of getting rid of them.

Students in Irish schools have generally spent at least five or six years in an all-Irish education system. Indeed the majority of them would have probably gone to all-Irish primary schools also.

The vast majority of them would be very fluent. And for those who aren't, well it must be their fault that they are not unless they have some kind of intellectual disability, seriously.

So given that the vast majority of students in second-level Irish schools are very fluent in Irish why should they get bonus points???
    Because you would also be discriminating against those who havent been to all Irish schools.

Politics.ie Member JollyRedGiant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should be scrapped for maths -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewagon View Post
    Because you would also be discriminating against those who havent been to all Irish schools.
    What????

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRedGiant View Post
    Only a veteran Trot would make such a comment, politically speaking...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Why do you care?

Nonsense, these bonus points only exist on paper, they are never applied. I went to all Irish primary and seconday, and took my leaving cert(honours) through Irish. The hilarious thing was that three of my friends, in english schools, with poor Irish got higher marks than I did in Irish. Hilarious!
    Also honours physics, which I sat, I got a whole grade lower, a 'C', even though when I tallied my answers with the answers from paper, I was borderline 'A'. So, sorry the bonus never applies. Really you should get 10% of the marks you did not get. i.e. If you got 70% in your exam, you would be due 10% of the 30% you did not get, i.e. 3%. So doing your exam through Irish would bump you up to 73%. That is how is works I believe. The bonus should be kept and should be applied, but it is not generally, AFAIK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why should I have to care? I am merely pointing out something that is wrong.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why should I have to care? I am merely pointing out something that is wrong.

That the native language is favored? I think you will find that in every state in the world. Get a backbone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    Nonsense, these bonus points only exist on paper, they are never applied. I went to all Irish primary and seconday, and took my leaving cert(honours) through Irish. The hilarious thing was that three of my friends, in english schools, with poor Irish got higher marks than I did in Irish. Hilarious!
    Also honours physics, which I sat, I got a whole grade lower, a 'C', even though when I tallied my answers with the answers from paper, I was borderline 'A'. So, sorry the bonus never applies. Really you should get 10% of the marks you did not get. i.e. If you got 70% in your exam, you would be due 10% of the 30% you did not get, i.e. 3%. So doing your exam through Irish would bump you up to 73%. That is how is works I believe. The bonus should be kept and should be applied, but it is not generally, AFAIK.
    I am confused here. You went to an all-Irish should and do not know how the bonus points work??? It is 10% of the mark you get. If you get 70% then you get bumped upto 77%. And that result on your Physics exam is unbelievable. You should have got close to an A and you got a C? I hope you got onto the Department to make sure that whoever corrected it will never be correcting them again.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRedGiant View Post
    The bonus is already at halved for Maths:

State Examination Commission - Candidates

Given that Honours Maths is one of the few LC subjects examined at an appropriately challenging level, it would be a pity to single it out in this way.

If anything, we need to incentivize far more students to take honours, not take away the few incentives that are already there.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast