Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 33% of all Deaths caused by Capitalism

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 33% of all Deaths caused by Capitalism

From a very interesting article that shows that Capitalism has caused hundreds of millions of deaths over the last one hundred years alone:

Almost certainly, the free market has caused more deaths, than the historical mass murders appropriated by liberals as a historical justification for it. More than Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot, the unholy trinity used to frighten us into accepting liberalism. If there is to be a symbol of the negative consequences of European civilisation, then Wall Street is as appropriate as Auschwitz. Both are part of the 'European Heritage', which the EU and national governments so perversely glorify.

What has changed in the last 15 years, to allow me to write this? For the first time in history, several countries have transferred directly, from a non-market to a liberal market economy. They stayed at the same technological level, and kept full statistical records of the effects. It is now possible, for the first time, to estimate the free-market contribution to death rates. These effects are significant, and huge numbers of people are involved. In Russia crude death rates rose from 10,7 per 1000 in 1989 to 15,8 per 1000 in 1994. Comparing Europe in 1500 with Europe in 2000 will not show the effects of the free market: society and technology were fundamentally different in 1500. But Russia in 1994 had the same technology, the same urbanisation, the same infrastructure as Russia in 1989. What changed was that a centrally-planned regime collapsed, and a liberal market system replaced it.

If the free market has caused about one-third of all deaths, in market economies, over the entire period of their existence, then the market has killed hundreds of millions of people. More than all wars, and more than the impact of a one-kilometre meteorite. Probably, the shock of a transition sharply increases death rates, and the long-term market death rate would be lower. But in that case, sudden imposition of neo-liberal policies would increase market death rates, in countries which already have a free market.

Full article:

How many people did Thatcher kill?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and the dumb Cael threads continue.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    and the dumb Cael threads continue.
    Must be really upsetting you to see your Corporatist Brave New World so cruely exposed for the genocide it is.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The reason the number of births decreased,is because birth control become affordable. 10% of the female population used it in 1980,and 49% of the female population used it in 2004.

Some of the deaths were actually good for Russia,since it cleared out all the idiots. Only idiots drink themselves to death or commit suicide.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWatch View Post

Some of the deaths were actually good for Russia,since it cleared out all the idiots.
    Typical genocidist attitude.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    Typical genocidist attitude.
    Since I live in the united states
    So if I bought a gun,and shot myself. Or if I drank a whole 1L bottle of whiskey,and died. That means I was killed in a genocide by capitalism?
    But If I lived in china and did that,then it would be a "natural death"?
    Last edited by BlackWatch; 22nd November 2009 at 09:36 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cael,
    would you copy and display the first page of your CP. I would be really interested to see how you have gained so much rep. It has been noted on another thread that someone with no real apparent support has great rep. I suspect skulduggery on the part of yourself and a few others.
    Cira/rira Not in my name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    Must be really upsetting you to see your Corporatist Brave New World so cruely exposed for the genocide it is.
    All you are exposing is yourself as a half-wit.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, more hecklers than an RUC checkpoint.

It is absolutely fair to say that capitalism kills; particularly in Africa where millions are starved, slaughtered and dehumanised annually to facilitate the corporate rape of their resources.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scratchnsniff View Post
    Cael,
    would you copy and display the first page of your CP. I would be really interested to see how you have gained so much rep. It has been noted on another thread that someone with no real apparent support has great rep. I suspect skulduggery on the part of yourself and a few others.
    Jealousy will get you nowhere. Try writing some good posts and people will give you rep too.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast