Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fianna Fail want you to care about the Football (but that's it)

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fianna Fail want you to care about the Football (but that's it)

Fianna Fail have sent out an email to their mailing list asking people to care.

Care about jobs? no no.....

Care about the state of the economy? .... gah!

Care about the budget in a few weeks? .... shush you!

They want you to get upset about the Football last night.

Dear friend,

Like many of you, I was glued to last night's match, shouting myself hoarse.

Ireland played their hearts out to defeat one of the world's great footballing nations - or they would have were it not for what's been dubbed "Le Hand of God". Thierry Henry's blatant hand ball is a moment that will live in footballing infamy.

I don't want to spend the days until the World Cup starts being furious - I want to make a stand. I have set up a petition calling for a play-off on neutral soil. Add your name now, and I will send the petition to FIFA to make sure they hear our complaint:

Fianna Fil | Demand a Replay

I have always had respect for Thierry Henry. He is a masterful player, with insight, flair and passion. On this occasion he has let football down.

I am taking this initative not just because Ireland's football team deserves a spot in South Africa, but because fair play goes to the heart of what football is all about. Fair play matters too m

uch for us to simply mutter about the big countries always catching a break. Fair play matters too much for us to accept such a blatant attempt to cheat the fans of this great game.

Please join me in adding your name to my petition - let's send a message to FIFA that only a replay on neutral turf will make things right:

Thanks for reading my email - I hope you'll join me in backing Ireland's call for fair play.

Yours,

Dara
    Now, I'll preface this by saying as a person who's completely disinterested by Football I'm as disappointed and fcked off as the next person about what went on last night in Paris. But this circular from Fianna Fail I think completely misses the point about what should be a priority and what's important.

Rather than dealing with a proper communications plan that talks about the economy or what they're doing to solve the crisis we're in, they're latching themselves onto the public upset at last night's football, and they're going to campaign on that.

Way to go Fianna Fail - maybe you'll evolve those skills to deal with the areas you actually have responsibility for.
    Last edited by David Cochrane; 19th November 2009 at 07:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

fianna fail...the populist party....no bandwagon too bandy to jump on.
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Gimpanzee

Oh. Sweet. Jebus.

They must really think the Irish people are stupid. And given their track record at getting elected for the past 7 decades, I'd say they know Irish people pretty well.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jails full to overflow.
    Severe flooding all around the country as a result of bad planning.
    Bankers running rings around the MoF.

Yet all they care about is a game of football.

The Romans had the right idea, involving Bread and Circuses.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now, I've discovered something that makes me even more annoyed than Henry!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can see a parallel (sort of) in the situation in Egypt. Authorities there were quite happy to tolerate widespread violence between Egyptian and Algerian fans. But of course those same authorities would never allow even peaceful protests against the Egyptian government, or against Israel or the US. Another example of encouraging people to let off steam in ways which do not harm the government.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lets spare a thought for the greens. Apologists for corruption all over europe!

Evening Echo | French public turn on Henry

Daniel Cohn-Bendit of the Green Party, agreed with Yade and insisted that Henry “had done his job.”

“It’s not cheating,” said Cohn-Bendit adding, “football is like that.”

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Since they like petitions so much will they respect one calling for a GE?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who are Fianna Fil?
    Actual morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religious morality is doing what you're told, regardless of if it's right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dear Brian Cowen,

I, along with thousands of viewers two years ago, watched FFcheat their way to Government.

The blatant blather and subsequent admission from from Bertie Ahern, the FF leader, that his handling of the economy didnt lead to the recession, which knocked Ireland out of the competition, is a travesty for the highest ideals that our nation represents.

Therefore I’m calling on you to hold an election.

It’s the least we owe the thousands of devastated young voters around Ireland. For the dignity and integrity of politics an election must be held.

You have been often quoted in the past about FF’s role in ensuring fair play and proper leadership. Here you have an opportunity to prove there is meaning behind these words and show children all over Ireland that in politics those who cheat will not succeed.

Yours sincerely,

The OD
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast