Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: JJ withdraws medals over British anthem at Croker

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default JJ withdraws medals over British anthem at Croker

WRITER and former GAA star JJ Barrett is to withdraw his father's medal collection from the Croke Park museum in a protest against the playing of 'God Save the Queen' at next weekend's Ireland versus England rugby match.

Mr Barrett, whose father Joe won six All-Ireland medals, has written to the director general of the GAA asking that the 23 medals be sent back to him prior to the game.

The move comes as extra measures are being put in place in the run-up to next weekend's match.

The medals in question include National League, Munster and Kerry medals, as well as a War of Independence medal. "I cannot reconcile the provocative words of 'God Save the Queen' being sung in the very stadium where Michael Hogan and others died at the hands of the crown forces on Bloody Sunday," he said. "The words run contrary to our constitution and I believe the GAA should have foreseen this problem when they rented out Croke Park and instead insisted on an 'England's Call'-type musical prelude - the sort we are confined to now when we play away from home."

In a letter to Liam Mulvihill, director general of the GAA, Mr Barrett said the GAA had a "duty of care" to GAA members past and present. "The arrogant war-mongering words of 'God Save the Queen' ringing out over Croke Park is surelypushing the boundaries of tolerance and common sense beyond what is expected in any republic."

Joe Barrett is one of the most acclaimed GAA players of all time as well as being a hero of the War of Independence.

Tomorrow, tourism body Visit Britain will host a function in the players' lounge of Croke Park celebrating English culture.

An article from the Indo today. I think its about time someone protested over whats going to happen this Saturday. Having the English rugby team play in Croker is one thing, and this alone has angered a lot of GAA members, but is allowing God Save The Queen not just adding fuel to what is quickly becoming a raging inferno? If the GAA has any princicples whatsoever and values it's members and not the money of foreign sports organisations, then it will demand another anthem be played on behalf of England this Saturday. This issue has been discussed a number of times here, and many are of the opinion that England is like any other nation and deserves to have it's national anthem played, but in reality its not like any other nation. Other nations didn't send their forces to the grounds of Croke Park to shoot dead innocent civilians, for which the British government has never even apologised for. And it amazes me how the English team can be so ignorant to the sensitivity of the issue of their team playing at Croker and they playing their national anthem, that they organise a function on the grounds of Croker celebrating English culture! Now thats really adding fuel to the blaze.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what a sad loser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: JJ withdraws medals over British anthem at Croker

Quote Originally Posted by Jim236

Mr Barrett, whose father Joe won six All-Ireland medals, has written to the director general of the GAA asking that the 23 medals be sent back to him prior to the game.
    I hope the GAA tell him that they don't want these medals back. Sectarism should have no place in Croke Park.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse

I hope the GAA tell him that they don't want these medals back. Sectarism should have no place in Croke Park.
    If the GAA ever did that, rejected the medals of one of their most successful players in favour of a British anthem being played on their grounds, then I would lose all respect for the organisation.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What to hell does this have to do with sectarianism? absolutely nothing. This is about the national anthem of a country which occupies part of Ireland, being played in the stadium of our national game, the same stadium where their army butchered Irish civilians.
    " Irish nationalism within British constitutionality is a contradiction in terms"
    Gerry Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quirk

What to hell does this have to do with sectarianism? absolutely nothing. This is about the national anthem of a country which occupies part of Ireland, being played in the stadium of our national game, the same stadium where their army butchered Irish civilians.
    It has everything to do with sectarianism. The people of Ireland voted recently that Nortern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. God Save The Queen is a legitimate an Irish anthem as the Soldiers Song.

To deny Irishmen in Northern Ireland the right to hear their national anthem played is sectarianism.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is about the national anthem of a country which occupies part of Ireland, being played in the stadium of our national game, the same stadium where their army butchered Irish civilians.
    the british national anthem was already played in croke park at the special olympics

which makes this current hoo-haa all the more pathetic

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not really bothered that England are playing at Croke Park.

However, the playing of God Save the queen will bother me and, if I was there, I would roundly boo it.

As a Republic (and personally as a Republican) the very idea of a monarchy should be abhorrent to this Nation. I believe it is also a sectarian monarchy which bestowes racist awards on people. The very idea of this should have all the FF/FG/Lab/PD heads on here going mad... but they don't for some strange reason. The very idea of a monarchy is a throwback to a backward, outdated and obselete times yet somehow it's all packaged that we're all mature by accepting it, accepting this monarchy is wrong. The words to the song are offensive to many, yes England have a right to have any song they wish as their anthem but then we have a right, as a Republic and a concerned Nation, not to play this song on our land.

I've posted about this on another board and basically I believe that when England have left our land, when they have apologised, when they have made up for centuries of abuse, murder, torture, discrimination, killing etc..., when they have admitted their part in the latest atrocities which have been uncovered, when they stop empire building in lands that have nothing to do with them, then we'll see.

For they STILL go round the world raping, killing, torturing stealing etc... in the name of "progress" and "peace".

All I am doing is disrespecting their anthem, they are STILL disrespecting my country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rover
    This is about the national anthem of a country which occupies part of Ireland, being played in the stadium of our national game, the same stadium where their army butchered Irish civilians.
    the british national anthem was already played in croke park at the special olympics

which makes this current hoo-haa all the more pathetic
    I don't think it was, I think that's a common mistake.

Can you provide a link?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sectarism should have no place in Croke Park.
    You're right, sectarianism should have no place in Croke Park and that's exactly why an anthem celebrating a sectarian monarchy should not be played at Croke Park.

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast